U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2018, 03:39 AM

1,223 posts, read 3,299,185 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Prayers for all involved.

I am curious. Do Alaskans say "good" when they mean "bad", or "big"?
I'd say it's mostly when referring to something big. Earthquakes are often described as "good ones" when they are big enough to rattle us. Normally a 5 doesn't rattle most people, but these aftershocks are too frequent right now so there's a few of us that consider them "good ones" right now, lol.

This was by far the worst one I've been through. Being on the 12th floor of a building that is built on sand sure did some damage - but my friends in the Valley have it worst. Their houses literally fell of the foundations and cracked in two - we're hoping FEMA will help out, because they cannot afford to fix the houses themselves...

And I've posted this on all facebook groups I'm in, but I'll post it here too - baby child proof locks keep dishes safe in your kitchen. I learned that a few years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2018, 12:02 PM

2,568 posts, read 3,978,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweden View Post
And I've posted this on all facebook groups I'm in, but I'll post it here too - baby child proof locks keep dishes safe in your kitchen. I learned that a few years ago.
We have the non-slip pads in our cupboards and none of our dishes fell out. We also have the soft close doors and they seem to have a little bit of tension that helped keep them closed. I opened one cupboard that has glass water goblets on the top shelf and they had danced their way to the very edge of the shelf and were just held back by the closed door.

Old 12-07-2018, 02:08 PM

1,951 posts, read 1,721,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweden View Post
- baby child proof locks keep dishes safe in your kitchen. I learned that a few years ago.
That's a really good idea - thanks for sharing. I'm going to do it and share with one of my sisters that lives in Eureka CA on the Cascadia subduction zone.

Old 12-07-2018, 04:45 PM

6,322 posts, read 2,614,324 times
Compared to 1964 this was a very mild earth quake. I would be curious if this quake was enough to relive the plate tension or if we are still due for a real quake. 1964 was a 9.2 vs what we just had was a 7 or 7.2 and if I remember correct the ricter scale is a log plot so it is exponential and not linear so a 9.2 was hell.

Old 12-07-2018, 09:37 PM

239 posts, read 158,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
Compared to 1964 this was a very mild earth quake. I would be curious if this quake was enough to relive the plate tension or if we are still due for a real quake. 1964 was a 9.2 vs what we just had was a 7 or 7.2 and if I remember correct the ricter scale is a log plot so it is exponential and not linear so a 9.2 was hell.
Any quake is relieving tension in a fault, for a while.

7.0 range is definitely in "real quake" territory, some of the areas that are susceptible to liquefaction, or areas that are transmitting the sound waves had quite a bit of damage. Eagle River and Chugiak got it good, that's for sure. We're still having aftershocks, but I don't feel them where I am, but over in ER? Oh yeah, they're feeling them still.

I agree that a 9.2 is pretty unimaginable, unless you've been through it.

Old 12-08-2018, 01:49 PM

4,645 posts, read 1,766,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Czechsix View Post

I agree that a 9.2 is pretty unimaginable, unless you've been through it.
I wasn't living there in '64 but a close friend of mine grew up there and has told me vivid memories of it. She happened to be outdoors at the time and watched their house crumble into rubble. Her sister was in the house, searched for, but never found.

The strongest quake I've been in was the 1971 San Fernando (or Sylmar) now categorized as MMI XI. In Richter terms about 8. Not too much damage to our house probably due to the direction of movement, its orientation and style of construction.

Last edited by Parnassia; 12-08-2018 at 02:23 PM..

Old Yesterday, 09:12 AM

376 posts, read 173,014 times
https://www.theverge.com/2018/12/8/1...chorage-damage

Old Today, 04:30 PM

1,951 posts, read 1,721,642 times
I posted an article that video was linked in in the other EQ thread but it was sort of hard to get to. This short clip has an excellent graphic illustration of how the Richter scale increases exponentially. Each successive magnitude is 33 times larger than the previous one, so the 9.2 in 1964 was roughly 1,000 times larger than the one a couple weeks ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNN7eDXzlMo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska