U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2018, 10:22 PM

1,777 posts, read 1,169,989 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
Depends on what your interests are, my interests are varied and I have the capacity to learn new things pretty fast. My only thing is I am not going to go work in a dreary crap hole for long periods of time away from my wife, it is simply not going to happen, I can go work at brown jug in mt view before I live in a dirty dilapidated man camp on the slope in a twin bed by myself. Or at some mine site with a bunch of dudes in cots like some kind of pseudo prison camp lol. I think it is interesting, that because little subcultures of people have devleoped where working these sorts of extreme work schedules has become "normal" in some circles there is this sort of pseudo expectation that anyone should just take these jobs, thats almost like saying oh you cant find a job, why dont you just go join the infantry, because thats a normal job that anyone can do lol.

I would not mind working at the coal mines out by Palmer if they ever opened up, I could work a shift and go home.

The crux of the issue is getting credentials and education you need to make that switch while you still have a good job. I had the rug pulled out from under me about 2-3 years before I was fully ready to make the transition thus I would never go back to my original employer once I have another job. I consider it a serious breach of trust. Had I been the absolute last person in the group to go ... that might have been a different issue but thats not what happened.

Dont be affraid to start taking course work and seeking out credentials in what ever it is you want to transition into now before you actually need it.
Pitts I get what your saying. I have no desire to be away from my family for 6 months out of the year. None.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2018, 10:49 PM

20,423 posts, read 26,550,284 times
Quote:
I think it is interesting, that because little subcultures of people have devleoped where working these sorts of extreme work schedules has become "normal" in some circles there is this sort of pseudo expectation that anyone should just take these jobs, thats almost like saying oh you cant find a job, why dont you just go join the infantry, because thats a normal job that anyone can do lol.
It's more like many of your posts since you lost your job have made it sound like the wolf was beating down your door; it wasn't until recently we learned that you had savings, a wife with a job, and family meetings to rely on.

Old 05-01-2018, 10:53 PM

6,078 posts, read 2,498,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
It's more like many of your posts since you lost your job have made it sound like the wolf was beating down your door; it wasn't until recently we learned that you had savings, a wife with a job, and family meetings to rely on.
I apologize for making it sound that way. If it were that dire I would have already rented the house out and bought a pop up camper for my truck and trailer for my plane and moved in with parents and been looking for a job out of state from my parents house.

Its not so much the money issues as it was the circumstances with which things happened. A friend of mine high up in BP gave me his address so I am writing him a letter to figure out what happened. I was entrenched in BP, I had almost literally memorized almost all of the Prudhoe bay drawings (probably over 1000 drawings). Something happened and I want to know what, there were contractors in my group doing what I do with less experience that were able to move on to other things without getting laid off.

I dont really like being unemployed because its not like I am retired, I eventually have to get a job, its not a vacation because I have to put in 40 hrs a week networking and looking for jobs plus training I still do.

Old 05-01-2018, 11:00 PM

6,078 posts, read 2,498,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haolejohn View Post
Pitts I get what your saying. I have no desire to be away from my family for 6 months out of the year. None.
What are you trying to transition into? Telecom is a great place to land but the barriers to entry seem to be very high.

Old 05-01-2018, 11:38 PM

Quote:
What are you trying to transition into? Telecom is a great place to land but the barriers to entry seem to be very high.
Iím fine where Iím at right now. Iím moving to a new district. A new philosophy that I love, and I hope that passion is reignited.

I know I can make more money going into the medical field, or sales, or telecom, anything else. However, I enjoy shaping the future.

Education is not the high dollar industry, but it is vital to our nations success. There are times I want to make more money. I wonít lie. But I really didnít choose my career to make lots of money.

Old 05-02-2018, 08:44 AM

445 posts, read 334,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haolejohn View Post
Not a young teacher.

Iím at that point where a career change makes no sense, though the writing is on the wall.
Of course, if need be, Iíd make a career change.
My apologies.

I wrongly assumed" since you were in bush teaching and paying off student loans and just now having children that you were "young". I believe you also indicated special ed.

If career change is on the menu this may be a good time to select it.

Old 05-02-2018, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RexLan View Post
My apologies.

I wrongly assumed" since you were in bush teaching and paying off student loans and just now having children that you were "young". I believe you also indicated special ed.

If career change is on the menu this may be a good time to select it.
Military. Law enforcement. Personal training. Sales. Repo. Bomb disposal and tourist jobs were in my past. I was nontraditional.

Iím at that point where Iím getting up there in age for a career change. Iím still young. At least I feel that way, but Iím nearing the age where a career change wouldnít be worth it in the long run. Itís the financial comforts that draw me away at times. But life isnít all about money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska