Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 04:52 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,605,548 times

Advertisements

A buddy sent me these yesterday. Seems the poor guy was tall enough but not quite fat enough to interest the bear in a tasty meal. Any one up for playing tag???

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2008, 05:23 PM

3,539 posts, read 7,606,119 times
I'm not sure who's dumber, they guy pictured, or the guy taking the pictures. Anyone silly enough to play tag with a bear probably deserves what would have happened if he had so much as stumbled. But what kind of person would take pictures instead of doing something to distract that bear?

Polar bears are not cute cuddly teddy bears, they eat people.

Old 04-03-2008, 05:42 PM

1,570 posts, read 2,057,813 times
this is funny because you could see that the guy was scared yet the camara man kept taking pictures. The camara man is the type that would still be taking pictures even if the person was being mauled.

Old 04-03-2008, 06:03 PM

Floyd, I don't know what to tell you. I've seen some dumb stuff but nothing like that. My question was the same. Why didn't the guy taking the pictures do something??

Old 04-03-2008, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
Floyd, I don't know what to tell you. I've seen some dumb stuff but nothing like that. My question was the same. Why didn't the guy taking the pictures do something??
Reminds me of a conversation I had with the guys at the Cape Lizburne Long Range Radar site (out near Point Hope, north of Kotzebue and southwest of Barrow) a few years ago. They were telling me about some visitor that got off the plane and wandered off across the airstrip. When someone noticed where he was they ran over and grabbed him, brought back and began to give him a lecture on polar bear safety. The guy interrupted and said something to the effect of, "There wouldn't be a bear that close..." and turned to point to where he had been. He stopped, because there was a polar bear standing right where he had been.

Old 04-04-2008, 02:15 AM

15,603 posts, read 39,657,700 times
Those pictures would have been priceless had he been mauled! The camera man should have tripped or otherwise distracted that guy!

Old 04-04-2008, 02:47 AM

1,677 posts, read 6,420,090 times
Hell of a time to lock your truck doors!

Old 04-04-2008, 04:15 AM

1,121 posts, read 4,470,636 times
Default slower than seals, not as tasty

Some people like to think of bears as just like big furry dogs, but the reality is that as far as the bears are concerned, humans are just another prey animal.

Slower than seals, not as tasty

Old 04-04-2008, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcticthaw View Post
Hell of a time to lock your truck doors!
That's something I don't understand about the pictures.

Nobody locks truck doors in Kaktovik (or here in Barrow, even parked in the AC store parking lot)!

There are two vehicles there, and I just can't believe that both of them have doors the doors locked. So I have to think that, at least initially, that guy made a decision to play tag with the bear rather than get into a truck to get away from it.

I'll bet by the first once around a truck, without enough time to stop and open a door, he regretted that idea... especially if he could hear that camera clicking away and the photographer laughing.

Old 04-04-2008, 01:26 PM

I don't know where the idea came up that the doors were locked. That was always a pain for us in Barrow when I worked at the police department. Someone would call in and say there vehicle had been stolen. Doors unlocked, keys in the ignition. We would track down the vehicle usually with someone driving. Report back to the victim who would then say it was okay cause the driver was their cousin, best friend, distant relative or neighbor. They just wanted us to tell who ever was driving it to put gas in it before brining the vehicle back. It was a never ending circle...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska