U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2008, 04:11 PM
j1n j1n started this thread

1,237 posts, read 4,147,121 times

Advertisements

You know, I've been on these forums for awhile. I tend to participate mostly where I can offer some good advice, answer questions intelligently, etc. But I also tend to lurk the forums of places that intrigue me.
I've read these threads like "What can (insert-AK-town-name-here) offer me?". And I've read the responses of "well, what can you offer AK?!" I used to wonder why you Alaskans were so abrupt or maybe even harsh with your responses. I mean...why even have a forum if no one can ask a question, right?
But the more time that I spend here (lower 48), the more I understand. I look around me at the piles of tires, washing machines dumped down formerly-pristine mountain hillsides, random trash everywhere, plastic people in climate-controlled purgatory consuming everything in sight, etc. And it makes me ill. It makes wish that I lived somewhere where folks really appreciate what they have...and take steps to protect it. I wish more of the US states took an attitude of "Don't just take all you can...Give it all ya got!". I appreciate your spirits, Alaskans. That's it. Rant over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2008, 08:21 PM

905 posts, read 2,148,026 times
This applies to forums in general. I am active on a few other forums, and we have stickies for a reason. When some noob joins and asks a lot of questions that are covered in stickies, or even are on the same page as the thread they are posting, people get aggravated. Posting the same questions over and over again gets annoying after a while.

The search function is your friend, and is much faster than waiting for responses and getting flamed for being a noob

Old 04-26-2008, 01:03 AM

1,121 posts, read 4,034,791 times
Default do your homework

Yeah, those "tell me everything I need to know about _____ city, I'm thinking about moving there" posts get kinda old. It's no wonder they sit for a while before somebody finally throws them a bone with a few teaser bits and directs them to the archives. It'd be one thing if this were someones job, but since it's all our own time we're wasting here it helps to at least have done SOME of your homework before you start asking huge, overarching questions like that. After all, this ain't the psychic network hotline, we can't read your mind.

I've suggested a FAQ section to direct people to, but I suspect that the job of updating it is so huge that the moderators aren't in any hurry at all to make that happen.

Old 04-26-2008, 01:39 AM

15,595 posts, read 35,282,360 times
Not to mention we'd have an entire page of stickies!

Old 04-26-2008, 07:11 AM

7,088 posts, read 13,044,384 times
well, just a thought, but, perhaps some of the new guys have no earthly idea what the stickies are, much less their function, yeah, there's this thing that says "sticky", maybe they think it's a spiderweb of some sort and a kind soul has labeled it as a hazard. Personally, I do prefer the banter. A topic gets thrown out and responses come in quickly, for the most part. Yeah, I do understand that "Quick" is a relative term. Particularly when I'm wrong, when I don't understand something, but, I think that I do. (this trait of mine has caused me some discomfort over the years) Yall, (sorry for the generic term, but tis the easiest way to express "all of the regular posters") will digest what I write and gently correct my thought process - as with the .223 thing, to name but one of hundreds of things I don't understand fully- see thread on firearms- every now and then, I get something right (usually accidentally), I get feedback on those too. Perhaps it is too much to ask that a newguy, or gal do their homework, this request may actually run contra the basic nature of human existence.

Old 04-26-2008, 08:35 AM

11,836 posts, read 25,475,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorhead View Post
I've suggested a FAQ section to direct people to, but I suspect that the job of updating it is so huge that the moderators aren't in any hurry at all to make that happen.
That's exactly what the moderators in the NC section are doing. After they collect all the info they need to make a sticky specific section.

Old 04-26-2008, 08:36 AM

11,836 posts, read 25,475,846 times
I think that stickies would have greater impact if the font was red.

Old 04-26-2008, 09:12 AM

1,437 posts, read 4,307,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
I think that stickies would have greater impact if the font was red.
I don't think they'll halp at all. you can't help someone who isn't willing to help themselves first.
I don't mind answering a few questions, but I've seem that most of my answers are simply "not what they wanted to hear".
There have been some exceptions, megansmom is the prime example. If you go back thru her thread you will find that most of us have bent over backwards trying to help, hell, some have even offered to meet her on the way to lend a hand. But she and her family were serious from the start and did a lot of work beforehand. They're gonna fit in just fine here.
The others need to stay away, unless they want to find out the hard way we're not gonna change for them.
ok, my part of this rant is over for now....lol

Old 04-26-2008, 10:20 AM

5,963 posts, read 10,752,207 times
Default Yeah, tiresome..

I think alot of folks moving to another State want to hear it first-hand from residents living there. And, yes, this does get old and tiresome. Best to do lots and lots of research on the net or take a trip to where you want to move to. People are willing to help on the forums but it appears many that post wanting answers don't want to do any research, and you cannot base your decisions on strictly a forum. Research is needed for housing, employment, neighborhoods, crime, etc. Google is a great research tool.

Old 04-26-2008, 01:06 PM

21,362 posts, read 33,047,190 times
It amazes me when someone asks a question about somewhere in Alaska, and below where they asked, there are already posts on it. I don't think they know how to scroll a page or use the search feature. Get a clue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or