U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2018, 10:01 AM

445 posts, read 334,022 times

Advertisements

I think you have watched too much Alaska Reality TV .... Good Alaska fishing is very expensive, airplane only and on the order of a turbine Beaver. Average to poor with the masses is the norm. Likely no better than where you're at.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2018, 10:55 AM

228 posts, read 236,159 times
As Met said, we have really good fishing in the S.E. Its spendy if you do the guide/charter/lodge thing. You can rent a boat in Sitka or do the lodge thing which gets you everything. The gear you use is also included. Never been over to Kodiak but friends have done both fishing and hunting trips there and said it was great.

Old 04-04-2018, 01:36 PM

24 posts, read 12,253 times
Thanks everyone! yall are awesome!

Old 04-04-2018, 02:24 PM

278 posts, read 120,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RexLan View Post
I think you have watched too much Alaska Reality TV .... Good Alaska fishing is very expensive, airplane only and on the order of a turbine Beaver. Average to poor with the masses is the norm. Likely no better than where you're at.

Oh, I don't know about that. Fish for silvers in late August and September in much of south central Alaska and, while you won't be alone, it won't be the madness of June and July. Lot's of people have simply gotten tired of fishing by then, turned their attention to hunting, or get busy with school and other things.

Silver salmon are much more fun to catch than reds and better eating than chums. Plus, trout fishing starts to pickup early fall and it is not too late for a halibut charter. For the timeframe the OP is looking at, I think they'd have a good time if they flew into Anchorage, rented a car or RV and hit the Kenai Peninsula or even some of the Susitna streams. That wouldn't be too expensive by AK standards.

Old 04-04-2018, 03:32 PM

2,700 posts, read 3,746,884 times
If one doesn't want the expense of a fly-in fishery or a lodge, then there are some good spots along the road system, as Northrick pointed out above.

For rainbow trout and late season salmon, try the Talkeetna area and Byers Lake area. I forget which salmon specie is an August/September breeder (silvers?), but the outlet to Byers Lake and Troublesome Creek are interesting places because the larger rainbows feed on salmon parts. You just have to beware that you are competing with bears, which is why it is called Troublesome Creek. (When they were building the Alaskan Railroad, the creek got its name; that's my understanding.) The only time I was ever charged by a grizzly was beside Byers Lake so one has to keep their wits about them.

There are riverboat operators who for not too much expense can take you up the Talkeetna and Susitna Rivers and drop off for half day or full day fishing. It's not the Susitna that they fish on (glacial fed) but clearwater streams that drain into the Susitna. Mahay's River Boat Service is the one name that I remember.

For grayling, drive northeast out of Fairbanks up the Chena Hot Springs road. The Chena River, especially the upper parts, is a great grayling fishery. They made it catch-and-release quite a few years ago and the fish are now up above 18 inches in length. Fly fishing for grayling is easier than for trout and it is a good place to practice casting to holding fish. They may now allow one to keep a fish or two, but grayling aren't the tastiest fish so I always released.

Old 04-04-2018, 03:33 PM

20,418 posts, read 26,539,344 times
^Sounds like a good plan. Plenty of river fishing available on the road system in SE as well during the times the OP specified. Steelhead, rainbows, dolly varden, cutthroat, and silvers in the rivers in September. The ocean charter guys usually wind down by the end of August.

The OP didn't claim to be looking for a cheap vacation. Most people know that's not going to happen. But I think many people have an overall better experience if they bypass the luxury lodges.

Here's that Forest Service cabin I mentioned:

https://www.recreation.gov/camping/t...O&parkId=72063

There are others that you need to be flown out to. There are also lodges and Air B and Bs.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 04-04-2018 at 04:55 PM..

Old 04-11-2018, 09:30 PM

1,563 posts, read 2,037,428 times
Nushagak !!

Old 04-14-2018, 03:49 PM

1,316 posts, read 938,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RexLan View Post
???????

I have not heard anything so ridiculous in a while....

Old 04-14-2018, 03:50 PM

1,316 posts, read 938,171 times
OP - you can't go wrong in Kodiak! Homer is good too for what you want, if you are wanting to stay on the road system. Personally I like SE for silvers in September. I can get my fish and my deer in the same trip.

Old 04-15-2018, 08:55 AM

445 posts, read 334,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzile View Post
???????

I have not heard anything so ridiculous in a while....

I know you're a big time hunter and fisher-person but like I said GOOD Alaska fishing. You really have no concept.

Funny too ... people in Florida call it the fishing capital of the world. Well, it actually is pretty poor and the fish quality is extremely poor due mostly to pollution and the higher water temperatures. I tried it a few times and decided it simply was not worth getting out of bed for. I guess from near 40 years of GOOD Alaska fishing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or