Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2018, 11:17 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,863,546 times

Advertisements

Anchorage scored well in this one at the end of the day. No deaths. The city and suburbs were well-prepared. I posted on the Anchorage thread that this is not the big one, however. The 1964 quake was 9.2, one of the biggest ever in North America. The quake today was 7.0. The difference between a 7.0 and 9.2 is huge. So congrats for mostly riding this one out, but realize something bigger is still out there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2018, 12:26 AM

2,993 posts, read 4,301,121 times
We had a decent shaking in Delta Junction some 300+ miles and several mountain ranges away from the epicenter.

Old 12-01-2018, 01:44 AM

388 posts, read 307,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
We lucked out. One picture fell down. Some 10 inch letters my wife has over the stove fell down and a three step ladder fell over. Our house is fine. No cracks in any of the walls. My wife's daughter in Anchorage has significant damage to her house and tons of broken dishes and other items. Even the refrigerator opened up and spilled everything on the floor. Granddaughter between Palmer and Wasilla had some items fall on the floor, but no real damage.
Glad to hear it! We're just east of Wasilla and had nothing damaged at home, though some things fell off shelves. Our store in downtown Wasilla was in worse shape- lost some inventory due to water damage from a busted pipe, and we'll have wet carpet for days. But it could be a lot worse. I'm very glad we don't stock anything that comes in glass bottles!

Old 12-01-2018, 12:29 PM

Location: :0)1 CORINTHIANS,13*"KYRIE, ELEISON"*"CHRISTE ELEISON"
3,078 posts, read 6,195,604 times
Lightbulb I hope everyone is OK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcticState View Post
Friends are sending incredible pictures, here's one of Vine Rd between KGB & Parks Hwy

What a picture, thanks for sharing!

Stay safe everyone. Praying for all of you

Old 12-01-2018, 02:36 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,054,836 times
Worried about you folks. Alaska people are tough from what I have seen on the tube. How's your plumbing and water? How are people getting around with the roads split down the middle? Snowmobiles work but what are you folks doing to get by?

Old 12-01-2018, 05:19 PM

2,795 posts, read 5,612,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowerPower00 View Post
Worried about you folks. Alaska people are tough from what I have seen on the tube. How's your plumbing and water? How are people getting around with the roads split down the middle? Snowmobiles work but what are you folks doing to get by?
Our well got shaken so I had run the hose for a couple of hours to purge the well.
Roads: as far as I know they've been able to detour around the damaged roads. So it's slowing things down. The Monday morning commute into Anchorage could be interesting.

Old 12-01-2018, 06:04 PM

15,416 posts, read 9,049,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcticState View Post
Friends are sending incredible pictures, here's one of Vine Rd between KGB & Parks Hwy
Another one from that same location.

Old 12-01-2018, 07:39 PM

3,513 posts, read 6,373,551 times
I hope the aftershocks are few, mild and end soon. After the Loma Prieta quake in the SF Bay Area in 89 my nerves were a wreck for weeks due to worry about strong aftershocks. The fact that my normal route to and from work took me under the double decker freeway that had collapsed had something to do with it, although my route was permanently changed as a result.

Old 12-01-2018, 11:52 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,110,679 times
We got lucky but we have to check our deductible and what our homeowners covers because even a $500 set back could really hurt us.

I am sure this quake did damage that families are not going to be able to recover from for years.

Old 12-02-2018, 01:03 AM

9,398 posts, read 8,863,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
We got lucky but we have to check our deductible and what our homeowners covers because even a $500 set back could really hurt us.

I am sure this quake did damage that families are not going to be able to recover from for years.
You bring up a good point. Earthquake insurance, while expensive in areas like Anchorage, is only as good as the companies that offer it. There is always a possibility that an insurance company will not be able to pay out settlements depending on the severity of the event. I don't think this is the case with this particular quake, as most of the damage seems to be non-residential, if I am reading the media reports correctly. But there is always a slight risk with any insurance policy, no matter how air-tight it may seem to be.

But, yes, those without a specific Earthquake clause likely will have to fend for themselves. Fortunately, as I mentioned, it doesn't look there was too much residential damage other than some minor personal losses and clean-up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska