U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2006, 09:38 PM

10 posts, read 40,484 times

Advertisements

Okay,
Well we are waiting for the letter it should be in NE day now from Ft Greely to tell us wether we are coming or not lol I am wondering about Medical facilities in A.) Fort Greely Alaska & B.) Delta Junction. NE Help would be HIGHLY Appreciated !!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2006, 12:51 AM
Aly

16 posts, read 52,888 times
Where else have you lived since being in the Army? Alaska is very, very different from any other U.S. post. It is awesome and amazing but very remote. Depending on where else you've been, medical facilities may not be what you are used to. However, since you are attached to the Army you will have access to something which the average local in the Delta area may not.... Delta is very small and very rural.... Again, though, it depends on what you are used to and your expectations.

Old 05-06-2006, 07:38 AM

10 posts, read 40,484 times
Talking Ty :-*

Aly,
Hey well I am used to just about every town having a Hospital or Clinic. Nothing Fancy or High Class but nonetheless easy medical access lol HOWEVER Due to all the research and so forth & questions I have been asking my husband's new NCOIC I have come to expect to have to drive to Fairbanks for Medical lol GAWD Hope I don't slice my neck open or something lmao But from my understanding there is a small lil' hospital in Delta or doctors or something...I just don't know what lol I suppose I will find out when we get there this month lol WE GOT ACCEPTED lol sry I have been my "We're movin' to Alaska" Victory dance for the last 2-3 days lol *HUGZ*

Losing Myself (Ash)
338/244 -94lbs 4.5 Months Po-Op
removed

Last edited by Marka; 05-06-2006 at 11:11 AM..

Old 05-06-2006, 11:10 AM
Aly

16 posts, read 52,888 times
Default ~

Hi,

I remember that victory dance. I did it for about 5 months when the army assigned my husband to Ft. Wainwright back in 1996. It had seemed like an impossible dream and then it happened!

We have been here for 10 years now and are still head over heels in love with Alaska. It is the most awesome, beautiful, free and peaceful place we have ever lived. I hope you like the outdoors because that is what the area of Alaska you are moving to has to offer. Fairbanks will be your closest big town and is where we lived for 8 years. They have all the modern conveniences.

I don't know much about Delta except that we went through it several times on trips to Valdez. It is very, very small but has convenience stores, a few restaurants and motels, etc. I know even less about Ft. Greely. We drove onto it one time just to check it out. It was a typical Army base but, again, very, very small and in the middle of nowhere.

Congratulations on the move to Alaska. It will be an experience like none other in your life. We have never, ever regretted moving here.

Let me know if I can answer any questions, especially about Fairbanks.

~Aly

Old 07-27-2006, 07:47 AM

69 posts, read 238,794 times
I don't know if you are still checking this post, but there is a doctor's office in Delta Junction. One of my coworkers had to go and said they were nice there. But most medical facilities would be in Fairbanks. We went there for medical stuff and chiropractor, however in the case of an emergency I always wondered what we would do! Delta does have a rescue squad though, and I knew two of them, and they are great!

Old 08-15-2006, 11:12 AM

2 posts, read 10,652 times
Willow, If you're still looking at this post, I would just like you to concur with Aly. Alaska can be one your life's great adventures. Alaska is probably unlike any place you've ever been. I did three tours of duty in Alaska (because I kept asking to go back), the last of which was at Ft Greely (1987-89). I thought it may have been closed by now.

I would call Ft Greely remote, but not isolated as there is a highway and you can drive to Fairbanks or Anchorage. Keep an open mind about Alaska and what it has to offer. Ft Greely was definitely the absolute best of my three tours up north. I suppose that being in my mid 30's at that point may have a little something to do with it. Embrace the opportunity, enjoy Alaska while you can. I certainly wish I could go back.

Old 11-02-2006, 06:29 PM

10 posts, read 32,938 times
Thumbs up still checking?

If you are still checking this you will be happy to know that there is a medical clinic in Delta. They are very good at referring on to either Fairbanks or Anchorage either by POV or helicopter if they feel they need to. We have been happy with all of our care there. For speciality care we do go to Basset in Fairbanks, but that doesn't happen to often for us. If you are still checking this, let me know if you have any other questions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska