U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old Yesterday, 11:19 PM
 
6,238 posts, read 2,582,692 times
Reputation: 4036

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
Prime example. I met this fellow in 2004. He bought a well used fire engine red Hummer and brought it to Ketchikan with the idea of offering a "Hummer Tour". He contracted with one of the tour vendors on the dock to sell his tour. That first year he was the only employee. He's grown that business and kept expanding it every year.

https://akhummer.com

All it takes is an imagination, drive and determination.

Same story with Ketchikan Kayaks. They started with a van and a couple of kayaks.

Southeast Sea Kayaks
I wanted to do flying tours but the FAA puts people through hell once you start “flying for hire”, I have thought about writing a letter to dot and higher about all the encombrances faa piles on people making everything in aviation an expensive boondoggle
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old Yesterday, 11:45 PM
 
Location: Interior Alaska
1,947 posts, read 1,713,637 times
Reputation: 1433
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
going rate for engineers on rotation is more than that and yes, so long as I am not low balled, it’s a good deal. But I have been to the slope and it is a **** hole, I would have to be getting full rate to go and I know how much engineers are worth up there
Gosh you're kidding. I wasn't referring to engineers. They are welders and mechanics. Also wasn't talking specifically about the slope, but you're all dialed-in, so I'm sure you knew that, too.

This is exactly the **** attitude that people are referring to when they say they're not surprised that you can't find a job.

The point, Pitts, was that I'm pretty sure $140k to work 168 days is better than whatever it is you've got going on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 12:41 AM
 
20,562 posts, read 26,722,924 times
Reputation: 13430
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
going rate for engineers on rotation is more than that and yes, so long as I am not low balled, it’s a good deal. But I have been to the slope and it is a **** hole, I would have to be getting full rate to go and I know how much engineers are worth up there
When I worked rotation, it was at an exploratory project, and conditions were pretty nice. There were only about 40 of us onsite at any given time. That was back in the mid-2000s. The project is still going on. You might want to check it out and see if there's something for you:

Niblack Project - Home Page - Thu Nov 29, 2018

ETA this place has changed hands since I worked there, but at the time, it was a very good place to work.

Last edited by Metlakatla; Today at 12:51 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 01:22 AM
 
6,238 posts, read 2,582,692 times
Reputation: 4036
Quote:
Originally Posted by riceme View Post
Gosh you're kidding. I wasn't referring to engineers. They are welders and mechanics. Also wasn't talking specifically about the slope, but you're all dialed-in, so I'm sure you knew that, too.

This is exactly the **** attitude that people are referring to when they say they're not surprised that you can't find a job.

The point, Pitts, was that I'm pretty sure $140k to work 168 days is better than whatever it is you've got going on.
Yes but what I have going on now does not require me to live on the slope for 2 weeks at a time. If I got a low ball offer I might take it long enough such that I could do what I am doing now only part time and then quit the slope.

The slope is not a nice place to be and a "qualify of life now vs how fast will the pay advance my life later" calculation has to be made. Everyone, EVERYONE is making that same calculation when they accept or reject jobs. When you say that's a "bad attitude" you sound like a corporate apologist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 01:31 AM
 
6,238 posts, read 2,582,692 times
Reputation: 4036
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
When I worked rotation, it was at an exploratory project, and conditions were pretty nice. There were only about 40 of us onsite at any given time. That was back in the mid-2000s. The project is still going on. You might want to check it out and see if there's something for you:

Niblack Project - Home Page - Thu Nov 29, 2018

ETA this place has changed hands since I worked there, but at the time, it was a very good place to work.
Cool thank you I will check it out.

What ever the oil companies end game is its gone DOWN HILL and I haven't been there in like 4-5 years. I know others who have been up there within the last year and said its only gotten worse.

I would like to think I am a pretty smart guy and I cant seem to figure out what their angle is to letting the fields go into a complete state of dilapidation, lay off one of the most talented, educated and experienced work force in, arguably, the world of oil and gas and alienate a large portion of the Alaska population through their political strategies, mass lay offs and constant complaining about taxes (which are cheaper than anywhere else in the USA).

I suspect BP wants to get out of Alaska but even Conoco is not really hiring they are just kind of there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 08:20 AM
 
Location: Interior Alaska
1,947 posts, read 1,713,637 times
Reputation: 1433
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
Yes but what I have going on now does not require me to live on the slope for 2 weeks at a time. If I got a low ball offer I might take it long enough such that I could do what I am doing now only part time and then quit the slope.

The slope is not a nice place to be and a "qualify of life now vs how fast will the pay advance my life later" calculation has to be made. Everyone, EVERYONE is making that same calculation when they accept or reject jobs. When you say that's a "bad attitude" you sound like a corporate apologist.
Dude. Again, I wasn't talking about the slope. There are rotation jobs that are not on the slope.

If you knew anything at all about me you would be eating that "corporate apologist" accusation, but that's not even relevant. You're just deflecting. You have a bad attitude and it has undoubtedly affected your ability to reenter the workforce at the level you think you're entitled.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 01:07 PM
 
6,238 posts, read 2,582,692 times
Reputation: 4036
Quote:
Originally Posted by riceme View Post
Dude. Again, I wasn't talking about the slope. There are rotation jobs that are not on the slope.

If you knew anything at all about me you would be eating that "corporate apologist" accusation, but that's not even relevant. You're just deflecting. You have a bad attitude and it has undoubtedly affected your ability to reenter the workforce at the level you think you're entitled.
Well if I find one I will apply
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top