Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2008, 11:30 AM

44 posts, read 98,224 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by akck View Post
Sounds like you'll be working at the Mendenhall Mall Annex. The closest extended stay is by the airport and rooms appear to run about $90/day. They might give better rates if you call them. Unfortunately, I think they charge a pet fee ($75 or $150 sticks in my mind). It's location is almost walking distance to the Mendenhall Mall, but I wouldn't do it. A valley apartment/house would be ideal for you, since you'd be about 5 minutes from home. I know some apartment complexes do allow pets.

It is in the same building as the Re-max folks from what I have been told. Maybe my boss will let me stay in his house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2008, 11:55 AM

5,475 posts, read 12,243,697 times
Yea I think that is in the Mendenhall Mall. I'd want to live in the valley or near Auke Lake/Bay even if I did work downtown.

Old 12-18-2008, 12:05 PM

5,356 posts, read 18,542,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanillaIcey View Post
So, here are my questions, streamlined:

1) What about UAS? Good school? Faculty?
2) Is housing really that expensive? I have bought and sold a couple in the past, but the housing market seems outrageous. Are there any state programs for first time home buyers in the state?
3) Are newcomers welcomed? Easy to network in, especially with two small kids? Social support will be a must with the kids.
4) Discount airfare sites? Discount airlines in Juneau?
5) The snow and ice? We get snow "down here" about twice a year, just a few inches, and ice about once or twice a year. So, does is get below 20nmuch? I know the climate is much milder in SE AK than Anchorage and Fairbanks.

Any help would be very beneficial since this will be a big life change for us.

~basking at 50 degrees. . .
1) UAS is a small school and has a great campus location by Auke Lake. There is also a voc tech and I think a class building by the downtown high school. I don't know much beyond that.

2) Housing is expensive. Expect to pay anywhere from $600 to $1800 for housing. Prices range from $125,000 for condos to $750,000+ for housing on the water. Figure you can get a 3-4 bedroom house for anywhere from $250,000 to $350,000. Prices are coming down and houses are staying on the market for longer periods (months versus days at the peak).

3) New comers are welcome and kids are the best way to network, as long as you participate in activities with them. Sign them up for sports and participate at school. That's where we found most of our long term friends.

4) Lol!!! There is only one airline in Juneau, Alaska Airlines. We figure we subsidize their routes south with what they charge us. Your best bet is to join their mileage program and credit card to get "free" trips. They usually offer Permanent Fund Dividend discounts in Sep-Oct period.

5) Today, it was 0 degrees in the valley and 14 degrees in town. We usually get a cold period for about 1-2 weeks in Nov/Dec and one for 2-3 weeks in mid-Jan/Feb where it gets below 20 and as low -5. Most of the other time it's in the 20s and 30s during the winter. Usually, we get anywhere from 1" to 24" of snow over 1-2 days, which then gets rained off a day or two later. During the last two years, we haven't seen the rain off, so we see more accumulation. Two years ago, the snow pile from our driveway got as high as our roof. The main roads are plowed so the worst driving is on your street, which doesn't get plowed as often, and your driveway. Once you've been here for a winter and driven, you get used to it, however, there are always stupid drivers on the road who can cause you to get into an accident or send you into the ditch.

Old 12-18-2008, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncseakayaker View Post
When does the this demand for housing during the legislative session calm down? It would suck to get there and have to sleep in my truck all winter with my dog.
Session starts mid-January, so the biggest demand is between now and the end of January. I believe we voted them down to a 90 day session, but all that's caused is they'll have more special sessions.

Old 12-18-2008, 12:23 PM

Quote:
It is in the same building as the Re-max folks from what I have been told. Maybe my boss will let me stay in his house.
That sounds like Jordan Creek Center. I didn't know the Feds had offices there. That's across from the Nugget Mall and right by the Mc Donalds.

Old 12-18-2008, 12:29 PM

Quote:
That sounds like Jordan Creek Center. I didn't know the Feds had offices there. That's across from the Nugget Mall and right by the Mc Donalds.

Yep. I think your right about this Jordan Creek Center. It is a small field office from what I understand. Is it a mall or what? Will I have a window in my office in this center?

Old 12-18-2008, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Yep. I think your right about this Jordan Creek Center. It is a small field office from what I understand. Is it a mall or what? Will I have a window in my office in this center?
I haven't been in the building in years. It used to be about half office and half retail. Now I think it's mostly office. Key Bank probably occupies the largest portion. I'd guess your boss will have the window and you'll have 4 walls to decorate, if it isn't a cubicle.

Old 12-18-2008, 01:25 PM

Quote:
I haven't been in the building in years. It used to be about half office and half retail. Now I think it's mostly office. Key Bank probably occupies the largest portion. I'd guess your boss will have the window and you'll have 4 walls to decorate, if it isn't a cubicle.

I feel like I am walking into a very dark tunnel. Hopefully I like what I see when I come out.

Old 12-18-2008, 01:40 PM

VERY IMPORTANT QUESTIONS: How late does Heritage Coffee stay open?

Old 12-18-2008, 01:48 PM

Quote:
I feel like I am walking into a very dark tunnel. Hopefully I like what I see when I come out.
I find that most people fall into one of two categories. Either you love it here or you hate it here with a passion. A lot of which category you'll fall into will depend on how the summer goes. If next summer is anything like the past two summers, I'd give it a better than 66% chance you'll end up hating it here. I guess that's in your favor since we couldn't have 3 bad summers in a row, could we?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska