U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2008, 11:33 PM

96 posts, read 200,370 times

Advertisements

Hey if anyone is interested in seeing a bunch (hundreds) of photos taken in the last year (mostly) in Alaska villages and northern towns, come visit my Facebook profile. I was looking for a place to keep a lot of pictures to share with family, friends etc. I also have photos of some of the Long Range radar sites, former White Alice and Dewline sites, and AT&T microwave/satellite facilities.

White Alice was a cold war communication system in Alaska shutdown about 25 years ago.

If you are already on Facebook, I can add you to my list also so you can see new photos as they get loaded, there are lots more coming. Some places included or to be included soon: Barrow, Atkasuk, Wainwright, Anaktuvuk Pass, Bettles, Circle City, Eagle Summit, Indian Mountain Radar Site, Kotzebue, Shungnak, Kobuk, Kiana, Ambler, Selawik, Buckland, Galena, Koyukuk, Huslia, Kaltag, Kaktovik, Deadhorse, Ft. Yukon, Allakaket, Tanana, Kantishna, Border City, Mentasta, Chitina, Tok, McCarthy, and others. I also have photos of some microwave sites at Cathedral, Knob Ridge, Gerstle River, Black Rapids, McCallum, Paxson, Tok, Delta, Glenallen, I'm sure I am leaving some out. Satellite facilities are in there too.

I'm a tech for AT&T and would be interested in corresponding with others in similar fields.

Dale Powell | Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=598067255 - broken link)

Hope to hear from you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2008, 03:19 AM

3,539 posts, read 6,129,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arcticracer View Post
Hey if anyone is interested in seeing a bunch (hundreds) of photos taken in the last year (mostly) in Alaska villages and northern towns, come visit my Facebook profile. I was looking for a place to keep a lot of pictures to share with family, friends etc. I also have photos of some of the Long Range radar sites, former White Alice and Dewline sites, and AT&T microwave/satellite facilities.

White Alice was a cold war communication system in Alaska shutdown about 25 years ago.

If you are already on Facebook, I can add you to my list also so you can see new photos as they get loaded, there are lots more coming. Some places included or to be included soon: Barrow, Atkasuk, Wainwright, Anaktuvuk Pass, Bettles, Circle City, Eagle Summit, Indian Mountain Radar Site, Kotzebue, Shungnak, Kobuk, Kiana, Ambler, Selawik, Buckland, Galena, Koyukuk, Huslia, Kaltag, Kaktovik, Deadhorse, Ft. Yukon, Allakaket, Tanana, Kantishna, Border City, Mentasta, Chitina, Tok, McCarthy, and others. I also have photos of some microwave sites at Cathedral, Knob Ridge, Gerstle River, Black Rapids, McCallum, Paxson, Tok, Delta, Glenallen, I'm sure I am leaving some out. Satellite facilities are in there too.

I'm a tech for AT&T and would be interested in corresponding with others in similar fields.

Dale Powell | Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=598067255 - broken link)

Hope to hear from you!
I would be very interested in seeing your pictures. But quite honestly the interface of www.facebook.com is obnoxious! It would be vastly more useful on an open web site or at least an image gallery.

Old 04-27-2008, 11:50 AM

1,396 posts, read 2,791,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd_Davidson View Post
I would be very interested in seeing your pictures. But quite honestly the interface of www.facebook.com is obnoxious! It would be vastly more useful on an open web site or at least an image gallery.
Here you go, an extensive image gallery covering most of the state's communities.

Alaska Division of Community & Regional Affairs

Old 04-27-2008, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinuteMan View Post
Here you go, an extensive image gallery covering most of the state's communities.

Alaska Division of Community & Regional Affairs
That is a great resource, and has been available for years.

But what Dale has is significantly different, and is of specific interest to some people (me, for example... he works for AT&T, and I'm retired from AT&T). They don't, for example, have pictures of LRR sites. We wanna look at satellite earth stations!

Old 04-27-2008, 01:19 PM

Default Photos

Hi Floyd-

Well there are a handful of us interested in looking at communications sites. The Cold War sites used to be a sort of hobby of mine, now I travel to some of them. I was looking for a good place to upload pictures that had a batch feature, was user friendly, etc. since I have so many photos. I liked the "Pen-Pal" flavor of Facebook so am giving it a try. One thing I don't like though is that I think you have to be on a friend list to see the photos. Do you know of a good low cost or free place to load lots of photos for anybody to see? Quick and easy to use? And just for you Floyd, this should love REAL familiar.....
Attached Thumbnails
Photos of Alaska Villages, Radar Sites, Etc.-s8000642.jpg  

Old 04-28-2008, 12:33 AM

15,695 posts, read 25,302,452 times
You can upload them free into "photoBucket.com." However, for $25.00 per year, you can have enough room to load hundreds of photos, create slide shows, etc.

Old 04-28-2008, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcticracer View Post
Hi Floyd-

Well there are a handful of us interested in looking at communications sites. The Cold War sites used to be a sort of hobby of mine, now I travel to some of them. I was looking for a good place to upload pictures that had a batch feature, was user friendly, etc. since I have so many photos. I liked the "Pen-Pal" flavor of Facebook so am giving it a try. One thing I don't like though is that I think you have to be on a friend list to see the photos. Do you know of a good low cost or free place to load lots of photos for anybody to see? Quick and easy to use? And just for you Floyd, this should love REAL familiar.....
The most common photo galleries that I've noticed are www.pbase.com and www.flickr.com. There are others, and I've never checked out the cost or operation of any of them. I use the webpage space I get from newsguy.com, but I write my own html and don't upload a bazillion images either.

Your image from last summer of the ATT Alascom earth station was significantly useful to me! In the background, on the right, is of course the GCI earth station. And it is possible to see a truck and some kind of yellowish heavy equipment, and maybe a crate or two. All of which is interesting because in the fall I drove out there and discovered a complete new GCI earth station... and until now I didn't know exactly when they had put that it! Thanks! :-)

In 1998, using the new Sony Mavica cameras that Alascom had issued to each bush site, I generated a CDROM photo archive of the North Slope sites in an effort to get a project going to have that become a standard practice. (I wrote intusing Linux though, and it required Information Services to provide equivalent Windows software, as in those days image archiving software was a fairly new idea. They were not interested, so the demo was fabulous but the project whithered on the vine.) I literally have images of virtually every square inch of each village earth station and the Cape Lisburne site.

These are both Lisburne, and were taken on November 11, 1998.

Here is an example of the level of detail.

Old 04-28-2008, 10:43 PM

Default Site Photos

We have cameras in the travel shop, and we take them along. We do now have a database of images from every site, and as things are always changing it is really helpful to be able to go online if we need to see details of equipment, cabling, whatever. The photos are constantly being used and are available to anyone in the company. The latest thing is taking photos of FCC tower and dish tags, to show that we are in compliance, with a date stamp. Photos do not lie. There are a couple Mavica cameras in the Toll Center, probably the same ones you were using.

Looks like the idea caught on, it's now standard practice and has saved our bacon over and over.

I will see what I can find for an image hosting site, I was using Webshots but it is painfully slow, no batch loading.

Old 04-28-2008, 11:00 PM

Default A Couple More Barrow Photos

Here are a couple more from Barrow, a couple of them are pretty interesting.
Attached Thumbnails
Photos of Alaska Villages, Radar Sites, Etc.-s8000684.jpg   Photos of Alaska Villages, Radar Sites, Etc.-s8000752.jpg   Photos of Alaska Villages, Radar Sites, Etc.-s8000781.jpg  

Old 01-03-2013, 06:57 PM

2 posts, read 1,911 times
Hullo: I'm very interested in contacting Mr. D Powell or others who might have U.S. side of DEWLINE Project images, and have a few of my own from Alaska.
I'm especially interested in the very early days, construction of, and later Opns of the American Dewline sites. i write for the AAHS Journal (American Aviation Historical Society) and open to communications and trades of material.
Thanks.
David
psidavid@yahoo.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska