U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2018, 09:15 PM

1 posts, read 587 times

Advertisements

I have read that the winters in Alaska have 19 hours of dark. I will use dates for example. So does it lets say October 1st there is 19 hours of dark every day until lets say June 1st? Or October 1st 12 hours of dark. The next day has 13 hours of dark next day 14 hours and so on. Then it tapers down getting closer to spring. So there is really only 19 hours of dark for 1 month?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2018, 09:39 PM

360 posts, read 377,335 times
Right now I would say I have 13 hours of darkness. I am about halfway between Anch, and Fairbanks. Lose 4-5 minutes a day until mid December when we have the 19 hours of dark. Then we start gaining again until mid March where it is 12 hours of light and 12 hours of dark. Continue to gain light until the first of June then we have 5 weeks of 24 hours of light.

Old 10-21-2018, 12:25 AM

5,771 posts, read 2,239,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig G. View Post
I have read that the winters in Alaska have 19 hours of dark. I will use dates for example. So does it lets say October 1st there is 19 hours of dark every day until lets say June 1st? Or October 1st 12 hours of dark. The next day has 13 hours of dark next day 14 hours and so on. Then it tapers down getting closer to spring. So there is really only 19 hours of dark for 1 month?
It's not that absolute. Alaska is a big diverse state covering a lot of latitude. What holds true for Barrow doesn't hold true for Ketchikan. The amount of daylight isn't static over the winter either, any more than it is in Seattle or NY. Just as in points south, there's a gradual decrease in daylight during the fall, the shortest days tend to happen after Thanksgiving. By Christmas the day length starts increasing again. By June the days are quite long again. You can easily look up the average day lengths by month for various locations....it's not a mystery.

For example:

https://www.timeanddate.com/sun/usa/fairbanks

And another:

https://www.timeanddate.com/sun/usa/juneau

Old 10-21-2018, 08:48 AM

3,155 posts, read 1,705,651 times
Quote:
I have read that the winters in Alaska have 19 hours of dark..
The extreme north has 24 hours of dark! As others have said, it depends on latitude, and the loss of light is more gradual than you've speculated. The farther north, the more dramatic the daylight loss, or gain, is from day to day.

I would say that for the band of populated latitude running from Juneau to Anchorage, it seems like about 18 hours of dark is more like it.

Old 10-21-2018, 08:59 AM

4,587 posts, read 1,781,181 times
Quote:
Where in Alaska? Above the Arctic Circle, on December 21st, it's dark 24 hours a day. Then the sun starts to rise for a few minutes each day and increases until June 21st when it's light 24 hours a day.

Old 10-21-2018, 07:12 PM

9,317 posts, read 16,986,736 times
The "light" during Dec-Jan isn't very bright, either, as the Sun just pops up a little on the southern horizon and then dips back down. It never gets up high enough to do any warming.

Old 10-22-2018, 12:18 AM

2,590 posts, read 4,062,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
The "light" during Dec-Jan isn't very bright, either, as the Sun just pops up a little on the southern horizon and then dips back down. It never gets up high enough to do any warming.
And if it's cloudy you aren't even really sure if the sun comes up at all....
Of course it's awesome in the summer when it sits just below the horizon from 11pm to 3pm and it's still light enough to be doing stuff outside.

Old 10-22-2018, 09:43 AM

3,155 posts, read 1,705,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKStafford View Post
And if it's cloudy you aren't even really sure if the sun comes up at all....
Of course it's awesome in the summer when it sits just below the horizon from 11pm to 3pm and it's still light enough to be doing stuff outside.
Polar nights and white nights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or