U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2018, 08:26 AM

8,609 posts, read 8,611,763 times

Advertisements

How is Senator Lisa Murkowski regarded in Alaska? Does she get some votes from Democrats?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2018, 08:35 AM

2,666 posts, read 2,734,559 times
She IS a democrat, how the hell she ever got elected as a Republican is one of life's great mysteries. Same with Collins from Maine.

Old 09-19-2018, 08:44 AM

8,609 posts, read 8,611,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodpete View Post
She IS a democrat, how the hell she ever got elected as a Republican is one of life's great mysteries. Same with Collins from Maine.
Remember that Maine is a New England state, and most Republicans there have never been what we now call conservative.

Old 09-19-2018, 09:42 AM

278 posts, read 120,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodpete View Post
If you remember, she lost the republican primary to Joe Miller and then ran as a write-in candidate in the general election and won.

As far as this Alaskan goes, no I'm not cool with Murkowski (and not because she's not conservative enough). The way she initially got into office still rubs me the wrong way.

Old 09-19-2018, 10:15 AM

2,803 posts, read 1,496,333 times
She doesn't have a good approval rating in the state, probably because everyone can find something to complain about with her, whether they lean Democrat or Republican.

Murkowski is the only Republican I've voted for besides Jay Hammond and our current governor Walker, and I'm quite thankful she defeated Joe Miller with her write in campaign.

Old 09-19-2018, 10:44 AM

2,557 posts, read 3,927,693 times
The liberals don't like that she's a Republican, the Republicans don't like her 'cause she's too liberal. I read once that if both sides don't like you then maybe you are doing something right?

I still think it was a little slimy how she got into office...
I voted for her last time 'cause I think Joe Miller is a bit too nutso... But I would happily pick a solid conservative candidate over her if one ever ran against her.
Just my opinions... and it's worth exactly what you paid for it.

Old 09-19-2018, 10:57 AM

2,594 posts, read 2,283,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
How is Senator Lisa Murkowski regarded in Alaska? Does she get some votes from Democrats?
I would prefer a progressive Democrat but she's better than the average conservative Republican only because she will occasionally vote for the right thing, like the ACA.

Hopefully, she will vote against the Kavanaugh nomination.

I have to agree with Blind Cleric, thank God she defeated Joe Miller in 2010.

Old 09-19-2018, 01:06 PM

16,166 posts, read 27,421,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
Princess Lisa is just a Democrat under a Republican skin. Other than Susan Collins, the Princess is the most liberal Republican.

Sometime ago I saw her name on an Internet list of crooked politicians, but I have no idea if the claims were true. Before Joe Miller ran against her, some Kenai River area land deal she got involved with was dropped (by her) like a hot potato when the news reported it.

https://www.adn.com/politics/article...al/2010/10/13/

That said, just like in other places around the US, politicians from both sides are crooked and only look for deals to lineup their pockets. Everything one can think about, even Kavanaugh's nomination, has been politicized, and this is a detriment to the future of our nation.

I am not a Republican, nor a Democrat.

Last edited by RayinAK; 09-19-2018 at 01:22 PM..

Old 09-19-2018, 03:33 PM

3,975 posts, read 2,963,042 times
She's not amazing, but the alternatives lately have been incompetents or whackos. I feel like she can be trusted to do just about nothing, which is what I mostly want in a politician these days anyway.

Old 09-19-2018, 04:46 PM

1,572 posts, read 557,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northrick View Post
If you remember, she lost the republican primary to Joe Miller and then ran as a write-in candidate in the general election and won.
That was in 2010. You act like it's her only primary. It's not.

In 2004, she won the Senate primary with 58% of the vote in a field of four. In 2016, she won the Senate primary with 72% of the vote in another field of four.

The idea that Murkowski is a Democrat is ... well, delusional.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
Princess Lisa is just a Democrat under a Republican skin. Other than Susan Collins, the Princess is the most liberal Republican.
First, every time the Senate is organized, she votes for the Republican candidate for Majority Leader. That is the single most influential vote any Senator ever casts, as it determines the agenda of the Senate for the next two years. Second, she votes with the Republicans most of the time and against the Democrats most of the time - anyone who think that a Democrat votes that way is... well, having delusions.

Of course, what you really mean is that she's not a slavish party apparatchik who can be relied upon to always jump when the leadership snaps its fingers. That much is true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska