U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2018, 05:18 PM

13 posts, read 10,810 times

Advertisements

The wind was blowing in Palmer, but looking at the wind density charts it looks like south-central WY gets more robust winds. I think we will be very happy either way...was just hoping the choice would be easier
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2018, 05:28 PM

7,135 posts, read 11,904,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulsker 1856 View Post
Casper is less than 100 miles from the Wind River Range, the Bighorn Mountains, and the Black Hills.

Anyone who doesn't consider all of those the very definition of beautiful has no clue whatsoever.

100 miles away is not like having them in your backyard. i didn't find anything overly appealing about the Casper area.

Old 11-01-2018, 04:15 AM

6,353 posts, read 2,707,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
100 miles away is not like having them in your backyard. i didn't find anything overly appealing about the Casper area.
Opportunity, low crime, seemed to be much less dickish people there. Alaska is full of a lot of end of the roaders who are mal adjusted and anti social. Anchorage is starting to get horrid for crime and the lay offs are still on going.

Old 11-04-2018, 09:55 AM

3,021 posts, read 1,639,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgpilot12 View Post

Wyoming is also still high on our list! The hospital is considered to be the best in the state, flying to see family in TN and TX would be easier. My wife's best friend lives about 4 hrs away in Denver, and there's plenty of things to do outdoors for us! The biggest downside to me is the wind/winters and the lack of "nice" houses. If we land in WY, I'm hoping to buy 50+ acres and would like to have some horses, cattle, and chickens for us to enjoy (i grew up on a farm).

Any and all advice/help is GREATLY appreciated!
It sounds like Wyoming might have enough advantages for you to tip the scale in its favor. For me, the elevation of Casper and dry, windy climate would be undesirable.

How about a hospital in Montana?

Old 11-04-2018, 10:10 AM

400 posts, read 191,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulsker 1856 View Post
Casper is less than 100 miles from the Wind River Range, the Bighorn Mountains, and the Black Hills.

Anyone who doesn't consider all of those the very definition of beautiful has no clue whatsoever.
You don't know anything about Wyoming. I lived there for 25 yrs and my great-great aunt homesteaded there before it was a state.
The bulk of the state is not the beautiful mountains. Its butt ugly landscape with beer can grass and too much government. When oil and coal prices crash again the economy crashes also. Watched it happen several times before. Tea Pot Dome and the bulk of yellowcake mines.are there.

The old statement of go west young man still holds true. Go to Alaska! I wished I had stayed instead of going back to Wyoming.

Old 11-04-2018, 12:35 PM

225 posts, read 151,840 times
Go with your where your heart tells you to go. From your post I hear 'we love Alaska' and 'we like Wyoming and it would be easier for xyz'. Just my opinion. If you move to Alaska and it doesn't work out you can always move again. If you go to Wyoming you might always wonder if Alaska would've been better.

ETA - I'd take Palmer over Anchorage as that is by far a better fit for your family unless you are in a mind to commute to Anchorage, which I would not recommend. We live in Eagle River and drive in to Anchorage and it's fine but I wouldn't go out any further. Both of our jobs allow us to work from home and my job includes a lot of travel so it's less of a thing for us. I wouldn't want to do that commute daily from the valley. Before we moved up I had a four hour daily commute (2 hrs each way) and swore I'd never do that again. We chose this place due to what we were looking for in a house. We had a priority list and we weren't finding it in Anchorage. Anchorage it was either find a beautiful home without needing remodeling on a crappy lot with no view or find an amazing view with a home that needed a lot of work. We found an amazing house with unbelievable views that did not need any remodeling, and with all the features we were looking for, so we accepted the commute.

That said, now that winter is setting in and it's darker and with snow there have been more traffic issues. We lived in Anchorage last year and still ran into a lot of traffic though. We were on the Southside and it'd take sometimes up to 30 mins to get to work. Now, if the traffic has backed up on the Glenn it's like 40 mins. If something major happens it'll be longer but that's life. We just leave really early when we feel there is a risk of a delay. My husband can leave earlier in the day to avoid the night rush. I stay late as my job entails a lot of hours so I miss it on that side also. TLDR - that commute is legend for being bad and it is.

Last edited by kodiakbearcountry; 11-04-2018 at 12:47 PM..

Old 11-04-2018, 02:50 PM

945 posts, read 506,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Cleric View Post
How about a hospital in Montana?
The man is a doctor and I'm sure he's not interested in paying an additional 6% of his income in taxes to government every single year.

Both WY and AK are 0% income tax states. Good for them.

Old 11-04-2018, 05:10 PM

3,102 posts, read 1,552,751 times
Lived in N. Carolina and thought it was beautiful. But hiking off trail is generally out of the question. Its a jungle full of ticks and chiggers when off trail.

Wide open spaces are more useful, in many ways, than beautiful thick green vegetation. Amazing opportunities for bush flying in Alaska. Wyoming has a lot of great things but is famous for its winds. I will never forget rolling a 747 simulator when hit with 60 mph cross winds. Spectacular.

Old 11-04-2018, 05:53 PM

3,021 posts, read 1,639,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InchingWest View Post
The man is a doctor and I'm sure he's not interested in paying an additional 6% of his income in taxes to government every single year.

Both WY and AK are 0% income tax states. Good for them.

Well then, you didn't read his first post, which indicated an interest in Montana. Regarding no state income tax in Alaska, bad for us as we now have fiscal problems.

Old 11-05-2018, 04:50 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
21,317 posts, read 38,319,422 times
Young and adventurous or empty nesters (After the kids depart)? I would choose AK, but it is HARDER (expensive and time consuming) to connect with friends / family down south.

With Family... just pay the price to commute to grandparents and friends (often).

I did Casper daily on a trucking route (and lived in SO WY and NO CO). Casper is on my 'not-so- favored' WY list. I will guess your wife will spend a lot of time meeting her Denver friend in Laramie or Ft Collins. Or together buy / rent a cabin in Snowy Range, (where 50 acres MIGHT support a couple cows, but not horses (Hungry). Having livestock in Casper will force you to buy a LOT of hay!

You won't be gardening much in WY. Save that hobby (frustration) for when you move to income tax free WA or AK.

or... consider the FEW better places in WY for living / growing / having livestock. Start with Powell (or Torrington).

Choose the job / practice with the best EXIT strategy! (Both locations will be tough places to sell high end homes)

BTW: my dad commuted (6 hrs) for his WY business. Was only home on weekends (sometimes)+/-
Many in AK and WY are in this spot... Home seldom, working a lot. Oil and Gas friends in each (+ TX and ND) are home for a week every 6 (sometimes). been doing it for 30 yrs +/-

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 11-05-2018 at 05:16 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or