U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2018, 08:07 PM

61 posts, read 114,873 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

I'm moving to Bethel for a contract at YKHC and while I've been researching it for a while, I have a few questions below that I still would like answered:

Does everyone get their mail at the Post Office? What about packages from Amazon/Walmart or Fred Meyer/Costco? Do those go to where you're staying or does it go to Post Office?

When you shop at Costco or Walmart in Anchorage and you use their Bush dept. to mail to Bethel, do they automatically separate your frozen foods/refrigerated food from other stuff and have it mailed safely or how does that work?

I've heard people say they buy a pallet twice a year or so of groceries. Is this a pallet of goods from one store or various? Is this through freight?

Do people who work at the hospital go to work in warm clothes and then change into regular work clothes/shoes once getting to work?

I've seen people mention the tundra of Bethel but is it truly tundra or is it Taiga? I've seen a lot of maps and websites online that don't really answer it for me. It looks like it's farther south than where the Tundra line in. Why does Bethel have more permafrost than Anchorage even though they're more or less at the same lattitude?

I know the rent is through the roof in Bethel. Just wondering how many people from Bethel are able to afford such hefty rent?? Or maybe they don't?

That's all for now, I may add more later. Thanks so much!

Zman
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2018, 09:51 PM

1,792 posts, read 1,198,811 times
I’m going to give you bush advise. Not bethel specific but still the bush.
You will have to go to the post office to get your mail. Your fed ex or usps might be contracted out to a local business (in Dillingham ups was) but most likely it’ll all go through the post office.

Bush orders should only be used for dry goods or goods that can be mailed. Frozen and meat can be brought in as your luggage. Also some of the air cargos are a great way to save money. We never ordered meat or frozen goods through any bush order because of the fee to take it to a air freight provider.

We are teachers so when we lived on the Yukon (inside ykhc’s umbrella) we made about 4 trips to town a year with school business. We bought our meat and frozen vegetables then but carried it back. In Dillingham it was ok to drop off at ACE because it was a hub. Shipping costs on freeze was 1/2 the cost to the hub as to a stop beyond.

I wore my work clothes under my winter gear. Layers are your friend.

Multi-generational dwellings.

Old 11-20-2018, 10:19 PM

4,602 posts, read 1,755,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zacharias View Post
I've seen people mention the tundra of Bethel but is it truly tundra or is it Taiga? I've seen a lot of maps and websites online that don't really answer it for me. It looks like it's farther south than where the Tundra line in. Why does Bethel have more permafrost than Anchorage even though they're more or less at the same lattitude? Zman
Whether there's permafrost or not depends on more than latitude. The makeup, structure, and depth of the soils, and how uniformly it is insulated by vegetative cover also have a large effect. Anchorage is closer to open ocean than Bethel, the average temperatures are warmer than Bethel, and the bowl is probably exposed to warmer marine air and more sheltered from arctic wind than Bethel, so the soils probably stay warmer more of the year. Not an expert of course, but those things come to mind.

Old 11-20-2018, 11:16 PM

287 posts, read 129,975 times
Quote:
Hey all,

I've seen people mention the tundra of Bethel but is it truly tundra or is it Taiga? I've seen a lot of maps and websites online that don't really answer it for me. It looks like it's farther south than where the Tundra line in. Why does Bethel have more permafrost than Anchorage even though they're more or less at the same lattitude?

Can't speak to shipping and some other questions along those lines, but I have spent some time in Bethel for work. Taiga is boreal forest. In other words, some trees. There's no trees around Bethel and that would be why people call it tundra. I was out there doing geotech borings for a housing project and it was frozen from top to bottom - about 15 ft down.

As for why Bethel has permafrost and Anchorage (for the most part) doesn't, Alaska is more complicated than just latitude would suggest. The various marine waters, the mountains, and most importantly, the way storms typically roll through all play a role in what a particular local sees weather-wise.

Old 11-21-2018, 11:42 AM

1,694 posts, read 3,104,311 times
If you're not already, sign up for Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan and then join Club 49. It will allow you 2 free checked bags and discounts on freight.
https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Old 11-21-2018, 01:19 PM

61 posts, read 114,873 times
Thank you all for the information! I really appreciate it as I learn all I can about bush AK before I go up there.

That is interesting about the permafrost and how Bethel is colder than Anchorage. I wonder if possibly Bethel's proximity to the Bering Sea somehow makes it more vulnerable to arctic air. Plus Anchorage seems like it'd be a bit more protected from arctic air because of both the Brooks and Alaskan range.

I did sign up for AK Air mileage plan but couldn't for Club 49. You have to be a resident and I don't even have an address up there yet of where I will be staying. I thought about putting the the hospital's address but then it said it will verify my address...?? Otherwise yeah it would be nice to have the Club 49!

Thanks again all!

Zman

Old 11-21-2018, 01:50 PM

2,943 posts, read 1,568,239 times
Quote:
I wonder if possibly Bethel's proximity to the Bering Sea somehow makes it more vulnerable to arctic air...
Maybe, but typically the coldest air is found over land, especially when there's no sea ice. Bethel is not on the ocean while Anchorage is. That's certainly a factor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska