Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2008, 03:20 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,947,412 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandLady View Post
Thank you for the link...that is what I was thinking, but I had seen some listed as in-floor heating and others radiant and I wasn't certain if they were virtually the same. I hope you are having a lovely day of it....the sun has finally appeared here!
Thanks! It got up to 90* here today, ugh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2008, 04:55 PM

18,356 posts, read 26,486,435 times
Quote:
Thank you for the link...that is what I was thinking, but I had seen some listed as in-floor heating and others radiant and I wasn't certain if they were virtually the same. I hope you are having a lovely day of it....the sun has finally appeared here!
Radiant can also refer to old style radiators or baseboard heaters (I know, technically they aren't true, pure radiant heat sources but in common usage they are called such).

Old 03-28-2008, 05:09 PM

4,137 posts, read 9,103,223 times
Oh ugh...90º? That is daft. We struggled to reach 40º but still have the windchills to contend with. Snow still abounds on the mountain, but the sun at least showed his face this day.

Thank you, arctichomesteader....I didn't notice any baseboard heaters in any of the images or in the virtual tour. The home does have a fireplace, but there was some sort of device sitting in the midst of it and a similar device upstairs. However, they claim it has been remodeled recently with new flooring...who knows eh? It will be one of those things I will have to see for myself. All I know is they listed it with 'radiant' as the heating source and I was a wee bit perplexed

Old 03-28-2008, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Thank you, arctichomesteader....I didn't notice any baseboard heaters in any of the images or in the virtual tour. The home does have a fireplace, but there was some sort of device sitting in the midst of it and a similar device upstairs. However, they claim it has been remodeled recently with new flooring...who knows eh? It will be one of those things I will have to see for myself. All I know is they listed it with 'radiant' as the heating source and I was a wee bit perplexed
You could always hire Marty as a consultant to assist you with looking at the different homes...

Old 03-28-2008, 06:34 PM

Yes, you are quite right. In fact his site is on my bookmarked list

Old 03-28-2008, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Yes, you are quite right. In fact his site is on my bookmarked list
I like watching his home movies of going through houses with his camera. I had my eye on a piece of property in Willow that was around 250 acres with a tiny cabin on it. It had a mile of paved road & it had electricity a mile in, not to the cabin though. I think it was around $350k. I really wish I'd had the money. I'd move some friends onto the land as caretakers till I could get up & build a house. That's my dream anyways. One day...

Old 03-28-2008, 07:43 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,167,593 times
Radiant heating can be in the floor as well as against the wall such as Slant Fin heating pipes (with fins). If you saw something like "in-floor heating" and "radiant heating," more than likely one is in-floor-radiant, and the other just next to the wall radiant heating. Both systems are widely used in the interior. Both require a boiler and circulating pumps to run either hot water, or a mixture of glycol and water.

In some areas near Anchorage, natural gas is used for heating the house, which is much cheaper than heating fuel. There is no natural gas available to consumers in most of the interior, so heating one's home costs a fortune these days. Some folks are paying around $1,000 per month just on utilities alone (heating fuel and electricity), but I am paying around $600.00 per month ($600 x 12 months a year) at the moment, since my home only has 1,700 Square-feet of living space plus a dual heated-garage. By summer I will be paying around $800.00 per month, since both heating fuel and electricity will reach a higher price.

Last edited by RayinAK; 03-28-2008 at 08:04 PM..

Old 03-28-2008, 08:57 PM

Barkingowl: Yes, he actually is pleasant to listen to (my apologies for rather chatting behind yon back, Marty ) There is one place he spent a LOT of time in the woodshop and my husband still is drooling. I do hope you are able to realize yon dream one day. What is sad, Wyoming used to be the least expensive place to live, and in some aspects this is truth. However, housing costs are out of this world...what would cost perhaps 200-300k in Alaska is now averaging 600-700k here.

RayinAK: thank you for that 'heads-up'. Those figures are daunting to say the least. Natural gas has increased substantially these past few years, last Winter nearly did us in. I do appreciate the information.

Old 03-29-2008, 12:11 AM

2,519 posts, read 7,031,543 times
OK...that's embarrasing. I better get off my duff and put up some more videos.

Highlandlady, I think that you are wise in waiting until you actually see the property before you commit. I always suggest that people not buy a house without walking in it, smelling it, tasting the water, looking at the neighbors, listening to the train rumble through the back yard...etc.

We realtors take photos of the most attractive parts of any property...that's our job. If you see a lot of photos of the outside of a house...but none of the inside, that's a hint. And the same is true in reverse. Some old time alaskans let the outside of the house look unfinished when it's like a palace inside. They never let the tax assessor darken the doorway.

So you need to personally inspect any property that you buy...before you commit.

Videos are much harder to hide stuff with. If I take a video of a house...you know it's a nice house, because I can't hide the ugly parts.

Old 03-29-2008, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Van Diest View Post
OK...that's embarrasing. I better get off my duff and put up some more videos.

Highlandlady, I think that you are wise in waiting until you actually see the property before you commit. I always suggest that people not buy a house without walking in it, smelling it, tasting the water, looking at the neighbors, listening to the train rumble through the back yard...etc.

We realtors take photos of the most attractive parts of any property...that's our job. If you see a lot of photos of the outside of a house...but none of the inside, that's a hint. And the same is true in reverse. Some old time alaskans let the outside of the house look unfinished when it's like a palace inside. They never let the tax assessor darken the doorway.

So you need to personally inspect any property that you buy...before you commit.

Videos are much harder to hide stuff with. If I take a video of a house...you know it's a nice house, because I can't hide the ugly parts.
And you are appreciated for the videos you have posted. I do hope the man reads this particular missive...he wishes to purchase the home I found in Willow...and wants it purchased yesterday. The visual tour is adequate, showing both inside and out fairly equally, but I do know that it doesn't show ALL. And yes, I agree...if one is going to make an investment of this sort, being physically THERE is of the utmost importance. I would be fibbing a wee bit if I didn't say I hope this particular home becomes our own...my heart is set on it also. Bah, I hope time flies until I fly up next month. This will be my first visit to Alaska, for all of 5 days of home searching/purchasing...the husband states I really should leave the camera and gear home - HA. I can certainly multi-task!

And I do apologize if I did embarrass you... I stumbled upon the video of that particular home a few months ago and had to hear about the woodshop and all the tools for WEEKS. I am all for tools...am quite proud of my collection...but he was as a kid in a candy store. You did a grand job with that one!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska