U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 03:27 PM

20,562 posts, read 26,722,924 times

Advertisements

Don't you at least get a discount on beer at LBJ?

This is a stuck record. Pitts can't find a job, Pitts blames everyone else and makes whatever active thread this forum still has all about him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 03:42 PM

6,238 posts, read 2,582,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Don't you at least get a discount on beer at LBJ?

This is a stuck record. Pitts can't find a job, Pitts blames everyone else and makes whatever active thread this forum still has all about him.
Yea op come on up, spend your last dime going up and all the employers up here are trustworthy

Give me a break met

Old Yesterday, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
Yea op come on up, spend your last dime going up and all the employers up here are trustworthy

Give me a break met
I actually agree with a lot of what you say about the job market in Alaska and wouldn't advise anyone to come up on spec. without a solid exit plan. My comment was more about how I've seen you turn up your nose at the mention of rotation jobs or moving to another state where there's more work as well as how you always make these threads about your own sad situation.

Might as well leave while you can, Pitts. Your new governor bought off the uninformed with lies about a future full of super-sized PFDs, and the next wave of end-of-the-roaders is soon to follow.

Last edited by Metlakatla; Yesterday at 04:23 PM..

Old Yesterday, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
I actually agree with a lot of what you say about the job market in Alaska and wouldn't advise anyone to come up on spec. without a solid exit plan. My comment was more about how I've seen you turn up your nose at the mention of rotation jobs or moving to another state where there's more work as well as how you always make these threads about your own sad situation.

Might as well leave while you can, Pitts. Your new governor bought off the uninformed with lies about a future full of super-sized PFDs, and the next wave of end-of-the-roaders is soon to follow.
Rotation jobs are a life style choice but if the money is right, sure.

Last edited by pittsflyer; Yesterday at 06:49 PM..

Old Yesterday, 05:52 PM

4,999 posts, read 5,534,130 times
Quote:
Again if the money is right I would do it long enough to pay off the house and save what I need.
Dig for gold in the Yukon?

Old Yesterday, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemur View Post
I would think that the tourist industry is bringing in a few bucks. Granted, that's only a few months out of the year, but every little bit helps.
Much of the revenue the tourist industry brings into the state goes right back out. If you've ever taken an Alaska cruise, you've noticed the storefronts in the port cities around the docks -- most of those belong to the same companies that stalk the Caribbean during their cruise season.

Dealing with the public -- especially the tourist public -- is a huge drain for people who aren't extroverts. I had to laugh a little recently when I was accused by someone in the Oregon forum of having a "fish shoppe" (their spelling, not mine) in storefront that did a little canning in the back. We're all too foul-tempered and introverted to work retail even if we stupid enough to open a retail seafood store in the middle of nowhere in a place where everyone has all the free seafood they want. Pitts probably is too. Not everyone has the personality for dealing with tourists for months on end.

Thought about putting up some tourist cabins on some property I own but then realized that would mean having tourists around.

Last edited by Metlakatla; Yesterday at 06:55 PM..

Old Yesterday, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Rotation jobs are a life style choice but if the money is right sure. I have been applying out of state as well and could get a rotational job from ak down south and live in a real town where my wife can accompany rather than a dirty man camp that treats people like inmates. Again if the money is right I would do it long enough to pay off the house and save what I need.
Yeah, sometimes you just gotta bite the bullet.

Old Yesterday, 08:43 PM

6,969 posts, read 11,771,551 times
Quote:
Like what? What can you make really good money in that does not have a monumental financial barrier to entry? You might be right but I have not found a venture that does not require at least a quarter million dollar but in (real estate building equipment etc)
Prime example. I met this fellow in 2004. He bought a well used fire engine red Hummer and brought it to Ketchikan with the idea of offering a "Hummer Tour". He contracted with one of the tour vendors on the dock to sell his tour. That first year he was the only employee. He's grown that business and kept expanding it every year.

https://akhummer.com

All it takes is an imagination, drive and determination.

Same story with Ketchikan Kayaks. They started with a van and a couple of kayaks.

http://www.kayakketchikan.com

Last edited by stiffnecked; Yesterday at 08:53 PM..

Old Yesterday, 10:28 PM

1,947 posts, read 1,713,637 times
Quote:
Rotation jobs are a life style choice but if the money is right, sure.
Guys I know that work rotations work 14 days a month and make $140k/year.

You're right; that's terrible.

Old Yesterday, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riceme View Post
Guys I know that work rotations work 14 days a month and make $140k/year.

You're right; that's terrible.
going rate for engineers on rotation is more than that and yes, so long as I am not low balled, itís a good deal. But I have been to the slope and it is a **** hole, I would have to be getting full rate to go and I know how much engineers are worth up there
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or