U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2018, 10:53 PM

1,777 posts, read 1,168,616 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by riceme View Post
Oh, I was totally kidding. No one is telling Pitts anything. You must not be following along in the "We're #1 in STDs" thread, lol. He's been told nine ways from Sunday that if he wanted work, he would be working, but with all of his conditions on employment, he has eliminated 99.9% of the jobs he's qualified for in Alaska. His unemployment status is not a mystery.
Yeah. I admit Iíve not been in that thread. But I bet the retoric is the same. 12 year contract with no lay offs. Moving expense in case I bail, beer and pizza money, etc...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2018, 11:04 PM

1,941 posts, read 1,687,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haolejohn View Post
Yeah. I admit Iíve not been in that thread. But I bet the retoric is the same. 12 year contract with no lay offs. Moving expense in case I bail, beer and pizza money, etc...
Ahh, pretty close: Won't work on the slope, won't work at a mine site, definitely won't work at an underground mine, won't work in the field, won't work a 2/2 schedule, won't travel,... Make it simple and sum it up to say that he just won't work in Alaska.

They call it "work" for a reason.

Old 04-30-2018, 11:22 PM

6,058 posts, read 2,492,570 times
Quote:
If you ever wonder why you're unemployed, just let me know and I'll explain it to you.
You do realize that rotational work in the middle of nowhere is not normal right? nor is it good for relationships and marriages. I dont mind doing hard work, im just not willing to **** away my marriage to rotational work schedules.

I understand your circle is rotational culture but that culture is not common and most people dont want the rotational work life style if they have a family.

So yes, I do wonder why i am unemployed but not for the reasons that you think.

Old 04-30-2018, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Oh, I was totally kidding. No one is telling Pitts anything. You must not be following along in the "We're #1 in STDs" thread, lol. He's been told nine ways from Sunday that if he wanted work, he would be working, but with all of his conditions on employment, he has eliminated 99.9% of the jobs he's qualified for in Alaska. His unemployment status is not a mystery.
my requirements for contracts is only if I already have a job, so the only thing I wont do is rotational / remote site work. For a senior engineer I dont think thats unreasonable. I dont mind doing occasional trips but I am not going to insesantly travel to remote sites for weeks at a time.

Unfortunatly there is more expection of this in AK than in the lower 48 but there are still plenty of jobs in anchorage I just cant seem to land any right now, such is life, that is outside of my control. I dont place any conditions on employment if I am unemployed, that is only if someone is trying to recruit me away from my current employer.

Old 04-30-2018, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Ahh, pretty close: Won't work on the slope, won't work at a mine site, definitely won't work at an underground mine, won't work in the field, won't work a 2/2 schedule, won't travel,... Make it simple and sum it up to say that he just won't work in Alaska.

They call it "work" for a reason.
Those are all rotational work, dont try to rename the same thing to make it sound like something its not. Rotational work is unhealhty for marraiges, its not the work that is the issue it is the life style.

I worked in AK for 13 years so its not impossible to get a job that is not rotational.

Old 04-30-2018, 11:33 PM

20,417 posts, read 26,539,344 times
Idk, I think if a 2/2 rotation is going to screw up a marriage, it couldn't have been very strong anyway.

Did you ever get that Russian mail order bride or did you find this one in Anchorage?

Old 05-01-2018, 12:16 AM

1,941 posts, read 1,687,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
You do realize that rotational work in the middle of nowhere is not normal right? nor is it good for relationships and marriages. I dont mind doing hard work, im just not willing to **** away my marriage to rotational work schedules.

I understand your circle is rotational culture but that culture is not common and most people dont want the rotational work life style if they have a family.

You're right - it is normal to me. It's been normal to me my whole life. You missed my point, so I'll say it plainly. Don't whine that there are no jobs or that no one is hiring when that is not the case. There are jobs. You just don't want them.

Call it what it is.

You have piqued my interest, though. Why is it that YOU think you're unemployed?

Old 05-01-2018, 12:31 AM

Quote:

Pitts Iím with you with the rotational schedule and married life. I turned down a security gig on the slope because of that. I also turned down contract work in Iraq because of marriage. The money isnít worth the time away from family.

I can tell you why youíre unemployed, but you wonít believe me.

Old 05-01-2018, 12:33 AM

Quote:
I dont place any conditions on employment if I am unemployed, that is only if someone is trying to recruit me away from my current employer.
Really? Are you all bark?

Old 05-01-2018, 12:46 AM

841 posts, read 609,996 times
Unfortunately UAA and UAF don't offer a course in common sense. I know some one who could really use it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska