U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2018, 10:50 AM

24 posts, read 12,253 times

Advertisements

Planning a trip with the hubby and we love fishing i mean LOVE fishing, where is the best place in Alaska to fish.....we are down in the southeaster part of the US so fishing is plentiful down here we like fresh fishing as well as salt water, just dont know that much about where to go in Alaska.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2018, 02:48 PM

2,557 posts, read 3,927,693 times
Where in Alaska are you headed and what time of year?

Old 04-03-2018, 04:49 PM

1,777 posts, read 1,168,616 times
Alaska is huge. I personally think the best fishing is anywhere in the southwest portion of the state, but I doubt you are visiting southwest.

What are you wanting to fish for? Where are you staying?

Old 04-03-2018, 07:12 PM

20,419 posts, read 26,544,024 times
I think the best fishing is in SE, but it's probably more expensive than other options.

Don't count on catching any king salmon this year.

Old 04-03-2018, 07:46 PM

I know my hubby wants salmon but not sure what kind and I love halibut and fishing for rainbow trout is always fun. We were looking and there seem to be a lot of fishing lodges throughout Alaska, and since we have never fished there something with a guide is good. I've been reading and it does seem like southeast is the area we need to be in and we heard Denali national park is nice. Just looking for some suggestions on where to stay my hubby hates big cities he wants to see the countryside.

Old 04-03-2018, 07:47 PM

oh and we were think late summer like August or even September

Old 04-03-2018, 07:50 PM

2,557 posts, read 3,927,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSliving View Post
You'll need to time your trip & pick your location based on what fish are running where...

Old 04-03-2018, 08:03 PM

Somewhere around Homer if you want to go for both halibut and salmon. Although we do have halibut in SE, but the Homer area seems to be the place to be for halibut.

Late summer still has some silvers, but red runs in most areas are done. They'll be restricting king salmon for sports fishers pretty severely, but that's too late for them anyway. People also come up to SE (not sure about the rest of the state) for river steelhead fishing in Sept.

Old 04-03-2018, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Just looking for some suggestions on where to stay my hubby hates big cities he wants to see the countryside.
If you decide to come to SE, there are some cabin rentals as well as fishing lodges -- there's even a Forest Service cabin on POW -- Prince of Wales Island -- that's on the road system that rents out, but it probably books up pretty fast.

Old 04-04-2018, 12:47 AM

1,777 posts, read 1,168,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSliving View Post
You will need to understand,and itís been mentioned already, that you have to time your visit with the salmon runs.

In southwest, the kings typically show up in June. What date? No one knows exactly. If you arrive before them, oh well. You most likely wonít catch any. As of now, we havenít heard of a king restriction like other parts of the state. July 4thish is red season. They show up in numbers. August is when the silvers show up. Possibly even in to September.

I donít think you need a guide. Charter a boat for halibut, but Iíve always thought that paying a guide wasnít necessary if you know how to fish. Main thing is just getting to the right spot. South central has the easiest and most cost effective fishing IMO, but the crowds.

I know nothing of southeast, and Iím sure itís great fishing, and one day Iíll get a chance to fish that part of the state.

Iím not sure if there is better rainbow fishing than southwest. But everyone will have their own opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or