Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2008, 11:06 AM

18 posts, read 48,610 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,
I've just recently registered so I'm a newbie who sends a big Hello to everybody out there!

We're a happily married couple with 3 small children who are looking into Alaska as a possible place to move in the not too far future. There are many reasons why AK sounds like a place where we'd love to live and raise our children - the "problem" is we are not sure if this is doable up there from one income only.
My husband works in a medical field and would earn around 60k a year in AK but I am a stay-at-home mom and obviously we want to keep it that way for our growing family. I used to work in the webdesign field so if it was absolutely needed I could perhaps work part time but it's more like a last resort rather than something we plan on. We are aware of the high living expenses up there and we have no idea if this is realistic at all. Also how are the rental property prices (just for a year or so till we settle) and is it better to buy a house or to buy a land and build on it?
Thank you in advance for any help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2008, 11:12 AM

655 posts, read 916,048 times
I would say yes, you can easily live quite comfortable on $60K a year in Alaska. You will also find there are many ways as a stay at home mother you can save the family $ and cut down on your costs. Alaska is chalk full of natural resources and folks can actually provide a vast majority of their food resources naturally, if your into that sort of thing. Fishing and hunting are not just "hobbies" here, people actually sustain themselves from that way of life.

Rentals are not real cheap here right now, but it depends on where exactly you want to live. Anchorage will set you back about $1800-$2500 a month for a house that would be suitable for your family. The valley would be $1300-$1800 for a comparable house.

It is probably much more feasible to just buy a home if you can. Lots of good deals right now.

Old 04-28-2008, 11:17 AM

655 posts, read 916,048 times
PS. Living expenses are higher here, but not like you are probably thinking. Groceries will run about 10% more. I suggest Costco and making a monthly trip. Costco prices will compare to the lower 48. Utilities are cheap by the unit here, but obviously we consume more due to the long cold winters. For a house suitable for a family of 5, plan on something like $180 a month for Electric and $350 a month for gas / heat. Gasoline is about the same as it is in the lower 48. Property taxes are high in Anchorage and average to the lower 48 in the valley.

Old 04-28-2008, 11:30 AM

18 posts, read 48,610 times
Thank you! Yes I am/we are very interested in frugal lifestyle, my husband used to fish a lot and just planning on trying out hunting the first time these days. Grocery prices are growing everywhere so even here in VA we constantly think about becoming more and more self sufficient and frugal. I'd love to do some gardening but I have no idea how it'd go in Alaska since the growing season is short. Also if it's possible to raise your own chicken for example sorry it might be a silly question. I do need to look into these things more .We also plan on homeschooling and Alaska's great freedom in this area is very tempting.
Anyway, we don't have a specific idea as far as where we'd settle but obviously within reach from a medical center/hospital for hubby. So it depends on job openings too, plus first we have a house to sell here

Thank you again!

Old 04-28-2008, 11:49 AM

2,628 posts, read 6,884,432 times
Hey ginghem-

Some communities in Alaska offer homeschooling programs through the local school district or charter school that help you organize your curriculum, provide resources and social events, etc. Sometimes you also get the [small] allotment of tax money that would have gone to the school for your child.
A few places to start:
Family Partnership Charter School (Anchorage)
Frontier Charter School (Anchorage)
HomeBRIDGE (Juneau)
IDEA (Galena/Interior)

Good luck!

Old 04-28-2008, 11:51 AM

5,475 posts, read 12,239,912 times
You may want to read up on some of the older threads here. There are all sorts of folks who raise chickens, fish, hunt, garden (shorter growing season yes, but longer summer days, so it's doable).

Old 05-03-2008, 10:00 PM

124 posts, read 340,815 times
Many smaller towns like ours are near Medical Clinics. The "Sunshine Clinic" often has openings, and housing is affordable here in Trapper Creek. We are currently building a home to sell, 3 bedroom, all modern with super insulation so it will be a 5* rated home. Several years ago a young man I knew was in the very position you find yourself today, and his wife wanted to work as a nurse, I sent her to this clinic and they did have an opening, but it was for someone in a supervisory position, well it ended up she got the job and has been very happy there....

My parents said years ago, this is the land of opportunity. The health care field is wide open, as several new hospitals have been built, but as I said if you want to live within easy driving distance to the big towns, but out where you can also enjoy the "Alaskan lifestyle", a place like Trapper Creek is a good choice. Hunting, fishing, snowmachining, all right out your front door!

Old 05-04-2008, 01:00 AM

2,519 posts, read 7,029,347 times
I agree with others, if your husband is in the health care field he should have a lot of opportunities.

Also, you just have to be frugal and you can easily live on one income. Don't try to keep up with everyone. Make do with less stuff and a smaller house.

It's about your family, and you know that if you are planning to home school. We have home schooled now for 16 years. Still have two of the four at home. The kids are very glad that they have been homeschooled. It is a different lifestyle and I don't push it on anyone because it has been tough sometimes.

It is definitely possible to live on one income in Alaska.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
View detailed profiles of: