Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2018, 01:57 AM

7,654 posts, read 5,113,409 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haolejohn View Post
Really? Are you all bark?
If you were recruited to a new roll you are now last in first out status, unless you were already unemployed why would you accept this without legal protections? Unless it were to move to a federal GS position which would be an exception.

I have to get off this site, this is some really downer stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2018, 10:46 AM

1,931 posts, read 2,169,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
If you were recruited to a new roll you are now last in first out status, unless you were already unemployed why would you accept this without legal protections? Unless it were to move to a federal GS position which would be an exception.

I accept any job if needed that pays and sometimes you just have to accept the terms. Crappy terms are better than no terms.

Old 05-01-2018, 11:16 AM

459 posts, read 585,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post

I tend to agree with you most of the time actually. If you can get by without working until you find something that fits then good for you. I am confident when/if the time comes that work is a necessity you will become flexible. No fault in that at all.

The main difficulty on this site, as you are seeing, is the lot of these armchair experts don't know what it means to have the PE (I'm still out on Haloejohn - young teacher) after your name or what that takes. I did the ME side and specialized in HVAC with a heck of allot more opportunity cutting my teeth with Bechtel and Micheal Baker International. But, I quickly learned I could make a LOT more $$ with my tools and my Journeyman Pipe Fitters card out of Local 375 in Fairbanks when Johnson Controls made me an offer i could not refuse!! I hung up the old HP-45 and grabbed a wrench.

Never went out of town and told them I would not and I never worked on the slope. I like my own bed and being home at night!! But I would have if necessary and I could not find the wife a second job ... lol. Maybe that's why my marriage has only lasted 48 years ... so far.

I don't know if UAF has changed but I finished there coming from UCR in the early 70's and UAF was a damn joke. About the poorest thing called a University there can be. Half the profs could barely speak English and the others are just not real bright. They make a bloody fortune and rate a 3 on a 10 point scale. Seems odd that they offer little or nothing in Anchorage.

Last edited by RexLan; 05-01-2018 at 12:14 PM..

Old 05-01-2018, 02:59 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,860,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riceme View Post
Ahh, pretty close: Won't work on the slope, won't work at a mine site, definitely won't work at an underground mine, won't work in the field, won't work a 2/2 schedule, won't travel,... Make it simple and sum it up to say that he just won't work in Alaska.

They call it "work" for a reason.
Wants to go back to school, but not if it costs time or money...

Old 05-01-2018, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
Wants to go back to school, but not if it costs time or money...

I am guessing you are the guy that gets into emotional financial decisions and gets burned. I was just reading up on this, this is why alot of land lords / real estate investors go bankrupt, they OVER PAY. I did that for my first degree and I got burned, I wont do it again. My spidy sense tells me that what ever is going on with employers its not an issue of people having to few certs/degrees. The only exception might be the feds but I am having a hard time getting a straight answer out of any that i contact.

Old 05-01-2018, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RexLan View Post
I tend to agree with you most of the time actually. If you can get by without working until you find something that fits then good for you. I am confident when/if the time comes that work is a necessity you will become flexible. No fault in that at all.

The main difficulty on this site, as you are seeing, is the lot of these armchair experts don't know what it means to have the PE (I'm still out on Haloejohn - young teacher) after your name or what that takes. I did the ME side and specialized in HVAC with a heck of allot more opportunity cutting my teeth with Bechtel and Micheal Baker International. But, I quickly learned I could make a LOT more $$ with my tools and my Journeyman Pipe Fitters card out of Local 375 in Fairbanks when Johnson Controls made me an offer i could not refuse!! I hung up the old HP-45 and grabbed a wrench.

Never went out of town and told them I would not and I never worked on the slope. I like my own bed and being home at night!! But I would have if necessary and I could not find the wife a second job ... lol. Maybe that's why my marriage has only lasted 48 years ... so far.

I don't know if UAF has changed but I finished there coming from UCR in the early 70's and UAF was a damn joke. About the poorest thing called a University there can be. Half the profs could barely speak English and the others are just not real bright. They make a bloody fortune and rate a 3 on a 10 point scale. Seems odd that they offer little or nothing in Anchorage.
It is political, UAF has alot of clout politically, few people want to live in fairbanks

Old 05-01-2018, 04:08 PM

1,931 posts, read 2,169,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RexLan View Post

Not a young teacher.

I’m at that point where a career change makes no sense, though the writing is on the wall.
Of course, if need be, I’d make a career change.

Old 05-01-2018, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haolejohn View Post
Not a young teacher.

I’m at that point where a career change makes no sense, though the writing is on the wall.
Of course, if need be, I’d make a career change.
Depends on what your interests are, my interests are varied and I have the capacity to learn new things pretty fast. My only thing is I am not going to go work in a dreary crap hole for long periods of time away from my wife, it is simply not going to happen, I can go work at brown jug in mt view before I live in a dirty dilapidated man camp on the slope in a twin bed by myself. Or at some mine site with a bunch of dudes in cots like some kind of pseudo prison camp lol. I think it is interesting, that because little subcultures of people have devleoped where working these sorts of extreme work schedules has become "normal" in some circles there is this sort of pseudo expectation that anyone should just take these jobs, thats almost like saying oh you cant find a job, why dont you just go join the infantry, because thats a normal job that anyone can do lol.

I would not mind working at the coal mines out by Palmer if they ever opened up, I could work a shift and go home.

The crux of the issue is getting credentials and education you need to make that switch while you still have a good job. I had the rug pulled out from under me about 2-3 years before I was fully ready to make the transition thus I would never go back to my original employer once I have another job. I consider it a serious breach of trust. Had I been the absolute last person in the group to go ... that might have been a different issue but thats not what happened.

Dont be affraid to start taking course work and seeking out credentials in what ever it is you want to transition into now before you actually need it.

Old 05-01-2018, 08:01 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,688,413 times
Brown Jug in Mt. View sounds good. Or some meth head could shoot you on your first day and you could end up paralyzed from the waste down. And because the wages are so low you'd be drawing a poverty level check on workers comp. and since you'd be the new guy at Brown Jug you'd end up on the late evening shift and have to work evenings and holidays. And your wife, well she'd be sound asleep when you got home or out partying on the weekends.

Old 05-01-2018, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
Brown Jug in Mt. View sounds good. Or some meth head could shoot you on your first day and you could end up paralyzed from the waste down. And because the wages are so low you'd be drawing a poverty level check on workers comp. and since you'd be the new guy at Brown Jug you'd end up on the late evening shift and have to work evenings and holidays. And your wife, well she'd be sound asleep when you got home or out partying on the weekends.
When is the last time that someone has been shot and paralyzed at a brown jug? I have never heard of that happening ever.

If the schedule exactly over lapped to the point I never saw my wife I would not take it. I am sure if it came to the point I was having to take a brown jug job in mt view we would have a family meeting and get help.

I am sure I could get a job in the warehouse too. Also i dont know if you have noticed but slope jobs are not the golden parachute, retire in 5 years wages they used to be. Most of them are just ok pay for living in a crap hole (maybe 20-30/hr).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska