Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2008, 03:03 PM

575 posts, read 1,198,084 times

Advertisements

I drove it in five days from Georgia. Wouldn't think of any other way to get there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2010, 02:01 PM

3 posts, read 3,960 times
Default Nice home for sale midtown Soldotna...pet friendly

We just put our home on the market, check us out at :

www.10realty.com/detail.asp?id=8156o (broken link)

Quote:
Originally Posted by desflurane View Post
This is such a helpful forum...Might as well ask, I am looking for a 2-3 bedroom home to rent with a yard for my dog in the Soldotna area. I have been to craig's list, am talking with realtors, and figured it can't hurt to ask. Maybe somebody will know somebody..etc. I mean Jenna dang near got hooked up with a job!

Last edited by Rance; 07-08-2010 at 09:31 PM..

Old 07-08-2010, 08:22 PM

6,994 posts, read 12,728,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karrinlee View Post
We just put our home on the market, check us out at :

http://www.10realty.com/detail.asp?id=8156o (broken link)
your linky is not working!

Old 07-08-2010, 11:38 PM

1,272 posts, read 2,371,732 times
Hiya Blue!
Try the link with only the main portion, www.10realty.com
Then goto Alaska which only has 3 FSBO listed. I'm assuming Karrinlee is
the Soldotna one.

Old 07-09-2010, 08:59 PM

6,994 posts, read 12,728,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseykat View Post
Hiya Blue!
Try the link with only the main portion, www.10realty.com
Then goto Alaska which only has 3 FSBO listed. I'm assuming Karrinlee is
the Soldotna one.
thanks Jerseykat!!

Old 07-09-2010, 10:46 PM

31 posts, read 55,718 times
I think this is relevant for this thread... does anyone know of any extended stays in Kenai or Soldotna? Trying to make a 1-month visit happen in a few weeks, and want a place to call base camp while I explore and look for jobs.

Heck, even a campground w/ nice showers that I could car camp? A non-leased apartment type thing?

Old 08-19-2010, 09:44 PM

14 posts, read 22,516 times
HI Desflurane and JD Girl:

I started this, but it went into cyberspace, so am starting over:

I have 5 acres on the Kenai and am moving up there permanently the end of SEPT (I am retiring from the military military. I also have several years in Civilian Law enforcement and Medical (I am in the medical Command, but also am a multi-functional Logistician)

It is going to take you more than 4 days to drive it from the East coast, if you are driving all alone, I don't care who you are.. Once you get into Canada you can drive the ALCAN or take the Cassier up. Both are beautiful drives and being this is the end of tourist season, you may want to stick to the ALCAN for open Gas Stations, Places to eat, etc. The roads are Good. They work on them every summer. Yes, once you have driven it, you will have bragging rights, no matter how fast or slow you go. It is beautiful this time of the year, and more animals are moving down to lower levels, so you have the chance of seeing more Caribu, Bear, Dahl Sheep, etc. I drove it in SEPT 2003.

Shipping stuff: You can do container shipping, as many of the big shipping companies ship to AK, all year round. BUT, doing that, and if they only go to Anchorage, then you have to arrange to have it offloaded there and shipped to the Kenai. U-Hual is the only one of the three major self-move companies that operates on the Kenai. Penske does not operate in AK at all.

I am driving up from Central CA to Bellingham, WA. I, my brother in law, my car and a 26 ft U-hual will then board the AMHS Ferry to Whittier. We are getting off in Whittier, because I know the Kenai quite well, and he has driven plenty of big trucks in his time. I warned him, and any one who has not drivern through the Coopers Landing area that it is very windy and has a 30 MPH speed limit for several miles.

A friend who manages a Container shipping business suggested another option: You may want to buy a 20 or 40 FT Container (Connex, Mil-VAN, etc), load it up, ship it to where you are going to live (or put it in storage for a month until you find a place), unload it, and then sell it if you do not want to keep it. You will probably get more for it in AK than you paid in the lower 48. A friend saw some on Craigs list not too long ago. I do not know what they are going for.

I contacted Linden Freight in Soldotna when I was up in April, but that would be a door to door shipping business. Another one to call or google is ABF Relocation. Matsons Shipping is another on. ABF also does container shipping, where they have 14 or 20 ft containers, you fill them up, they will move them up there and store them until you are ready for them. It costs a couple hundred dollard for storage a month.

Looking for a house or apartment? Try Craigs list, Peninsula Clarion Newspaper, Five Star Realty, Choice Realty, etc. Be careful not to get into a seasonal lease, or you will be looking for a new home next spring. There are plenty available now, but come spring there won't be and the cost will go way up. If this was secure, I would give you my personal e-mail, but I do not want to put i out there for everyone else. There are to many weirdos out there.

Yes it is cold in the winter, can get down to -10, -20 degrees, depending on where you are at. Summer, I have been there in both JULY and AUG with the high 60s, but not many days like that tis year. They just had 39 days straight of rain acording ot my builder. My partner compains of it all the
time.

If you do drive it, make sure your car is serviced before you leave. Plan on getting studded snow tires come 1 OCT. Don't wait until the last minute.

Later and Have a good trip, as I plan to!

Donna

Old 08-19-2010, 09:47 PM

14 posts, read 22,516 times
KUBILL:

Try Aspen Hotel or Aspen Extended stay(There is one of each). Also there is a Best Western. Google Hotels, in Soldotna or Kenai. You will get better rates now that the tourists are leaving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska