Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2018, 02:27 PM

7 posts, read 7,056 times

Advertisements

Some questions for Mat-Su people (and John, I’m sure you’ll chime in)

Does Palmer have a small town neighbors-helping-neighbors feel to it? I assume Wasilla does not.

Are there places you can live where you can snowmachine from your back door? Or at least not trailer too far? Are there many kid-safe groomed trails (ie no risk of avalanche or getting into open water)?

Are there many kid-friendly fishing spots nearby (from shore or boat? Kid friendly meaning you will actually catch a fair amount of fish so kids won’t get bored, and it’s not a dangerous fast moving river.

Where do most people go to hunt moose or caribou? Or sheep?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2018, 06:18 PM

2,025 posts, read 4,172,754 times
Probably won't be able to snowmachine out the back door in Palmer city limits but outside of that most of the valley is close to trails. I used to live by Sears and could get out to the Iditarod trail and the other systems from there as long as there was snow.

Keplar-Bradley lakes areva good spot for kid fishing, the lakes are stocked, access is easy, if you have a canoe Canoe lake is really good.

Sheep are a tough hunt, some are there in the mountains behind Palmer, access is difficult, moose can be found up behind Wasilla at the end of Shrock road and up the trails, Pt Mackenzie, almost anywhere really but take your lawyer with you to stay legal. If you can get a permit Lake Louise for caribou and Gunsight for ptarmigan (ptasty little birds).

Old 09-07-2018, 07:39 PM

I’m told in the fishhook area many people can snowgo from their house? Does that sound right? Thanks for the info and suggestion!

Old 09-07-2018, 11:57 PM

2,795 posts, read 5,612,445 times
People in my neighborhood snow machine directly from their house... I live off of KGB just inside Wasilla city limits. There snowmachines that run up and down KGB all the time.

Old 09-08-2018, 07:20 AM

2,025 posts, read 4,172,754 times
The trail along KGB is the snowmachine autobahn! Seriously, anywhere but Palmer as they banned sleds inside city limits. Palmer is full of rules. Fortunately it's only a few minutes from the mat su valley.

Old 09-08-2018, 01:52 PM

Great, thanks!

Old 09-09-2018, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarainak View Post
I assume Wasilla does not.
Curious... Why would you assume that?

Old 09-09-2018, 05:50 PM

339 posts, read 728,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKStafford View Post
Curious... Why would you assume that?
Just based on the time I've spent in both places. Palmer has the farms, the local businesses, the town center/downtown area, and just seems more laid-back. Wasilla is more sprawling with lots of box stores and strip malls. But pardon my ignorance if I'm missing something. I haven't spent a ton of time in the area, so that's why I'm asking.

Old 09-09-2018, 08:15 PM

1,931 posts, read 2,168,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puff5655 View Post
Just based on the time I've spent in both places. Palmer has the farms, the local businesses, the town center/downtown area, and just seems more laid-back. Wasilla is more sprawling with lots of box stores and strip malls. But pardon my ignorance if I'm missing something. I haven't spent a ton of time in the area, so that's why I'm asking.
We live kind of in the middle and I like to think that the area we settled does have that small town vibe. Palmer seems more like the bush to me, but wasilla isn’t bad.

We opted for that central location too, so we wouldn’t have a long commute to work. After spending 6 years in the bush, I didn’t want a 15 minute commute to work.

This summer was consumed with the move then our vacation. I’m excited about exploring all the valley has to offer next summer. Hopefully I can give you guys the best fishing spots. The fishing won’t compare to your current spot, but I bet it’ll be easier to access hiking and camping spots.

Another factor for us, was the year round opportunities for our kids.

Old 09-09-2018, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by puff5655 View Post
Wasilla is more sprawling with lots of box stores and strip malls.
That's all you might see if you just see Wasilla if you just stay on the Parks Highway... But get out into the neighborhoods and you'll get a whole different feel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
View detailed profiles of: