Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2019, 01:56 AM

2 posts, read 2,807 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,,
North Carolinian here. I have been curious and obsessive about living in Alaska for quite some time now. Although I will always love my home state, it is becoming way over crowded like much of the lower 48 and my family and I are in need of a drastic change. I would be moving with my wife and 2 year old daughter. I have done extensive research on the pros and cons of living in Alaska and although I have never visited, I am convinced it is our happy place and we are destined to live there. The beauty, self-sufficient and seasonally challenging lifestyle, isolation, and the size of the state are just a few of the many reasons I am deeply interested in Alaska. So, Alaskans, sell me on where I should move to in your state. Since I would be moving across the country from a semi-urban area of NC (Raleigh-Durham) and we have a small child I would still like the amentites of living in civilization but not be within city limits so we can still get the Alaskan experience. We plan on doing a lot of shooting, hunting, fishing, and hiking. Obviously, we would be complete newbies so living in the more remote areas may not be the best way to get started living in Alaska although that may appeal to us later on . As far as our budget goes, ~$1200 a month for housing is ideal. I appreciate all advice and recommendations. You all are awesome!!!!

Thanks,,...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2019, 03:05 AM

1,931 posts, read 2,170,347 times
Wasilla/Palmer. That is where you will be able to afford 1209 month and it be decent. Though it’s busy by Alaskan standards it’ll be like Hicksville, NC for you.

Old 01-02-2019, 08:55 AM

10,557 posts, read 7,755,116 times
I agree with above post. Only other considerations would be Kenai peninsula or Juneau area, but probably too expensive there.

Old 01-02-2019, 09:09 AM

2,674 posts, read 2,627,105 times
First consideration is where you can get a job.

Old 01-02-2019, 10:31 AM

7,308 posts, read 14,689,820 times
First consideration is visit first in the middle of winter and then decide.

Old 01-02-2019, 10:55 AM

284 posts, read 404,979 times
I graduated from college in Eastern N.C. couple decades ago. I thought I was gonna die from the heat after receiving a scholarship there. I spent a total of six years there and N.C. was good to me but...really couldn't wait to get back to north country. (2 years to complete bachelors and worked there 4 yrs). Always hated summers. Anyway, as mentioned-do you have a job lined up? If you've never been here--your reaction to AK. might be like mine to N.C. regarding winter. I had an old college buddy come up one summer to fish--he basically got about 4 hours of sleep over 5 days. Summer sunlight drove him damn near nuts! You will also hear many times over that it is expensive to live here compared to down your way. I'm paying 3.91/gallon for gas right now but I live in a town with 14 miles of road-only way in or out is plane or ferry. Wife and I lived in Anchorage and left in 2005. Won't ever go back there as it really changed for the bad, in our opinion. You might want to take heed to what folks tell you from the interior AK. Good luck!

Old 01-02-2019, 12:10 PM

23,292 posts, read 18,824,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarylDixon View Post
Hello everyone,,
North Carolinian here. I have been curious and obsessive about living in Alaska for quite some time now. Although I will always love my home state, it is becoming way over crowded like much of the lower 48 and my family and I are in need of a drastic change. I would be moving with my wife and 2 year old daughter. I have done extensive research on the pros and cons of living in Alaska and although I have never visited, I am convinced it is our happy place and we are destined to live there. The beauty, self-sufficient and seasonally challenging lifestyle, isolation, and the size of the state are just a few of the many reasons I am deeply interested in Alaska. So, Alaskans, sell me on where I should move to in your state. Since I would be moving across the country from a semi-urban area of NC (Raleigh-Durham) and we have a small child I would still like the amentites of living in civilization but not be within city limits so we can still get the Alaskan experience. We plan on doing a lot of shooting, hunting, fishing, and hiking. Obviously, we would be complete newbies so living in the more remote areas may not be the best way to get started living in Alaska although that may appeal to us later on . As far as our budget goes, ~$1200 a month for housing is ideal. I appreciate all advice and recommendations. You all are awesome!!!!

Thanks,,...
Your budget for rent alone is going to limit you quite a bit. Near Anchorage or Soldotna. A quick search of rents in Juneau is over your budget...most of SE AK will probably also be over. In those affordable places you won't be living in a self-sufficient manner, you'll be in cities. Of course over time and under perfect circumstances you could eventually GET that style of living or at least do it recreationally. OK, "average" may be what you can look up online, but half the places will be more than that average and half under.

An important aspect to consider is that the quality/comfort of rentals up here isn't going to be comparable to many places down south. You really really need to come look to get an idea what you can get for that budget. I assume you've also researched the cost of everything else you need; food, utilities, transportation, medical care, and have tacked on the freight surcharges for all the stuff you have to end up getting mail order. I also assume you have landed a stable well paying job and that you'll have some assistance with moving costs.

Last edited by Parnassia; 01-02-2019 at 01:16 PM..

Old 01-02-2019, 12:57 PM

1,004 posts, read 1,189,020 times
"The beauty, self-sufficient and seasonally challenging lifestyle" This statement worries me. I hope you dont think you can farm or grow all your food in Alaska.

Old 01-02-2019, 01:30 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,717,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarylDixon View Post
Hello everyone,,

Thanks,,...
A lot of people romanticize Alaska.

Move wherever you can get a job and have an exit plan.

Old 01-02-2019, 03:09 PM

1,931 posts, read 2,170,347 times
I’m no longer warning people about AK. Let them do their “extensive” research (watching TV shows about AK) and make their choices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska