Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2019, 09:11 AM

31 posts, read 25,727 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
My choice would be Ketchikan as well (lived in both places but have spend much more time in Ketch. so am probably biased).

No matter which one you choose, you'll need a car in Alaska. Otherwise, you'll be stuck not being able to get out and explore. If you choose Ketch., you can take your vehicle up on the ferry from Bellingham as long as it's (the ferry, not the car) still running when you come up.
I'm more inclined toward Ketch too, as it's closer in size to the towns I'm used to. I'm hesitant because of the crush of tourists during the summer. When I was there it was jammed full.
I'm considering leaving my career with friends in WA and having it sent up when the ferry starts running again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2019, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Cleric View Post
Both Fairbanks and Ketchikan have reputations for being two of the best towns in Alaska for performing arts.

Mosquitoes haven't been bad the couple times I've visited Fairbanks during summer, but out of town in certain areas I'm sure they're awful.

Dunno about food prices compared to Seattle-that may be true.

All I know for sure is that Fairbanks would be better for stargazing due to more clear nights. Ketchikan typically gets a lot of cloud cover and rain-over 140 inches on average annually. However, they're currently experiencing a drought. Started last summer and has persisted through this winter.

Ketchikan is so much warmer than Fairbanks! It'd be my pick for that alone.
Thanks! Mosquitos surprisingly were a deal breaker for me. Lived in the Dakotas so the cold doesn't bother me but being from the south I don't want to deal with skeeters if possible HaHa

Ketch appeals to me because of its unique climate. Don't laugh!

Old 02-26-2019, 09:16 AM

I have another question, and I apologize for asking so many. But as a pipe smoker are there any limitations on getting tobacco shipped there? My usual company won't ship there and I called but they couldn't give a reason why. Anyone with experience? Thanks!

Old 02-26-2019, 09:53 AM

26,639 posts, read 36,722,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southerner29 View Post
I'm more inclined toward Ketch too, as it's closer in size to the towns I'm used to. I'm hesitant because of the crush of tourists during the summer. When I was there it was jammed full.
I'm considering leaving my career with friends in WA and having it sent up when the ferry starts running again.
When you live in Ketchikan, you just stay out of the downtown area during cruise season. Most of the ships are gone at night, though.

I think you misunderstood me about the ferry.

Old 02-26-2019, 09:55 AM

2,047 posts, read 1,661,124 times
Quote:
Thanks. That's a bit of a wait but I can understand for preservation and scam purposes.
You can still buy a non-resident fishing license. It's going to cost more but you can get one.

Old 02-26-2019, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
When you live in Ketchikan, you just stay out of the downtown area during cruise season. Most of the ships are gone at night, though.

I think you misunderstood me about the ferry.
Perhaps. From my internet query, the ferry is seasonal. Correct?

Old 02-26-2019, 10:22 AM

26,639 posts, read 36,722,762 times
Quote:
Perhaps. From my internet query, the ferry is seasonal. Correct?
The ferry from Bellingham to Ketchikan is not seasonal. Maybe the information you found was on the one that goes all the way up to Whittier. What I meant is that the ferry may stop running altogether due to state budget cuts.

Old 02-26-2019, 10:36 AM

2,383 posts, read 3,104,090 times
Quote:
Thank you! I go more for deep-space viewing and I thought I could get away from all the light pollution to get enough darkness to see faint galaxies etc. Are there any clubs etc in the interior?
I'm not sure this is exactly what you're looking for, but we have the phenomenally cool geophysical institute at the university which includes Poker Flat Research Range, just up the road from Fairbanks.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geophysical_Institute

Welcome to Poker Flat | Poker Flat Research Range

https://www.geophysicalsocietyofalas...embership.html

Old 02-26-2019, 10:37 AM

2,795 posts, read 5,616,028 times
Quote:
I My usual company won't ship there and I called but they couldn't give a reason why. Anyone with experience? Thanks!
You'll find that it's not uncommon that a place won't ship to Alaska. Even Amazon items. One of the challenges of living here.

Old 02-26-2019, 12:37 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,691,026 times
Quote:
The downtown cruise ship dock area is a very small part of the town. I used to take people on custom tours in the summer in Ketchikan and they were always shocked that there was more to the town then trinket shops and jewelry stores. We lived on the northside of town and seldom had the need or desire to go downtown in the summer. As Met said after the ships pull anchor and sail away for the day it's chill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska