Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2020, 04:37 PM

1 posts, read 818 times

Advertisements

If you have your choice of moving basically anywhere, Fairbanks wouldn't be in my top 5 or 10 places to relocate too. If you love winter and cold and dark, your in. If not used to this, you are in for a big shocker. General degrees don't pay so well. Healthcare and specialized degrees pay the best. Of course, if no family support, single and 2 kids, this could be much more challenging than you can ever imagine. Fairbanks is lovely and outdoors stuff is great but cost of living is much higher and the weather is crazy tough on vehicles... Repairs on cars will be more frequent as well. Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2020, 12:31 PM

14 posts, read 15,788 times
Hi, thank you for your comment!

I can completely see how Fairbanks wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea! From my research and conversations I have had with some acquaintances I think it is the best option for my family though. We do love the winter season and the cold. I speak for myself and my kids when I say that we don't favor the heat at all, and I am looking for somewhere that does have an established city nearby so that we have access to normal amenities at times. I have been looking at the North Pole area as well since we have found that we thrive the best in smaller towns.

Thank you for mentioning that vehicle wise. I am looking to purchase a 4x4 truck before the move, used but fairly new with lower mileage. Are there any makes that you recommend over the other? I am currently looking at the Toyota Tacoma line. I was raised to do a lot of my own car/truck maintenance but know that this could look very different in Alaska temperatures.

Degree wise, I still have some time to play with my minor options.. do you believe it would be beneficial to go for something like sustainability or natural resource preservation? My college currently offers something similar to both. How does it look up there with learning/advocating for Native Alaskan history and heritage? As I said before, my background besides college has been in finance and in law so I am open to building a career in either field as well.

Again, thank you for your response!

Old 08-17-2020, 01:04 PM

1,169 posts, read 751,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alyOSU View Post

Thank you for mentioning that vehicle wise. I am looking to purchase a 4x4 truck before the move, used but fairly new with lower mileage. Are there any makes that you recommend over the other? I am currently looking at the Toyota Tacoma line. I was raised to do a lot of my own car/truck maintenance but know that this could look very different in Alaska temperatures.
For some reason Toyota Tacomas are quite common. We had one ourselves when there, along with a Subaru.

North of the range, I would definitely recommend the following for any vehicle, in order of importance: Block heater, oil pan heater, battery heater (pad or "blanket"), driving lights ("moose lights" in Alaska parlance.) Also, windshield washer and radiator fluid checked for extreme cold mixture levels, as well as your engine oil matched to Alaska temperature ranges.

For the first three items, these are 115V AC accessories typically installed at the same time and plugged into a short triple outlet extension cord under your hood, which allows you to simply plug one cord into one outlet. Which means your living location ought to come with an outdoor 115V receptacle outlet for your use.

We also had a keyless remote autostart system installed in our vehicles. More amenity than necessity, but it was nice to securely warm up the car for a few minutes before venturing outside, especially with little kids. And for the absolutely coldest days, the more advanced models will periodically start your vehicle to keep the engine warm-ish, for when you are somewhere for some time when you can't plug in. This is more important for older diesels than gas engines IMO.

And the MFR winterization kit is nice. Not sure what comes with the Tacoma these days, but seat warmers, wiper warmers, heated side mirrors are nice.

Old 08-17-2020, 01:09 PM

2,795 posts, read 5,616,028 times
Quote:
that we don't favor the heat at all,
The interior can get pretty hot during the summer...

Old 08-17-2020, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKStafford View Post
The interior can get pretty hot during the summer...
Yes, it is a feature of interior Alaska that the coldest spots in the winter are often the warmest (hottest ) spots in the summer, usually in the river valleys. Fairbanks/North Pole is in the Tanana River valley. There can be many sunny days in the low eighties and very occasionally in the low nineties, but this only lasts for a month or two.

Old 08-17-2020, 01:55 PM

I think we would be able to handle it for a couple of months, especially with such cold weather on the other side of things. It would be a wonderful time to get any/all outdoor work done that I won't be able to do in the Winter. Where we are living currently it is warm for about six to eight months of the year and very different from our home in Oregon, where we at least had extended winters and mountain access.

Old 08-17-2020, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskaflyer View Post
For some reason Toyota Tacomas are quite common. We had one ourselves when there, along with a Subaru.

North of the range, I would definitely recommend the following for any vehicle, in order of importance: Block heater, oil pan heater, battery heater (pad or "blanket"), driving lights ("moose lights" in Alaska parlance.) Also, windshield washer and radiator fluid checked for extreme cold mixture levels, as well as your engine oil matched to Alaska temperature ranges.

For the first three items, these are 115V AC accessories typically installed at the same time and plugged into a short triple outlet extension cord under your hood, which allows you to simply plug one cord into one outlet. Which means your living location ought to come with an outdoor 115V receptacle outlet for your use.

We also had a keyless remote autostart system installed in our vehicles. More amenity than necessity, but it was nice to securely warm up the car for a few minutes before venturing outside, especially with little kids. And for the absolutely coldest days, the more advanced models will periodically start your vehicle to keep the engine warm-ish, for when you are somewhere for some time when you can't plug in. This is more important for older diesels than gas engines IMO.

And the MFR winterization kit is nice. Not sure what comes with the Tacoma these days, but seat warmers, wiper warmers, heated side mirrors are nice.

Thank you for this information! I have done a little research regarding this but not this much yet. We are planning to make the move around July, do you advise waiting until we reach Alaska to get a full winterization done on the truck? I have also been looking at models with heated seats and remote start options.

Old 08-17-2020, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Thank you for this information! I have done a little research regarding this but not this much yet. We are planning to make the move around July, do you advise waiting until we reach Alaska to get a full winterization done on the truck? I have also been looking at models with heated seats and remote start options.
Several shops in Fairbanks run specials for the package, installing the oil/block and battery heater and checking your coolant for sufficient protection for $xxx.99.

For example: Fairbanks Radiator and Muffler is located on South Cushman St. in Fairbanks, next door to Auto Trim Design, Inc. You can make appointments, then drop your car off in the morning for the heater install and coolant check, and then the Auto Trim Design folks will come get it and install the driving lights and remote start system in the afternoon

Thanks to the nearby military bases there are a lot of service members constantly cycling in & out of the greater Fairbanks area so your needs are fairly typical.

Old 08-18-2020, 03:09 AM

6,895 posts, read 5,862,705 times
Quote:
I have been looking at the North Pole area as well since we have found that we thrive the best in smaller towns.
You'll want to actually check these places out in person first. Every time I go through North Pole I feel like I'm either going to catch the Christmas spirit or dysentery.

I'm sure someone's gonna be mad, and all due respect to those who enjoy the place - I'm just saying, it's not everyone's cup of expired eggnog.

Old 08-18-2020, 05:25 AM

7,991 posts, read 5,387,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post

Smart to have a bug out fund. Many folks move up here and last about 2 years. Then they can't wait to move south again when the grand experiment fails to live up to their expectations.
The OP sounds like she has done her research.

And so what if the experiment fails? She/they tried the experience and they can tuck in their life experience folder. Gosh, if one can afford it, go for it.

Although I travel a lot (the perk of working for an airline), I have lived in a 40 mile radius of where I was born my entire life (62 years). I admire people that have lived in different places. You only live once.

Good luck to you and your family alyOSU.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska