Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2019, 05:46 PM

3,680 posts, read 2,938,440 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
May in most of Alaska is brown and goopy.
Alright - summers are prime but very expensive. What might you recommend then?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2019, 07:00 PM

20,251 posts, read 36,941,411 times
Quote:
March is an awesome time to visit. There are a bunch of events - Fur Rondy and the Iditarod start in Anchorage, dog sled sprint races and ice sculpture competitions in Fairbanks, various equinox celebrations, probably other stuff I'm not thinking off. It's not as cold and grim as Dec/Jan/March but it's still good for winter activities. Usually it's one of the better months for northern lights viewing. Your chances of seeing auroras would be much better up by Fairbanks than by Anchorage, both because of drier weather and because of the higher latitude.

Grizzly and black bears will be hibernating. They occasionally get up for a while but you're not likely to see them.
Good points about March and the Auroras, specially around Fairbanks. For taking photos of the Auroras, my favorite times are in mid to late September before the snow falls, and in early to late March with snow on the ground. In this case (September) there is open water such as you can see below.

Old 01-07-2019, 07:35 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,805,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoGuy View Post
Alright - summers are prime but very expensive. What might you recommend then?
March. lol

Old 01-07-2019, 07:49 PM

15,214 posts, read 8,818,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianaOakland View Post
First of all, thanks for this amazing forum, just knew about it yesterday and already registered.

I am a senior student from Asia, studying here in California. I will graduate in April and go back to my country. I've always wanted to see Alaska before leaving the US going back home.

I do have a week off (Spring break week) in late March. What do you think? Is it a good time to visit Alaska? Can I drive during that time? I am not accustomed to driving in snow. How many days is enough?

What do I like?

I want to see Anchorage, The Northern Lights, and a couple of the most famous national parks, I would like to see the Alaskan bears.
Is it possible for you to take the trip right after you graduate, and before you leave the US? Maybe early May? An extra month could give you a lot better weather, and more light.

Then again, if you really want to see the Northern Lights, March might be the best time.

Old 01-07-2019, 08:57 PM

26,512 posts, read 36,380,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
Is it possible for you to take the trip right after you graduate, and before you leave the US? Maybe early May? An extra month could give you a lot better weather, and more light.

Then again, if you really want to see the Northern Lights, March might be the best time.
Because it's brown and goopy in (early) May, Cloudy. There won't be any of the good things about summer or the good things about winter. Just a bunch of brown, shoulder-season goop. The trees won't even have leaves on them yet.

Quote:

Old 01-07-2019, 09:14 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,518,993 times
Quote:

May in the Anchorage area greens up during the second week.

Old 01-07-2019, 09:16 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,518,993 times
Quote:
March is an awesome time to visit. There are a bunch of events - Fur Rondy and the Iditarod start in Anchorage, dog sled sprint races and ice sculpture competitions in Fairbanks, various equinox celebrations, probably other stuff I'm not thinking off. It's not as cold and grim as Dec/Jan/March but it's still good for winter activities. Usually it's one of the better months for northern lights viewing. Your chances of seeing auroras would be much better up by Fairbanks than by Anchorage, both because of drier weather and because of the higher latitude.

Grizzly and black bears will be hibernating. They occasionally get up for a while but you're not likely to see them.

Fur Rondy starts in February and ends a few days into March just as the Iditarod starts.

Old 02-18-2019, 12:11 PM

1,956 posts, read 1,591,758 times
Who let their kid get access to the internet unsupervised?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska