Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2008, 10:47 AM

1 posts, read 6,955 times

Advertisements

My family and I will be moving from El Paso, Texas to Anchorage, Alaska with the Air Force. I would appreciate any advice on shipping a vehicle, or purchasing a vehicle when arriving in Anchorage. Any advice is greatly appreciated as this is a huge first move for my very young family......thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2008, 01:00 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,848,232 times
When my son moved from El Paso to MN, the army (I believe) paid for gas and/or a daily allotment. I would check to see if they cover the vehicle along with your household goods for shipping because of the distance you have to go. When we moved up here from MN, sold our car there and bought another after we got here, because drove up with truck and 5th wheel and didn't even want to look at the cost of shipping the car. Good luck!!!

Old 07-18-2008, 05:10 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,448,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bailey3112 View Post
My family and I will be moving from El Paso, Texas to Anchorage, Alaska with the Air Force. I would appreciate any advice on shipping a vehicle, or purchasing a vehicle when arriving in Anchorage. Any advice is greatly appreciated as this is a huge first move for my very young family......thanks.
If you have never driven on snow and ice before, I highly recommend that you take a winter safety driving course. We end up with an inordinate number of people in the ditch on the first day the snow sticks every winter without fail.

I also recommend studded tires, even if your vehicle is an AWD or 4x4. Once you arrive in Alaska, you should also have your vehicle winterized (block heater, battery heater, anti-freeze tested to -60°F, and a lighter weight of oil). You will burn less gas warming up your vehicle if your block heater has already warmed up the engine before you start your vehicle.

Old 07-22-2008, 07:43 PM

16 posts, read 51,079 times
Hey bailey.....we are air force too, living in San Antonio and are relocating to Elmendorf in December...we are in the same boat! Cant wait to get there and have so many questions!

Old 07-23-2008, 04:30 AM

50 posts, read 174,929 times
I can't agree with Glitch enough about the driving. If you have never driven in these conditions please take his/her advise. **Sorry Glitch I'm not sure which applies **
I bet the Air Force has some kind of statistics how many people are injured/killed in auto accidents after transferring here. I remember watching a news report about it but that was several years ago. If your vehicle is older with rear wheel drive I personally would sell it. I would defiantly put studs on what ever you end up driving and unless you are going to have a garage the block heater is a must. Also it really is vital to have a serious emergency kit in your car.

The other thing to really consider esp. with children is appropriate winter gear. The kids must play outside at school unless it is like 10* or something crazy like that. So many parents will skimp on gear for their kids not realizing. For example boots. In my opinion if money is tight you are better off buying second hand boots that are made well such as Sorrel's or Columbia for example (you can go buy the new liners and have a decent boot) than to buy the "cute" noname winter boots that are cheaply made. In my experience the better boots will usually last past the time when they do not fit where as cheap ones self destruct before Christmas and are usually always wet. Same goes for coats. Stick with a decent brand that is made well. Again if $ is an issue always shop 2nd hand first. I worked for a 2nd hand place for a couple of years and it is amazing the quality of donations, you just have to look. Another idea is to check craigslist for Anchorage.

I am happy to answer any specific questions you may have and feel free to send a PM if you like.

Good Luck!

Erika

Helpful links:
State of Alaska Home Page State of Alaska
craigslist: alaska classifieds for jobs, apartments, personals, for sale, services, community, and events Craigslist
Alaska News, Jobs and Advertising from the Anchorage Daily News | Anchorage, Mat-Su Valley, Kenai Peninsula Anchaorge Daily News

Old 07-24-2008, 11:06 AM

763 posts, read 2,260,521 times
Sell your car there and buy a new one here, unless the AF is paying for it. You will be amazed at what kinds of cars come in 4WD that you don't see outside of places like this. For example, I have a Mazda Protege 4WD. There are 4WD or AWD Toyota Celica, Corolla, vans, Mercury Sables, etc.,and of course Subaru.

Get studs and heaters as has been suggested.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
View detailed profiles of: