Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2008, 01:37 AM

3 posts, read 14,928 times

Advertisements

I am cycling around the world. Starting 2009 I will cycle London to Beijing, then Prudhoe to Ushuaia, and then Cape Town to Cairo. I've got a lot of questions, so thanks for your help in advance.

My Plan is to cycle the alaskan bit in October November time. What kind of weather can I expect then?
My only experience of cold is -20oC in the scottish mountains. But I figure when I'm cycling it should be easy to keep warm with windproof clothing and thermals. Then when i stop i will use a down jacket and -40oC sleeping Bag.

What will the road conditions be like on the Dalton Highway?

Will there be any facilities open along the way?

How much traffic will be on the road, incase i got sick or injured?

How much much useable light can i expect?

I understand that this is going to be a very tough challenge. But I got my main sponsor with the idea of 3 really tough challenges for me and the bike.
The karakoram highway, The taklamakan desert and Alaska in winter.

Thanks for helping.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2008, 01:49 AM

2,519 posts, read 7,029,951 times
I suppose that since you are a very experienced biker you will have good studded tires, you will be on ice much of the time.

The road is narrow and is travelled mostly by trucks that time of year. You really should be ready to pull off of the road when a truck comes by, they won't be expecting you.

I hope you will be accompanied by support personell. There are long stretch that don't have anyone there even in the summer. Trucks will come along occasionally so you might be able to flag one down.

Your -40C bag may not be warm enough if this get close to the end of November.

When you cross the Brooks Range you truly are in no man's land. For example -45F with a 40 MPH wind is -91F wind chill. "but it's a dry cold" as they say :-)

I say go for it...but be prepared for absolute life and death survival conditions. I would recommend support personell.

Old 05-04-2008, 01:53 AM

1,276 posts, read 1,774,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmware View Post
I am cycling around the world. Starting 2009 I will cycle London to Beijing, then Prudhoe to Ushuaia, and then Cape Town to Cairo. I've got a lot of questions, so thanks for your help in advance.

My Plan is to cycle the alaskan bit in October November time. What kind of weather can I expect then?
My only experience of cold is -20oC in the scottish mountains. But I figure when I'm cycling it should be easy to keep warm with windproof clothing and thermals. Then when i stop i will use a down jacket and -40oC sleeping Bag.

What will the road conditions be like on the Dalton Highway?

Will there be any facilities open along the way?

How much traffic will be on the road, incase i got sick or injured?

How much much useable light can i expect?

I understand that this is going to be a very tough challenge. But I got my main sponsor with the idea of 3 really tough challenges for me and the bike.
The karakoram highway, The taklamakan desert and Alaska in winter.

Thanks for helping.
I sincerely mean no offense by my response, but if you go at this trip alone, make sure your living will is updated. Been through those parts a few times during the SUMMER, would not imagine it in the winter. I admire your spirit though. But on a bycycle? Good luck whatever you decide.

Old 05-04-2008, 07:45 AM

Thanks for the quick replies.
I may need to rethink this.
How cold does it get in October? If i could do 20 miles a day i should be able to finish before November. I've ridden on ice before and 20 miles in a day is alot. Especially a short day.

Old 05-04-2008, 10:12 AM

94 posts, read 266,939 times
Quote:
How cold does it get in October? If i could do 20 miles a day i should be able to finish before November. I've ridden on ice before and 20 miles in a day is alot. Especially a short day.
Here is a webpage about some people who bicycled the Dalton Highway.

Dalton Highway

Old 05-05-2008, 11:44 AM

Thanks for the advice. I've decided to rearrange and start Alaska later in year. When would the best time to go be.

Old 05-05-2008, 08:48 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,157,521 times
Quote:
Perhaps it may not be too cold on the Dalton in October taking into consideration how cold it gets during the winter months. The problem is that weather conditions are unpredictable. Some years it gets around 20-30 degrees F. at night by the second week of September at elevations of approximately 800 feet high. For example, I hunt moose not too far from a place called "Livingood," which is closer to the Dalton than where I hunt. Sometimes it snows quite a lot by 15 September, and the temperatures drop to around 20 degrees F. during the night. Perhaps the temperatures you can deal with, but heavy snow would be much difficult for bicycling.

Other than that, I see lots of Japanese and European bicyclists during the summer months. You may want to consider bicycling the Dalton not later than August. It will be rough because of the gravel or mud you will encounter, specially when being passed by trucks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska