U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2018, 04:29 PM

12 posts, read 7,958 times

Advertisements

- [ ] Hey everybody. Just needed some outside perspective here. So I have a good job and it pays pretty decent but there isnít much room for growth/advancement. Itís fueling airplanes at the airport. Offers great benefits and 10 hours of overtime a week (five 10s). Iíve talked to some people who have been here 5-10 years and theyíre only making 24 an hour. Which is good donít get me wrong but donít know if itís career worthy (rest of my life worthy). However, I just got a job oppurtunity as an electrical apprentice. Pays about a dollar less but the room for advancement is way better and could be making $39 in four years. I feel like it would be more rewarding and more stimulating than fueling airplanes. And it would be a skill to take home with me and one I could use anywhere. The thing is Iím comfortable here, making friends and connections after being here a year and a half. The insurance is great and they are a great company that takes care of their people. But long term speaking it may not be best. I really donít have a dream career wise but electrical has interested me for about 6 years now. It might light a spark (no pun intended) any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2018, 04:41 PM

17,727 posts, read 3,576,255 times
Would that lead to being an electrician?? That IMO, would be something good to reach for...if you have some interest over the last few years.

Fueling planes might be a good job but seriously, wouldn't you rather learn something new that will contribute to your future?? Sounds like a good opportunity to me...think about 15 yrs from now...

Would you rather still be fueling planes or perhaps, after experience, being your own boss? Doing something to use your brain...or not?

Old 08-20-2018, 06:33 PM

1,941 posts, read 1,691,774 times
That would be an easy choice for me. I would take the apprenticeship.

Old 08-20-2018, 07:51 PM

10,167 posts, read 18,145,570 times
If it’s a union apprenticeship once you get your journeyman’s card you can travel around the country working out of other local’s hiring halls, chasing overtime, and maybe retire early.

Old 08-20-2018, 07:53 PM

9,174 posts, read 16,536,426 times
I'd take the apprenticeship too, assuming it would lead to becoming a licensed journeyman electrician. We often don't think of plumbers and electricians as the creme de la creme, but if you compared their average salaries with those of attorneys, I think you'd find plumbers and electricians in the higher income bracket.

It'll be hard work and (relatively) low income for a few years, until you're licensed. Then you can start making some good money.

Old 08-20-2018, 08:07 PM

1,941 posts, read 1,691,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
...We often don't think of plumbers and electricians as the creme de la creme, but if you compared their average salaries with those of attorneys, ....
The creme de la creme of what?

I'm not really sure what you're trying to say here, but I think a lot more of the electricians and plumbers I know than I do of the lawyers I know.

Old 08-20-2018, 09:05 PM

841 posts, read 611,526 times
The IBEW has a very good retirement program too. Take the apprenticeship program and never look back!

Old 08-20-2018, 09:08 PM

9,174 posts, read 16,536,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riceme View Post
The creme de la creme of what?

I'm not really sure what you're trying to say here, but I think a lot more of the electricians and plumbers I know than I do of the lawyers I know.
Point taken, and I can't disagree. But when we (population as a whole) talk about about successful careers/professions, or even in song, (Mammas, Don't Let Your Babies Grow up to be Cowboys) "make 'em be doctors and lawyers and such...."

Truth be told, when my daughter was still in college, she informed me she'd been dating a law student. I told her that was nice, "just don't expect me to let a lawyer come into MY house." I was kidding, of course, and she knew it, but... a few weeks later she was dating an architectural student who eventually became my SIL.

All I was trying to say was that, while an electrician may not have the prestigious title of doctor or lawyer, they can have a very good and profitable career.

Old 08-20-2018, 09:20 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
20,836 posts, read 37,506,287 times
BTDT (40+ yrs ago)

Take (and endure) the apprenticeship (if you can hack it and will stay in the career (Don't WASTE training that someone else would better utilize))

Apprenticeships are VERY few and far between.

Take as much variety of training and experience as possible to find your best fit.

Consider staying engaged in good paying PT gigs in your free time.

Work ALL the OT available (pay is worth it).

OT and Shift premium allowed me to retire 17 yrs early. AND I still have my skillset learned in Apprenticeship, as well as my professional degrees earned while an apprentice. I used (3) major careers to stay engaged and add variety.

Electrician is one of the less physical demanding of well paying skilled careers, with lots of options to explore other positions (power generation to circuitry, remote job sites (Antarctica) to urban. Ships to Mtns... You can also make good dough on side businesses, as well as building spec homes in your free time.

Apprenticeship will tax your patience and you will feel like quitting / getting a better job... Stick with it, complete it, THEN make your choices.

Old 08-20-2018, 09:22 PM

20,677 posts, read 15,457,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skisnow92 View Post
- [ ] Hey everybody. Just needed some outside perspective here. So I have a good job and it pays pretty decent but there isnít much room for growth/advancement. Itís fueling airplanes at the airport. Offers great benefits and 10 hours of overtime a week (five 10s). Iíve talked to some people who have been here 5-10 years and theyíre only making 24 an hour. Which is good donít get me wrong but donít know if itís career worthy (rest of my life worthy). However, I just got a job oppurtunity as an electrical apprentice. Pays about a dollar less but the room for advancement is way better and could be making $39 in four years. I feel like it would be more rewarding and more stimulating than fueling airplanes. And it would be a skill to take home with me and one I could use anywhere. The thing is Iím comfortable here, making friends and connections after being here a year and a half. The insurance is great and they are a great company that takes care of their people. But long term speaking it may not be best. I really donít have a dream career wise but electrical has interested me for about 6 years now. It might light a spark (no pun intended) any thoughts?
Success doesn't always come from comfortable.

Take a chance. The airport will always be there, this opportunity might not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska