U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-03-2008, 01:47 PM

602 posts, read 1,275,205 times
It's sad that both of them were dead; it's also attributable to their own actions, sane or not. I remember reading--and Herzog's film may cover this--that Treadwell ranted about other people (e.g., visitors to the area, not necessarily people harming or endangering ANYTHING) and made threats. Doesn't sound nice or sweet to me. Probably the only reason Treadwell and/or McCandless weren't in some controlled environment was that they were essentially homeless and mobile, thus harder to catch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2008, 03:17 AM

3,831 posts, read 4,927,480 times
I can't help being fascinated by the Treadwell character, more than by that poor daydreamer, that lonely soul McCandless. There is an eerie quality in his life & death, something larger-than-life...maybe I find him more interesting because I was also born 1957, I'm of the same generation. A south Californian surfer and former addict and his goodlooking girlfriend eaten alive by a giant bear, the whole thing as a King Kong quality...so dismiss Treadwell just as a loon is way off the track I think...

Old 05-04-2008, 04:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
I can't help being fascinated by the Treadwell character, more than by that poor daydreamer, that lonely soul McCandless. There is an eerie quality in his life & death, something larger-than-life...maybe I find him more interesting because I was also born 1957, I'm of the same generation. A south Californian surfer and former addict and his goodlooking girlfriend eaten alive by a giant bear, the whole thing as a King Kong quality...so dismiss Treadwell just as a loon is way off the track I think...
Look, I'm not trying to be hateful. In a sense, conferring mystery or majesty on either of these men is a problem for me, because that's how you get imitators. I'm not saying that someone who wasn't inclined to do these things would be enticed by the McCandless or Treadwell stories; I'm saying that people involved in less-colorful news stories have "inspired" copycats, and I just think it's a big mistake to "ooh" or "aah"* over either one of them. They both left grieving, devastated families and friends behind, and they did it unnecessarily. They both had issues with society, but they were both presumably pretty intelligent, which might make imitating them a little more acceptable or attractive to someone looking to achieve a little quick fame of his own.

*Not accusing ANYONE of doing this, just explaining why I don't.

Old 05-04-2008, 05:21 AM

3,831 posts, read 4,927,480 times
You are entirely right, FlourChild, you're talking commonsense, the key word being here "glamourization"...

Old 05-04-2008, 12:53 PM

439 posts, read 813,969 times
I agree with everyone that McCandless was dumb for going into a area he knew nothing about and paying the price, but we have that across the lower 48 as well. What about the kid out of High School who wants to make it big in Hollywood and moves out there with nothing and inevitably fails, and becomes one of the many homeless or drug addicts. We have those stories all across the big cities, and it isnt just few people it's many.

Old 05-04-2008, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonredsock5 View Post
I agree with everyone that McCandless was dumb for going into a area he knew nothing about and paying the price, but we have that across the lower 48 as well. What about the kid out of High School who wants to make it big in Hollywood and moves out there with nothing and inevitably fails, and becomes one of the many homeless or drug addicts. We have those stories all across the big cities, and it isnt just few people it's many.
True, that. Maybe if there were thousands of McCandlesses, it wouldn't be news anymore. (But I don't imagine anyone wants that to happen.)

Old 05-07-2008, 06:50 PM

379 posts, read 607,584 times
What really wierd about that Chris McAndeless guy is he could've bought the best equipment and gear for that Alaska trip if he wanted. At one point he had $24,000. But he gave it all to some charity. If he wouldn't of donated that money and bought some nice outdoor gear he could've of made it through.

Old 05-07-2008, 08:53 PM

14,727 posts, read 23,828,896 times
He could have bought a hundred dollars worth of freeze dried food and fared better than he did. We can only hope that that movie knocks some sense into many of the wannabe heads.

Old 05-08-2008, 10:43 AM

957 posts, read 1,490,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caliguy92832 View Post
What really wierd about that Chris McAndeless guy is he could've bought the best equipment and gear for that Alaska trip if he wanted. At one point he had $24,000. But he gave it all to some charity. If he wouldn't of donated that money and bought some nice outdoor gear he could've of made it through.
McCandless seemed to be searching for ways to do without things/money, etc. I think that the object of his trip would have been lost if he had bought lots of gear. Conservative and practical as I now am, I remember having the same kind of fantasies when I was younger. I wanted the REAL test of the outdoors; living with as few conveniences and tools as possible. However, I didn't act on them in such an extreme way, which is probably one reason why I'm here today.

Rance hit the nail on the head; Chris should have carried a substantial stash of dried food with him; he didn't know enough about game in the area or how to deal with game in the wild to be able to achieve his goal realistically. At the very least, he should have gone with some hunters in the area to see how they dressed game, etc. before going out on his own. In this decision, he was arrogant and foolish, and perhaps we can see some of what some have deemed schizophrenic behavior coming out there.

Ah, hell, don't know why...but I do find myself thinking about this whole thing, probably too much and to no good end. Enough for me!

Old 05-08-2008, 09:25 PM

14,727 posts, read 23,828,896 times
Heck even back in the goldrush days they carried a 1000 pounds of gear in their backs or they were not allowed up the trail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska