U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2018, 02:58 AM

6,238 posts, read 2,582,692 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Well, at least you sat down and did the math. It sounds so great until you run the numbers in detail. Other people dismiss the unpleasant realities and end up in big trouble. Hope you do get to visit someday! It's not going anywhere. Might look a little greener due to climate change however.
Even posters on this form, many of which you will find have some kind of cushy pension, military retirement or other significant source of income to fall back on when company treachery strikes their jobs. Some on here cant seem to recognize that they are in a nice situation to deal with the ruthless job market in Alaska and they will make posts and recommendations to that effect.

Alaska Eric I believe has a nice cushy military retirement so everything he says needs to be taken with a gain of salt - obviously if you have a large sum of money coming in every month you will do ok anywhere.

Its super expensive to live up here

Housing is sky high (no its not the bay area) but its steep for what it is. Anchorage is not really all that cosmopolitan but yet has a somewhat cosmopolitan price tag. The property taxes are through the roof and can represent 1/3 of your mortgage.

Eating out is cost prohibitive, for us its like a once a month thing as it can easily be a $100 bill for a single meal at a half way decent place with minimal drinks.

Luckily we do have a costco and they have good deals but that means your cooking constantly, make sure you have a TOP end dishwasher or you will be sorry. If you are tired and dont want to cook, even going out for a quick meal starts adding up quick. I went through my bank accounts and realized I had a $200 a month mcdonalds habit (forget to make lunch one day, extra hungry for breakfast another, get that extra piece of cheese) .... pretty soon its $200. I could not believe it but it adds up and it does not take much.

So if you can stomach the entry cost for a house and the ongoing super high taxes and are willing to cook all the time from costco, brew your own beer and make your own stuff you might be ok. If one of you worked in the medical field and made good money that would be a nice hedge against oil and gas treachery. Just because you don't work directly for an oil company does not mean anything the effects are deep because our state is SO dependent upon oil and gas. Oil and gas cuts, the main contractors cut, their subs get cut the suppliers that suppy the subs loose sales so they cut then everyones spending is cut to asturity measures which then leads to tertiary lay offs and cuts of seemingly unrelated industries. The only GOOD money outside of medical and fed govt is oil jobs and when they can no longer spend it has a ripple effect. You cant prop up the entire economy on a few doctors and a few GS12's.

While the main US is supposedly doing good we have not seen the worst in Alaska, oil and gas companies are still doing more lay offs. Not sure if this is it but the damage done from almost a half decade of sustained lay offs year after year is not going to be fixed over night and we are just starting to see the secondary and tertiary effects of stagnant investment and child like behavior from oil companies that think the oil is just going to pump itself out of the ground and that they should pay no taxes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2018, 11:15 AM

30 posts, read 4,151 times
Wow thank you all guys for the wonderful information, I appreciate it. It has further solidified in our minds that relocation to Alaska is not cost effective for our family of 6.
We do hope to visit one day though.

Old 11-28-2018, 12:52 PM

6,053 posts, read 3,273,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
Even posters on this form, many of which you will find have some kind of cushy pension, military retirement or other significant source of income to fall back on when company treachery strikes their jobs. Some on here cant seem to recognize that they are in a nice situation to deal with the ruthless job market in Alaska and they will make posts and recommendations to that effect.

Alaska Eric I believe has a nice cushy military retirement so everything he says needs to be taken with a gain of salt - obviously if you have a large sum of money coming in every month you will do ok anywhere.

That's on top of my nice cushy state retirement, my SBS income, my wife's nice cushy state retirement and her SBS income. And having gotten bored with retirement she's now working for her old employer on a contract basis.

Jobs are available, you just have to look and be qualified. Even our granddaughter and her husband are making almost $150k a year six months after entering the job market. They'll be well over $200k in a few years. And they're only 26 years old. I don't think you're trying hard enough. And your bad attitude probably is glaringly obvious to any interviewer. That's most likely the primary reason you can't find a decent job.

Old 11-28-2018, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
That's on top of my nice cushy state retirement, my SBS income, my wife's nice cushy state retirement and her SBS income. And having gotten bored with retirement she's now working for her old employer on a contract basis.

Jobs are available, you just have to look and be qualified. Even our granddaughter and her husband are making almost $150k a year six months after entering the job market. They'll be well over $200k in a few years. And they're only 26 years old. I don't think you're trying hard enough. And your bad attitude probably is glaringly obvious to any interviewer. That's most likely the primary reason you can't find a decent job.
Even if you get a job lined up make sure you have an exit strategy because of job instability up here (unless its fed govt). Recognizing reality does not equate to "having an attitude", even friends I have in the industry recognize that fact. The situation in Alaska oil and gas is getting old for even the most positive chipper people.

But yes relationships wont be the same once there is a breach of trust (ie definition of treachery). These lay offs are not performance related either, you can be laid off because an oil comapny randomly decides to cut a bunch of work and all the sudden the subs are left with no work and cant keep you on because they paid out 6 figure bonuses to the higher ups, high 6 figures.

All these things need to be realized when looking into Alaska (unless your a medical doctor or govt GS with a job lined up and a minimum of GS7 or 8 otherwise your pay is not going to cut it).

I have applied to well over 200-300 jobs since I was laid off (some just clicking through on linkedin and ziprecruiter but many many others writing out custom cover letters and even custom resumes), this was becoming prohibitively time consuming and was not producing results so at the recommendation of my wife I just got one all inclusive resume and just applied to as many jobs as I am qualified .... that was in JANUARY!!

So be warned, even if you have a job lined up, unless you have a strong contract that forces the company to make sure you get paid you can be let go and then stuck up here.

Thats cool that they have good jobs, im sure there was some guy making 6 figures in detroit too. If people have the right contacts and hobnob in the right circles at the right time its possible to get these jobs up here. My wife still has a good job and before I got laid off we were over 200k. The reorganizations in oil and gas have been wide and deep and my entire network was, for the most part, wiped out (forced retirements, demotions, forced relocations, etc). The people that remained in my network were either now demoted to lower levels or got lucky and were able to make some latteral moves but were not in hiring authority. I have been slowly rebuilding my network.

But the OP needs to know that if you find yourself without a job up here its not just applying to 10-20 jobs and replacing your income in a month or two. Maybe if you get lucky but if your not so lucky it can get really ugly for people up here.

Personally for me once I get a real job again I am simply going to continue living the dave ramsey life style until I have AT LEAST half a mill saved so I can generate at a minium 2k a month in passive income. If you start making money and start eating out and traveling etc you could find yourself in a super bad situation when the ax falls.

Old 11-28-2018, 06:25 PM

284 posts, read 127,263 times
Quote:

Its super expensive to live up here

Housing is sky high (no its not the bay area) but its steep for what it is. Anchorage is not really all that cosmopolitan but yet has a somewhat cosmopolitan price tag. The property taxes are through the roof and can represent 1/3 of your mortgage.

Eating out is cost prohibitive, for us its like a once a month thing as it can easily be a $100 bill for a single meal at a half way decent place with minimal drinks.

Luckily we do have a costco and they have good deals but that means your cooking constantly, make sure you have a TOP end dishwasher or you will be sorry. If you are tired and dont want to cook, even going out for a quick meal starts adding up quick. I went through my bank accounts and realized I had a $200 a month mcdonalds habit (forget to make lunch one day, extra hungry for breakfast another, get that extra piece of cheese) .... pretty soon its $200. I could not believe it but it adds up and it does not take much.

So if you can stomach the entry cost for a house and the ongoing super high taxes and are willing to cook all the time from costco, brew your own beer and make your own stuff you might be ok. If one of you worked in the medical field and made good money that would be a nice hedge against oil and gas treachery. Just because you don't work directly for an oil company does not mean anything the effects are deep because our state is SO dependent upon oil and gas. Oil and gas cuts, the main contractors cut, their subs get cut the suppliers that suppy the subs loose sales so they cut then everyones spending is cut to asturity measures which then leads to tertiary lay offs and cuts of seemingly unrelated industries. The only GOOD money outside of medical and fed govt is oil jobs and when they can no longer spend it has a ripple effect. You cant prop up the entire economy on a few doctors and a few GS12's.

While the main US is supposedly doing good we have not seen the worst in Alaska, oil and gas companies are still doing more lay offs. Not sure if this is it but the damage done from almost a half decade of sustained lay offs year after year is not going to be fixed over night and we are just starting to see the secondary and tertiary effects of stagnant investment and child like behavior from oil companies that think the oil is just going to pump itself out of the ground and that they should pay no taxes.

Oh please... Sour grapes.

Old Yesterday, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northrick View Post
Oh please... Sour grapes.
Making recommendations to protect ones family financially is now passing for “sour grapes”

Last time I checked, income loss can have pretty serious consequences

Old Yesterday, 07:30 AM

4,999 posts, read 5,534,130 times
I would think that the tourist industry is bringing in a few bucks. Granted, that's only a few months out of the year, but every little bit helps.

Old Yesterday, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemur View Post
I would think that the tourist industry is bringing in a few bucks. Granted, that's only a few months out of the year, but every little bit helps.
That’s if you are a high school or college student who wants to live in a hostel for the “Alaska experience”, there is not really any money in it unless you are the owner of said business

Old Yesterday, 10:58 AM

6,969 posts, read 11,771,551 times
Quote:
That’s if you are a high school or college student who wants to live in a hostel for the “Alaska experience”, there is not really any money in it unless you are the owner of said business
My gawd! The tourist industry is wide open for entrepreneurs in Alaska. Now, if your personality sucks and you have a bad disposition probably best to look for an hourly paycheck job so you can always be a slave to The Man.

Old Yesterday, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
My gawd! The tourist industry is wide open for entrepreneurs in Alaska. Now, if your personality sucks and you have a bad disposition probably best to look for an hourly paycheck job so you can always be a slave to The Man.
Like what? What can you make really good money in that does not have a monumental financial barrier to entry? You might be right but I have not found a venture that does not require at least a quarter million dollar but in (real estate building equipment etc)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or