U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2019, 04:20 AM

31 posts, read 12,912 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haolejohn View Post
It took 7-10 days for stuff to arrive. You won’t get the 2 day shipping, but it wasn’t bad.
If you fish, I think DLG is arguably the best fishing in the state. Opportunities are there for the best fishing in the world possibly.
I don't fish yet but I am hoping to make some friends that do lol and don't mind teaching me how. I'm not exactly a couch potato or anything but I could be in denile
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2019, 04:28 AM

6,372 posts, read 2,541,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ardor80 View Post
Well I just tried to mail a box of diapers... And if I put the word box anywhere in there it red flags it. I am going to check with the post office... Maybe it goes in a different way or something.

Getting ready for this move has been really hard. We have kids and I'm kind of old to be trying to change my life style to much. I'm excited and nervous lol.
Then try POB 123, instead of box 123.

Old 04-09-2019, 11:17 AM

2,635 posts, read 4,299,576 times
Our post office here in Wasilla has us do it this way:
Name
401 N. Main Street
#xxxx
Wasilla, AK 99654

Normally my address is

Name
P.O. Box 87xxxx
Wasilla, AK 99687

It works for FedEx and UPS. It takes an extra day or so for the Post Office to get the package to us though.

Old 04-09-2019, 12:01 PM

2,926 posts, read 2,943,391 times
I'd second AKstaffords way.

I just use numbers on the second address line and omit the word box and p.o. box. Usually works.

You can always do general delivery to the post off for first 30 days I believe until you get it figured out. Just put general delivery on it and they will hold it at the post office for you for up to 30 days. This only works for USPS, not fed ex or UPS.

Old 04-09-2019, 12:15 PM

Thanks guys for the help. It definitely makes sense why our address has both a physical location and a po box. Can you ship TVs there? We just sold ours because we were afraid it would break on the barge anyway? Maybe we won't need one lol. I am excited about moving to this place.

Old 04-09-2019, 01:27 PM

8,763 posts, read 3,817,603 times
Quote:
Thanks guys for the help. It definitely makes sense why our address has both a physical location and a po box. Can you ship TVs there? We just sold ours because we were afraid it would break on the barge anyway? Maybe we won't need one lol. I am excited about moving to this place.
Also agree with addressing things as suggested (lived in an even tinier town than Dillingham for decades) through the PO but check with them. Also check with the local air taxis that serve the airport. They can give you more ideas for work-arounds for larger freight (UPS, FEDEX). You could order the tv from a place in Anchorage and take delivery at an airport freight forwarder or Alaska Airlines. You'll eventually decide which products are worth trying to ship to yourself from outside and which are not...putting up with the limited choices you can get in town.

Last edited by Parnassia; 04-09-2019 at 01:41 PM..

Old 04-09-2019, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Also agree with addressing things as suggested (lived in an even tinier town than Dillingham for decades) through the PO. Also check with the local air taxis that serve the airport. They can give you more ideas for work-arounds for larger freight. You could order the tv from a place in Anchorage and take delivery at an airport freight forwarder or Alaska Airlines. You'll eventually discover which products are worth trying to ship to yourself from outside and which are not...putting up with the limited choices you can buy in town.
As far as I can tell
... Amazon will let me order a 50 inch TV and send it to Dillingham... Looks like it only takes a week... I still haven't had a chance to call the post office yet. I don't want it to be undeliverable or broken.maybe we don't need one lol. Maybe I'll just get something and ship it on the barge. We are not barging a lot of stuff. Basically just our beds and kitchen stuff and dry food stuff. We have basically enjoyed getting rid of all the things that we have accumulated over the years.

I know I can probably Google air taxi's but what is that? Is it for people or just for shipping stuff

Old 04-09-2019, 03:02 PM

Quote:
As far as I can tell
... Amazon will let me order a 50 inch TV and send it to Dillingham... Looks like it only takes a week... I still haven't had a chance to call the post office yet. I don't want it to be undeliverable or broken.maybe we don't need one lol. Maybe I'll just get something and ship it on the barge. We are not barging a lot of stuff. Basically just our beds and kitchen stuff and dry food stuff. We have basically enjoyed getting rid of all the things that we have accumulated over the years.

I know I can probably Google air taxi's but what is that? Is it for people or just for shipping stuff
Oh sorry! An "air taxi" is a regional area flying service. They use smaller lower elevation prop aircraft and usually provide "seat fare" passenger service as well as freight; often including the local USPO contract and freight forwarding for FedEx and UPS. Scheduled flights, simple point-to-point transport, charters, hunting, fishing and camping dropoff services and flightseeing during the tourist season. More frequent and flexible than the jets (Alaska Air, Ravn, etc.) I don't know Dillingham's providers. Co-workers, neighbors, and local businesses will know. One example I found pretty quickly: http://bayair-alaska.com/newsite/WP/

Last edited by Parnassia; 04-09-2019 at 03:51 PM..

Old 04-09-2019, 03:13 PM

2,926 posts, read 2,943,391 times
Sometimes Amazon will say it will deliver to your address, even when it's in your cart, right up until you checkout, which it then informs you that it can not be shipped to you after all.

A 50 inch TV would definitely be on the bigger end of things being able to be shipped for free up via prime here, I'd be surprised if it actually shipped.

But I've order some pretty large items off Amazon so you never know. It's hit or miss and really comes down to the vendor. Sometimes you can find a vendor who will ship you a literal couch, only to be denied free shipping on something small and silly like a bottle jack for example.

This is all from road access experience, not a Bush hub so YMMV.

Old 04-09-2019, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.7traveler View Post
Sometimes Amazon will say it will deliver to your address, even when it's in your cart, right up until you checkout, which it then informs you that it can not be shipped to you after all.

But I've order some pretty large items off Amazon so you never know. It's hit or miss and really comes down to the vendor. Sometimes you can find a vendor who will ship you a literal couch, only to be denied free shipping on something small and silly like a bottle jack for example.
This is definitely true! Happens all the time. Sometimes I can finish the actual purchase without a problem but then receive an annoyingly chipper but apologetic little email message afterward telling me the product can't be shipped to my location. You'll also see it when shopping the big box websites like Home Depot, Target, Costco, Best Buy, Lowes, Walmart, etc. If you shop those national chains it helps to select an AK store location right up front. The available product choices drop dramatically. I suppose that's a little better than waiting to get the bad news during checkout and having to start all over again.

There are many skills you will learn living here...including becoming a lot less picky and a lot more creative.

Welcome to adventure in the Last Frontier. Enjoy the ride! and but

Last edited by Parnassia; 04-09-2019 at 03:45 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska