U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2018, 01:18 PM

10 posts, read 12,317 times

Advertisements

Hi Iíve been lurking around here lately and it seems to me most people donít actually like living in Alaska at all. Responses to most questions range (especially the relocation ones) from the outright negative to the ambivalent. I personally am intrigued with Alaska since I started watching the Life Below Zero show a few years ago but I plan to settle in the lower 48 states so Iím asking this out of pure curiosity.

Do you like living year round in Alaska? If you could move, would you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2018, 01:22 PM

20,417 posts, read 26,539,344 times
I have property and business interests in Alaska, but I spend as little time there as possible anymore. Really dislike what it's become and have very little use for it. ETA I could probably live in Ketchikan or Juneau if I had to.

BTW, Alaska isn't much like the reality shows.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 08-24-2018 at 01:31 PM..

Old 08-24-2018, 02:23 PM

1,941 posts, read 1,687,313 times
Yes, I like living here year-round, and I could move if I so chose, yet, here I am.

I think you might be misinterpreting people's responses to relocation questions. I think most of us here just want to temper the wild idealism with a healthy dose of reality; not reality tv, which is not reality.

Old 08-24-2018, 03:17 PM

278 posts, read 120,585 times
I have no interest in moving somewhere else and I'm quite capable of moving if I wanted to. It does seem that a fair number of the posters on here are sour on the state. That is not what I encounter in my day-to-day life however.

I've posted some negative replies but not because I don't like it here but more to dissuade people I think will not do well here. It is different.

Old 08-24-2018, 03:21 PM

2,557 posts, read 3,927,693 times
The winds here in the Valley are a really kick in the crotch in the winter, but the nice days make up for it...

Old 08-24-2018, 04:49 PM

6,904 posts, read 11,690,350 times
I like it year round. Even below zero. Lived in Barrow handled the weather just fine but half of the people in town are drunks. I had enough of that. Even with the rain and clouds I like southeast the best. It's a hard place to live if you have SAD.

Old 08-24-2018, 06:45 PM

187 posts, read 80,941 times
I was military and have lived in many states and several spots overseas. There was something to like about everywhere that I lived. This (Fairbanks, Ft Wainwright) was a good military duty station for me and has been good for employment after as well. A paid move to come up, extra $$ for cost of living and housing and a chance to experience all that Alaska has to offer. I am very fortunate.
I do get a touch of the SAD and have to force myself a bit to get out and stay active sometimes. I'm the one in my family that had to come up here but my wife and daughter are the ones who wanted to stay so that makes a difference. I am going to retire next spring and I think spend another year up here and then head down somewhere warmer and sunnier. I love the desert southwest and am also thinking about the "snowbird" life.

Old 08-24-2018, 10:05 PM

15,596 posts, read 34,548,601 times
I love living here year round and winter is my favorite time of year!

Old 08-25-2018, 12:07 AM

4,104 posts, read 1,535,580 times
Love it year round, though fall and winter are my favorite seasons. Left the south 48 decades ago and have never missed that mess. Yes, I could move south but you couldn't pay me enough to do so.

OP, remember, a tv series about specific lives up here doesn't represent much at all. They are going to present the most dramatic, the extremes because they want to evoke a strong reaction from viewers. The state is a diverse place with diverse people living diverse lives.

Old 08-25-2018, 08:30 AM

2,798 posts, read 1,496,333 times
Been here since '62. I've visited most of the western states and definitely prefer being here for at least 6 months of the year. But then, I like overcast skies and regular precipitation. If I had to choose one state to live in year 'round it'd probably be this one. North coast of Washington state, northern New England and windward Hawaii are about the only other considerations.

Not experiencing the awful car traffic down south and lines of people everywhere you go is worth a great deal to me, as is walking proximity to tall evergreen forests, mountains and ocean.

However, I've never been a real fan of winter. Too dark, cold, snowy/slushy/ icy for me to enjoy being outside working or playing very much. Fortunately I had indoor basketball for bright light, warmth and recreation.

Winters in Bellingham were preferable, and winters in Hawaii are WAY better. Since my 20's I've always got out for a couple weeks during that time and the plan for the future is to be out for a couple months or more-snow bird.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or