Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2019, 02:37 AM

1 posts, read 1,282 times

Advertisements

So I currently live in Louisiana. I own a small business selling farm equipment and parts online. I've always planned to move to Barrow but I'm just getting financially able to do so. My question is if I move to Barrow, will I be able to ship my parts there so I can continue to run my business. I've done my research and I understand it's not the most accessible place which is why I ask. My other question is obviously the cost of having my business there and the costs of shipping parts there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2019, 05:57 AM

7,308 posts, read 14,681,771 times
Yes, you'll be able to ship ur parts there. Also Barrow has a large but underserved farming community. Ur most pressing problem will be lack of housing. Upwards of a 2 year wait list. Good luck.

Old 03-20-2019, 11:23 AM

2,993 posts, read 4,300,500 times
Having a business that relies on shipping in a place like Barrow is not a good idea. Shipping is bad enough up here on the road system.

You better have some unique equipment parts that only you have, otherwise why would people order from a business in Barrow and wait longer and pay more for a part they can get elsewhere?

Old 03-20-2019, 01:10 PM

1,004 posts, read 1,187,773 times
I don't think the local farmers need any equipment other than grow lights.

Old 03-20-2019, 01:29 PM

23,250 posts, read 18,751,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon.Brim View Post
So I currently live in Louisiana. I own a small business selling farm equipment and parts online. I've always planned to move to Barrow but I'm just getting financially able to do so. My question is if I move to Barrow, will I be able to ship my parts there so I can continue to run my business. I've done my research and I understand it's not the most accessible place which is why I ask. My other question is obviously the cost of having my business there and the costs of shipping parts there.
Were you intending to continue to sell agricultural equipment/parts or mechanical equipment/parts in general? Out of all the places in AK you chose Barrow, the northernmost community in the US (and probably the farthest away from equipment manufacturers unless you consider HI or the Pribilof Islands). Why not the Mat-Su region or the Kenai Peninsula? What sort of research did you do? I'd love to see what info source suggested that Barrow is an agricultural hub. OK, I know Wikipedia isn't the most stellar source of information but just in case your browser missed it...a quick look at the entry about Barrow (now Utqiagvik BTW) didn't mention harvesting anything out of the ground except oil and gas.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Utqiagvik,_Alaska

Last edited by Parnassia; 03-20-2019 at 01:54 PM..

Old 03-20-2019, 01:42 PM

2,795 posts, read 5,611,728 times
Quote:
Brand new account, first post... I'm guessing someone is trying to mess with us or be a troll.

Old 03-20-2019, 01:51 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,686,990 times
This is the best idea I've seen all day so far.

Old 03-20-2019, 03:40 PM

10,545 posts, read 7,731,511 times
Quote:
My question is if I move to Barrow, will I be able to ship my parts there so I can continue to run my business... .
No, you won't. Thanks for asking.

Old 03-21-2019, 10:49 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,812,105 times

Old 03-22-2019, 01:01 AM

1,931 posts, read 2,168,164 times
The cost to ship up and out would make the cost of the parts astronomical for Anyone to buy.
What did you research? Louisiana state records? Alaska facts and history?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
View detailed profiles of: