U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 01:31 PM

2,628 posts, read 6,128,756 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
Other than catching & preparing salmon yourselves, where would you say that one could have a chance to taste the most varieties of wild salmon?
That restaurant I told you about has both chinook and sockeye. The other varieties aren't really that good in comparison.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2008, 03:53 PM

11,836 posts, read 25,479,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xa'at View Post
That restaurant I told you about has both chinook and sockeye. The other varieties aren't really that good in comparison.
Thanks Xa'at. You have immunity from this quick fire challenge.

Old 05-06-2008, 01:52 AM

1,121 posts, read 4,035,223 times
Default Seattle

Seattle.

You want a variety of fish, you go the fish markets in Seattle. You want Alaskan King Crab, you go to Seattle. You want Copper River Red Salmon right off the jet at ridiculous prices...you guessed it. It's where Alaskans end up selling most of their fish to, regardless of what name is on the processing plant. If it's not sold to someone in Seattle, it'll probably pass through there anyway since it's the transportation hub for the Pacific NW.

Old 05-06-2008, 12:58 PM

45 posts, read 284,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xa'at View Post
Sorry, but nothing in the world could be as good as sockeye salmon. Nothing. Not even chocolate.
Amen sister!

Old 05-06-2008, 09:20 PM

Well I had what I can only suppose was ranch raised salmon sushi this evening. It was kind of depressing to eat it & wonder what wild salmon tastes like.

Old 05-07-2008, 01:40 PM

41 posts, read 165,120 times
Quote:
Well I had what I can only suppose was ranch raised salmon sushi this evening. It was kind of depressing to eat it & wonder what wild salmon tastes like.
Well: I've never eaten Sushi as such, BUT ... have eaten raw salmon right there in the skiff, or in the big boat, numerous times, immediately after pulling the fish from the net.

Surprised me, how good it was. Almost sweet, in an odd way. Anyway, much better than I'd imagined.

As for farmed salmon, don't believe I've ever eaten any.

Well, that's the way it goes. Want the best tree ripened peaches? Go to the orchard. Best beef? Go to a local "organic" rancher. Best salmon? Walk the docks.

Alas, if you're in the Alaskan bush, you're lucky to find a peach of any kind. Organic beef is so rare as unicorns up here, and if you're in, say, Omaha, you will NOT eat the best salmon.

That's just the way it is.

Sure wish you folks could taste truly wild salmon, but seems like a long way to go for dinner .... and the freight to ship it is horrendous!

Ken Johnson
Sand Point Alaska

Old 05-07-2008, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itdincor View Post
Sure wish you folks could taste truly wild salmon, but seems like a long way to go for dinner .... and the freight to ship it is horrendous!

Ken Johnson
Sand Point Alaska
Well since we'll be in Alaska in 3 months I want to eat as much salmon as I can.

Old 05-07-2008, 03:25 PM

4,137 posts, read 7,981,649 times
Quote:
Well since we'll be in Alaska in 3 months I want to eat as much salmon as I can.
How much time are you spending in Alaska, Barkley? One of our first missions when we arrive is to purchase several salmon poles and head off for fishing, though we are missing the Spring king run Perhaps you can join the husband whilst you are here - if you have time and if he is on his two week home rotation.

Old 05-08-2008, 01:54 AM

1,121 posts, read 4,035,223 times
Default don't get your heart set on the kings

Don't get your heart set on the kings, from what I'm hearing numbers are way down this year, in a generally downward trend. They've closed the king salmon sport fishery here on the Chilkat inlet until June, pretty much shutting down the local derby.

On the positive side, there are still four more species left to choose from in addition to the year-rounder like Dolly Varden and trout.

Old 05-08-2008, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandLady View Post
How much time are you spending in Alaska, Barkley?
We'll be on a cruise for a week, then a week in the Mat-Su valley about mid-August.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska