Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2018, 10:56 AM

532 posts, read 445,441 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strewth View Post
Hello,

I'm a British RN (qualified 10 years ago) with a background in ED, cardiac critical care, theatre recovery and research.

Are there any overseas nurses out there who could give me any hints/advice on how to go about getting a State of Alaska nursing licence, VISAs and that sort of thing. Have there been any issues come up that you had not previously considered?

And also generally, how nursing Alaska compares to nursing in other places.

I have been working as a Nurse in Alaska for most of the last 10 years.

I don't have knowledge about obtaining an Alaska License but have a couple ideas.
There are postings for contract nurse positions in Alaska if they are interested in you they may be able to assist you in licensing. There is a web site called Indeed.com I have a free account set up that sends me emails on current and new RN jobs. https://www.indeed.com/
You can post your resume there as well. I also have a resume posted on LinkedIn

Critical care background should serve you well in looking for a job here.

Anchorage has most of the big Hospitals /Med Centers and would probably have a big enough recruiting department to have some Licensing information. I would call direct and or send a resume to 1. Providence 2. Alaska Regional Medical Center

I highly recommend trying to get a critical care contract position, 13 weeks usually, get a feel for Alaska.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2018, 12:53 PM

3,146 posts, read 4,100,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by royalabran View Post
I have been working as a Nurse in Alaska for most of the last 10 years.

I don't have knowledge about obtaining an Alaska License but have a couple ideas.
There are postings for contract nurse positions in Alaska if they are interested in you they may be able to assist you in licensing. There is a web site called Indeed.com I have a free account set up that sends me emails on current and new RN jobs. https://www.indeed.com/
You can post your resume there as well. I also have a resume posted on LinkedIn

Critical care background should serve you well in looking for a job here.

Anchorage has most of the big Hospitals /Med Centers and would probably have a big enough recruiting department to have some Licensing information. I would call direct and or send a resume to 1. Providence 2. Alaska Regional Medical Center

I highly recommend trying to get a critical care contract position, 13 weeks usually, get a feel for Alaska.
I think this is the best piece of advice, especially if you can experience a taste of winter up here.

Summer is easy but winter, especially the shortened days (like 4-5 hours of sunlight or less) are the real challenge.

If you've never been to Alaska for any length of time, then it will be quite a culture shock because this is a very unique place and you may find it's not your cup of tea (no pun intended).

I don't wish to discourage you but to prepare you because it's very different up here and it's not for most people.

Old 08-09-2018, 01:20 PM

9,283 posts, read 14,888,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
LOL. Also it's a "résumé", not a "CV". Some American-English might be a big help to getting your job. Good luck.
CV can be used in the US. Plenty of people use the term.

https://www.themuse.com/advice/cv-vs...he-differences

Old 08-09-2018, 02:15 PM

2,114 posts, read 2,343,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
I'm not aware of there being much demand for nurses that have experience with Erectile Dysfunction.
The reference is to the emergency department.

Old 08-09-2018, 04:04 PM

15,416 posts, read 9,044,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
CV can be used in the US. Plenty of people use the term.

https://www.themuse.com/advice/cv-vs...he-differences
I believe the OP was referring to what we would call a résumé. There is a difference.

Quote:
What is a CV?

In the US:

The word CV is used in the US, but it tends to be restricted to the world of academia and university CVs. In America, a CV is generally far longer than a resume (think 10 pages instead of one or two), and contains a list of all of an applicant’s achievements, publications, awards, responsibilities, etc. It is not commonly called for when applying for non-technical or academic roles.

In the UK:

Traditionally, a CV is an in-depth document that gives an overview of a person’s entire career, in chronological order, spanning several pages. It includes detail of your academic grades, where you went to school, and any other accomplishments, like awards and honours. It also typically includes a small personal statement, detailing your aims, hobbies and interests outside of your career.

It is designed to give a complete picture of your ‘course of life’ and is supposed to be static – i.e., the same CV is used regardless of the job you apply for and you make changes only to your cover letter, not your CV.

Today however, a CV in the UK tends to fall somewhere between a traditional CV and a resume. As a general rule, employers don’t want to have to read pages and pages about every single one of your achievements. So today’s UK CVs have been slimmed down, typically to around two pages, detailing only the things that you have achieved that you think are relevant to the specific job you are applying for.

Everything is still listed in chronological order, and a little detail is still given about your education – although high school details tend to be omitted in favour of higher education only, i.e., forget your school grades, but do include details of your university or college course(s) and grades.

Today’s British CVs are now tailored for each different job that you apply for.
British CVs vs American CVs – What’s the difference_

Old 08-09-2018, 06:46 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,579,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orca17 View Post
The reference is to the emergency department.

Yeah, someone mentioned that earlier. But our RN granddaughter also refers to it as the ER. I had never heard of it referred to as the ED. Ask people was ED stands for and I'd venture to the number one response would be erectile dysfunction.

Old 08-10-2018, 10:40 AM

284 posts, read 404,557 times
I work in the ED. There, now you've heard a nurse refer to the emergency dept.!

Old 08-10-2018, 10:53 AM

27,074 posts, read 11,839,154 times
Have you visited Alaska???

Old 08-10-2018, 12:48 PM

15,416 posts, read 9,044,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rntim View Post
I work in the ED. There, now you've heard a nurse refer to the emergency dept.!
On a day to day basis do you say ED or ER? My mother was a nurse, and I never heard her refer to it to anything other than ER.

From what I can tell, the correct word is ED. Most medical institutions consider ER to be an outdated term, since even in small hospitals it's more than a single room. Despite that, ER still seems to be the most common term.

Old 08-10-2018, 02:19 PM

532 posts, read 445,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
On a day to day basis do you say ED or ER? My mother was a nurse, and I never heard her refer to it to anything other than ER.

From what I can tell, the correct word is ED. Most medical institutions consider ER to be an outdated term, since even in small hospitals it's more than a single room. Despite that, ER still seems to be the most common term.

Medical abbreviations are fun!!

I was a new supervisor with an ED/ER and EMT background. I was rounding on the hospital medical units.

Maternity, or L and D (labor and delivery) or MBU (mother baby unit) I picked up their clipboard and saw one of their patients was DOA!! I asked the Charge Nurse to brief me on the deceased patient and so on their unit DOA means a newborn Delivery On Arrival.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska