U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2018, 02:35 PM

21,010 posts, read 27,051,038 times

Advertisements

We spent a summer in Wyoming when I was very small and my father was doing some sort of grad. school thing. I don't remember anything except getting nosebleeds because of the elevation and a bear coming right up to our car when we visited Yellowstone.

Anyway, the OP will likely have a good life in either place -- I just hope he comes back and lets us know which one he chose. Most never bother.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 11-10-2018 at 03:05 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2018, 03:51 PM

400 posts, read 191,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
Montana is much colder than Southcentral Alaska in the winter. Same with ND and MN.
No it isn't. Coldest winter we had was 1997 = -11F Same year in Wyoming - 25F

Old 11-10-2018, 07:11 PM

9,291 posts, read 16,849,139 times
Kalispell and other cities/towns in that area get a lot of warm air from the Pacific that helps keep the really cold weather at bay. I've never lived in Montana, but I've owned businesses there and done a lot of fishing in the summer and skiing in the winter. Parts are warmer, parts are colder, just like Alaska and Wyoming -- although Wyoming doesn't have much winter warmth, because there aren't any really low elevation areas in it. Unlike most areas of the country, many of our major rivers run north, into Montana -- Wind/Bighorn, Powder, Yellowstone.

Old 11-10-2018, 09:32 PM

303 posts, read 139,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
Kalispell and other cities/towns in that area get a lot of warm air from the Pacific that helps keep the really cold weather at bay. I've never lived in Montana, but I've owned businesses there and done a lot of fishing in the summer and skiing in the winter. Parts are warmer, parts are colder, just like Alaska and Wyoming -- although Wyoming doesn't have much winter warmth, because there aren't any really low elevation areas in it. Unlike most areas of the country, many of our major rivers run north, into Montana -- Wind/Bighorn, Powder, Yellowstone.

That's funny because around Fairbanks, the higher spots are warmer.

Old 11-12-2018, 09:33 PM

9,291 posts, read 16,849,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northrick View Post
That's funny because around Fairbanks, the higher spots are warmer.
That would be an inversion. It happens sometimes, most often in mountain valleys, etc., but I think it can happen in most places. The standard temperature lapse rate is 3.5F/2.0C degrees per thousand feet.

Old 01-13-2019, 04:49 PM

2 posts, read 255 times
I’m a doc up here. Moved up after training for similar reasons as you listed. We love Alaska but it turned out not to be a favorable place with my specialty-despite living in Anchorage. We are heading back to the lower 48 after about 18mos.

What sort of medicine do you practice? Depending on what you do, you may or may not be severely limited by location. Anything of complexity is treated in Anchorage. Mat-Su is a nice hospital but they lack several major service lines. There is no significant subspecialty care on the Kenai (Homer/Soldotna).

You can certainly have a great life and thriving practice but be careful and do your research before making the move.

Old 01-15-2019, 10:17 AM

910 posts, read 317,443 times
He is apparently moving to Waco TX now...with not even a goodbye!

Old 01-18-2019, 07:30 PM

2 posts, read 199 times
In Alaska the main cost is the grocery store food if you buy it. If you live more off of the land like you're planning to, its not that expensive. Special clothing and extra precautions like educating the kids about weather and watching the weather every day if not twice in the winter (kids and adults easily accidentally freeze outside sometimes). Other things like fuel and your (mint always) car and utilities can be more expensive. Wood and pellet stoves are cheaper and some towns have gas lines so that your utilities aren't ridiculous (you would think all Alaska would have gas lines but sparce population and large tracts of land and low temperatures have prevented it) I think also some cities just enjoy massive electric bills for some reason! ANyway I think Juneau and sitka are nicer areas for someone really looking to be in the wild, there are lots of maritime vessels, fishing and hunting and fhe people-actual fishers and hunters and possibly a few homesteaders. The other cities in Alaska are more like your average US city, with more prostitution and drugs than you'd expect due to a female shortage, bordem and who knows why really. There is a yuppie farm community situation that's blooming in the mat-su I heard but you know how gentrification can get sometimes. Being a pilot would be fun in AK, im a torchured genius nature girl looking to go back and not get run off by my evil fan club so I'm in a similar position. The nice thing about the little islands is they are very very low in crime and problems which have been growing rapidly in anchorage (right by mat-su) and other areas in the last few years....

I remember that show with the pilots at the little airport and I think that's probably what sitka and some of these other little gems might be like. A real town where everyone knows the doctor and is down to earth but with some very educated people added to the mix I think it would be great! Nice to meet you. As the earth warms Alaska will be amazing but....some work might need done to keep it that way. A crime wave moved in around 13 and is getting worse in the 2 major towns and even a little in the country-sides up north, but not as much the islands and coasts. SALT water!

Old Today, 07:11 PM

2 posts, read 255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PamelaIamela View Post
He is apparently moving to Waco TX now...with not even a goodbye!
Nope, that's not me

Old Today, 07:25 PM

21,010 posts, read 27,051,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akmd View Post
Nope, that's not me
It wasn't about you. It was about the OP, and the poster is right. The OP seems to be concentrating his search elsewhere now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or