U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2018, 05:05 PM

278 posts, read 120,883 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulsker 1856 View Post
That was in 2010. You act like it's her only primary. It's not.

In 2004, she won the Senate primary with 58% of the vote in a field of four. In 2016, she won the Senate primary with 72% of the vote in another field of four.

That's true. It's just that by her second primary she was a well established republican incumbent. And those seem to rarely get voted out of office.

Of course, what you really mean is that she's not a slavish party apparatchik who can be relied upon to always jump when the leadership snaps its fingers.
That would be her colleague Ohio Dan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2018, 06:29 PM

3,980 posts, read 2,966,341 times
She would have been a perfectly mainstream Republican a decade ago.

Old 09-19-2018, 07:43 PM

16,174 posts, read 27,443,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
She's not amazing, but the alternatives lately have been incompetents or whackos. I feel like she can be trusted to do just about nothing, which is what I mostly want in a politician these days anyway.
But how do you know that she wasn't a loony when her father handled her the crown?

See...the thing is that we tend to assume that the person is a whacko just because somebody or the news media implies that he or she is a whacko. But in reality the only way to anybody to know if the politician is a whacko or not is long after they have served. All the stuff talked about before the election is just dirty politics.

Last edited by RayinAK; 09-19-2018 at 07:54 PM..

Old 09-19-2018, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulsker 1856 View Post
That was in 2010. You act like it's her only primary. It's not.

In 2004, she won the Senate primary with 58% of the vote in a field of four. In 2016, she won the Senate primary with 72% of the vote in another field of four.

The idea that Murkowski is a Democrat is ... well, delusional.

First, every time the Senate is organized, she votes for the Republican candidate for Majority Leader. That is the single most influential vote any Senator ever casts, as it determines the agenda of the Senate for the next two years. Second, she votes with the Republicans most of the time and against the Democrats most of the time - anyone who think that a Democrat votes that way is... well, having delusions.

Of course, what you really mean is that she's not a slavish party apparatchik who can be relied upon to always jump when the leadership snaps its fingers. That much is true.
She will continue wining as long as there isn't a better candidate. It's a simple as that. When Joe Miller lost to her, he had the entire Republican machine backing her up. There is no way that Miller could have won against the establishment Republicans.

Again, the whole ball of dirty wax began when her father crowned her. It's a similar situation with Don Young, as he will continue holding on to power unless a better candidate comes along and has the backing of the Republican machine. Lisa and the rest are just swamp dwellers who change stripes depending on which direction the wind blows.

Last edited by RayinAK; 09-19-2018 at 08:03 PM..

Old 09-19-2018, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
But in reality the only way to anybody to know if the politician is a whacko or not is long after they have served. All the stuff talked about before the election is just dirty politics.
Alaska is a small state, population-wise. It's pretty common to actually know the political candidates, or to know people who do, particularly if you're in certain fields. In the case of one of these guys I'm talking from direct personal experience when I use terms like "whackadoo of monumental proportions," lol. It's not like national politics where all you have to go on is the media.

Old 09-19-2018, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Alaska is a small state, population-wise. It's pretty common to actually know the political candidates, or to know people who do, particularly if you're in certain fields. In the case of one of these guys I'm talking from direct personal experience when I use terms like "whackadoo of monumental proportions," lol. It's not like national politics where all you have to go on is the media.
Perhaps that is true. But let me ask you a question: did we know about some of the ethical-related stuff Lisa got involved with in the past?

Nowadays all you have to do is to post anything against a politician or anybody running for office, and you can destroy his or her chance to win an election. It does not matter if the comment is true or not. But in the case of Lisa and land deals, that truth made the national news. Perhaps Miller is a whacko, but more than likely that's what those who opposed him wanted voters to believe. Would have Miller done a good job or a bad one in Congress? Nobody knows, because he never served in Congress. It means that all we do is to base our opinions on assumptions.

Old 09-19-2018, 08:12 PM

8,615 posts, read 8,618,355 times
Her support for abortion turns me off.

Old 09-19-2018, 08:15 PM

20,426 posts, read 26,555,365 times
Quote:
But how do you know that she wasn't a loony when her father handled her the crown?
I'm not in the least bit interested in this conversation, but she was an older classmate of one of my siblings and the student of a family friend at Willamette Law School. Small school, small neighborhood, small town; pretty sure if she'd been what you call a "whacko," we would have noticed. Of course, your definition of "whacko" is probably different than ours since you count those such as Michael Savage and Alex Jones as your heroes.

Old 09-19-2018, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Perhaps that is true. But let me ask you a question: did we know about some of the ethical-related stuff Lisa got involved with in the past?

Nowadays all you have to do is to post anything against a politician or anybody running for office, and you can destroy his or her chance to win an election. It does not matter if the comment is true or not. But in the case of Lisa and land deals, that truth made the national news.

Perhaps Miller is a whacko, but more than likely that's what those who opposed him wanted.
Are you taking about that sketchy thing like fifteen years ago where some big donor sold her some land for under market value? I guess compared to the rest of the stuff politicians get up to it didn't really stick, especially since I don't recall anyone ever being able to establish a quid pro quo exchange.

Have you noticed that you call her "Lisa" while you refer to others by their surnames or full names?

Old 09-19-2018, 08:23 PM

20,426 posts, read 26,555,365 times
Quote:

Have you noticed that you call her "Lisa" while you refer to others by their surnames or full names?
Edited because Ray got offended.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 09-19-2018 at 09:48 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska