U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2018, 07:26 AM

9 posts, read 7,100 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the responses thus far—all very helpful. As I said, at this point we are leaning toward Alaska but certainly think that we would be happy in Wyoming too. Can anyone shed light on the possibility of having livestock in Alaska...namely the Soldotna area vs the valley? I grew up on a cattle ranch and would love to have a few head of highland cattle and some chickens mostly for the kids. I’m looking on Zillow at land/property and the prices seem very reasonable. Would one area be better than the other for the things mentioned above? Would love to be able to snowmachine, hunt, fish on our land or at least be very close to those things.

On a separate note, my wife was a teacher but is planning on staying at home after we make the move. We are still trying to decide between homeschooling and private/good public schools. Does one area have a better reputation over the other in terms of education? Would also like to have good access to a nice library and recreation for them. Thanks again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2018, 08:10 AM
Status: "A delicate snowflake with the vote of a wolverine." (set 8 days ago)

13,300 posts, read 7,489,808 times
I've lived in Alaska and explored a lot of Wyoming. It may be irrelevant to you but the cost of living is way lower in Wyoming. It's an important factor to think about considering the rate of reimbursement and red tape with insurance involved in a physician practice. Alaska also has higher gas prices and every online purchase has steep shipping fees. Plus Wyoming is connected to the lower 48 and if you plan on doing a lot of travel, especially driving, it's more convenient. But I think you can't go wrong with either. It's awesome 1 vs. awesome 2.

Old 09-13-2018, 10:02 AM

176 posts, read 93,876 times
"every online purchase has steep shipping fees" I ship items to my daughter from Amazon, Carter's and a few other places that have free shipping and they all ship for free to Alaska. When we were there last month I think gas was 3.29 and it is 2.89 here. When we go to Chicago it is all well over $3:40.

Old 09-13-2018, 11:29 AM

228 posts, read 238,888 times
You might not like what I have to say but.....you are fresh out of residency, a "new" doc. We get plenty of them up here and man, some are not the sharpest "pencils in the box." I'd do Wyoming or even St. Pats in Missoula, MT. for a year or two before coming up this way. Get a bit of experience in a hospital down south. Rural medicine here is different than having everything at your disposal at hospitals down south. Myself and my wife are just RN's and have worked in several locations in the last 25 years--we worked in Alaska, left and did experience building and then came back. I do flight and critical care and my wife has done med-surg and oncology for 25 years. We've seen some really stupid things done by "new" doc's here that have said the same thing you have. Providence in Anchorage is a great hospital and is not "rural." Not at all trying to demean you or your thoughts in where to go. Just my 2 cents. Good luck!

Old 09-13-2018, 01:03 PM

9 posts, read 7,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rntim View Post
You might not like what I have to say but.....you are fresh out of residency, a "new" doc. We get plenty of them up here and man, some are not the sharpest "pencils in the box." I'd do Wyoming or even St. Pats in Missoula, MT. for a year or two before coming up this way. Get a bit of experience in a hospital down south. Rural medicine here is different than having everything at your disposal at hospitals down south. Myself and my wife are just RN's and have worked in several locations in the last 25 years--we worked in Alaska, left and did experience building and then came back. I do flight and critical care and my wife has done med-surg and oncology for 25 years. We've seen some really stupid things done by "new" doc's here that have said the same thing you have. Providence in Anchorage is a great hospital and is not "rural." Not at all trying to demean you or your thoughts in where to go. Just my 2 cents. Good luck!
No offense taken. Im definitely not brand new to the scene. Ive worked as a doc in the Navy and in the African bush doing mission workI think Im ready for the task at hand. 😁 Resources at the two hospitals Im considering are leaps and bounds ahead of those in Africa. I do get what youre saying and appreciate the insight. Weve thought long and hard on where we want/need to be! Thanks again!

Old 09-13-2018, 02:09 PM

206 posts, read 46,603 times
I think medicine in Alaska is truly unique and an experience that’s not at all easy to replicate.

Old 09-13-2018, 02:16 PM

20,486 posts, read 26,632,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EllieKay56 View Post
"every online purchase has steep shipping fees" I ship items to my daughter from Amazon, Carter's and a few other places that have free shipping and they all ship for free to Alaska. When we were there last month I think gas was 3.29 and it is 2.89 here. When we go to Chicago it is all well over $3:40.
It depends on where you live. I can get very little at my place in SE for any price, and free shipping doesn't happen.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 09-13-2018 at 02:42 PM..

Old 09-13-2018, 02:33 PM

228 posts, read 238,888 times
Practicing medicine is unique here! CGpilot, I see you are in Tenn. I worked at Pitt, Chapel Hill and Duke over there in N.C. My neighbor (one of them) is a CRNA out of the Navy. He does a 5 week rotation here and a 5 week rotation in Bethel, AK. His girlfriend is an OR nurse and does the same. Its quite a gig! My other neighbor is a E.R. nurse from Tenn. and has been here 2 years--took her a bit to adjust after 20 yrs working between Tenn. and Texas. Their main difficulty is the "isolation." Sitka is on an island and well, they get a bit stir crazy and head down to Seattle quite often for r and r. I don't get it but whatever floats your boat, so to speak. We love it--can't stand Seattle personally. Anchorage has turned into a knife and gun club--nothing like what it was 15 years ago. Providence is an awesome hospital, there is also a good sized IHS hospital, both in Anchorage. I knew a nurse that worked in Soldotna and she liked working there a lot. I also know a doc here that did her residency in Coos Bay, Oregon then came directly here--she is awful. We personally keep our Airlift Northwest insurance current because I wouldn't let a doc touch me or my wife here for any kind of critical illness or injury. I know its not a kind thing to say but, its the truth.

Old 09-13-2018, 02:44 PM

20,486 posts, read 26,632,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rntim View Post
We personally keep our Airlift Northwest insurance current because I wouldn't let a doc touch me or my wife here for any kind of critical illness or injury. I know its not a kind thing to say but, its the truth.
Me neither.

Old 09-13-2018, 07:13 PM

9,189 posts, read 16,593,743 times
My Alaska residency is ancient, but I am one of those who moved from Alaska to Wyoming. We (ex-wife and I) loved Alaska, both had good jobs and were very happy with life, except for two things. Anchorage, where we lived, was getting too big for us (75K when we left in '70 but growing too fast), and it was a long, long trip for relatives to visit from the lower 48 or for us to visit them. After our first child was born, we wanted to be closer to family.

We had friends who moved up the valley and down to Alyeska, but that only got them away from the crowds for evenings. There simply aren't enough roads going out of Anchorage to handle the traffic. Basically, a highway goes through town, comes in from the north and goes out to the south. Draw a 50-mile radius around Anchorage and it starts becoming evident. Now trim that circle off where it's mostly uninhabitable -- mountains, Cook Inlet and the area across it, and Turnagain Arm. Being a pilot helps you escape (I'm one too), but most people are stuck using that one highway to leave town and get back. It's been a problem for more than 50 years, but it's getting worse and will continue to become more and more crowded. My last trip up there was nearly 20 years ago. It was still beautiful, still the most beautiful place I've ever seen in the world, but it was more crowded than ever before. That's just the normal metamorphosis of the area. Humans have moved in and taken over what was an untamed wilderness when I was born. It happens everywhere, but the Anchorage area can't spread out like most areas. To make matters worse, it has a high percentage of residents who want to get out of town and spill into the remaining "wilderness" every weekend, especially all summer long.

Anyway, that's part of the reason I moved to Wyoming. It was a move from the 2nd least populated state to the least populated. Both are great. I think if you like one you'll like the other too, so you probably have it narrowed down to the two best, imho.

I considered moving back to Alaska a couple times, because God knows I love it, but I've stayed in Wyoming now since '71 and hope I'm still here when I die.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or