U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-27-2008, 05:36 PM
 
11,836 posts, read 25,469,751 times
Reputation: 2781

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskapat528 View Post
And the drivers, omg, we won't even talk about those maniacs.
Are they better or worse than Boston, MA?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-28-2008, 02:04 PM
 
Location: Over the Rainbow...
5,963 posts, read 10,748,582 times
Reputation: 3146
Default Drivers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
Are they better or worse than Boston, MA?
My husband says they are about the same. He does state also that they are better up here then N.Y. drivers lol so I can only imagine driving in N.Y.C.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-28-2008, 02:25 PM
 
Location: Alaska
5,356 posts, read 16,340,513 times
Reputation: 4023
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyL View Post
there's no reason to do that here in juneau unless you just want to. juneau has an excellent school system, you should check them out.
Juneau schools have their problems too. The uproar over the new high school and academies within for one example. I've heard second hand that a former board member said studies have shown that academies don't work, yet they are going forward with them anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-28-2008, 04:11 PM
 
Location: Wasilla, Alaska
17,825 posts, read 20,217,314 times
Reputation: 6487
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
I guess I'll have to since Google Earth can't zoom in far enough.
Consider the source. Metlakatla has a rabid Mat-Su Valley phobia, as irrational as Floyd's hatred of most Alaskans. If Wasilla isn't mullet capital, then it is the trash capital of Alaska according to Metlakatla. Anything derogatory on this forum concerning the Matanuska-Susitna Valley you can be assured it originated from either Metlakatla or Floyd.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-28-2008, 08:49 PM
 
21,807 posts, read 27,830,801 times
Reputation: 16454
Quote:
Consider the source. Metlakatla has a rabid Mat-Su Valley phobia, as irrational as Floyd's hatred of most Alaskans. If Wasilla isn't mullet capital, then it is the trash capital of Alaska according to Metlakatla. Anything derogatory on this forum concerning the Matanuska-Susitna Valley you can be assured it originated from either Metlakatla or Floyd.
Not exactly, Glitch. I simply see that there is a fairly big difference between the Mat and the Su valleys. And no, I'm not crazy about Wasilla these days, but then I'm not crazy about any towns that size. However, I think that Willow is a pretty great place, Palmer will always have a special place in my heart because my son was born there and because I simply like it there, and Talkeetna is my second favorite community on the planet. All of these are things I've stated elsewhere here, so kindly don't put words in my mouth concerning how I feel about the area.

That doesn't negate the fact that flying over Caswell ain't too pretty a sight after break up.....or that mullets are hideous.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 04-28-2008 at 08:58 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-28-2008, 11:42 PM
 
Location: Alaska
1,437 posts, read 4,306,716 times
Reputation: 931
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
I think in the next few years there will be a huge influx of people to the Anchorage, Mat Valley, and Kenai areas.
it started just a few years ago, and it's gonna get worse. I just hope all these new folks can find a way to support themselves. Unless they open up 5 new walmarts, it's gonna be tough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-29-2008, 12:02 AM
 
Location: Barrow, Alaska
3,539 posts, read 6,561,231 times
Reputation: 1829
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
Consider the source. Metlakatla has a rabid Mat-Su Valley phobia, as irrational as Floyd's hatred of most Alaskans. If Wasilla isn't mullet capital, then it is the trash capital of Alaska according to Metlakatla. Anything derogatory on this forum concerning the Matanuska-Susitna Valley you can be assured it originated from either Metlakatla or Floyd.
This sort of post should have been deleted to start with.

As much as Metlakatla and I disagree about two or three things, I don't recall either of us posting anything that was derogatory about the Mat-Su valley. Why would you claim we did? Why would you claim that I hate Alaskans??? That is absurd!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-29-2008, 10:32 AM
 
Location: Naptowne, Alaska
15,595 posts, read 35,273,218 times
Reputation: 14699
I like Palmer bacause they have a water tower. And it looks cool against the mountains.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-29-2008, 02:09 PM
 
Location: Alaska
1,437 posts, read 4,306,716 times
Reputation: 931
Quote:
Originally Posted by akck View Post
Juneau schools have their problems too. The uproar over the new high school and academies within for one example. I've heard second hand that a former board member said studies have shown that academies don't work, yet they are going forward with them anyway.
That's politics, as has not a lot to do with how the kids are educated here. We have excellent teachers, and the system is expanding. In fact "Tlingit as a second language" has been started in the elementary school system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-29-2008, 02:50 PM
 
Location: The Woods
16,946 posts, read 22,257,781 times
Reputation: 9051
Of I ever have children, they will be home schooled regardless of how "good" any local schools are. The government will have no hand in educating any of my children if I have them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top