Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 12:32 PM

959 posts, read 2,353,421 times

Advertisements

I absolutely disagree with some folks' portrayal of Palin. She's tough, she's getting money from oil companies, and she has not been anything but positive for Juneau to pull out of its energy predicament. She had the power company and state agencies working together almost immediately to brainstorm solutions. The only problem seems to be that too many people both in and out Juneau are panicking and seeing the worst case scenario before it even has gotten to that point. Calm down, keep conserving energy as much as possible (which lots of Juneauites already are), and wait to see what your state/city officials will do before you want to cut Palin's (or any other government official's) head off. She's better than 95% of politicians out there at this point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2008, 12:58 PM

655 posts, read 911,093 times
I'm buying an electric car or hybrid soon. ********** $4-$5 a gallon for gas. As for the Palin battling the evil oil companies to tax them more.......... did you know that when you deduct everything the goverment gets from barrel of oil at both the state and federal level the oil company nets just $21 of the $121 selling price? The government gets its hands on $100 from the barrel in one capacity or another. The goverment loves these high prices folks. Do your research. I ask, who is really the evil doer here? Its just like the tabaco thing. A pack of cig now selling at $4.35 a pack.....the feds get about $3 of that!!!!!!!!!

We are being bled, slowy to death by the government, not the evil cooporations.

Old 05-07-2008, 01:04 PM

959 posts, read 2,353,421 times
Never said oil companies were evil; my point there was that Palin has been on the stick getting more money for her state in a way that few have been able to. Previous officials were getting $$ for Alaska largely through earmarks, which I also don't feel are necessarily evil but they sure do raise taxpayer's eyebrows at times...even if you're in the state they may benefit!

And trust me...oil companies make PLENTY of money in Alaska and all over. I don't have a $$ per barrel quote...and I'm a bit curious where yours came from so I can do my own research.

Old 05-07-2008, 02:02 PM

1,195 posts, read 5,399,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xa'at View Post
Anchorage "is" second class citizens? Anchorage is second class citizens?

Dude, Tressa, how long have you lived here, six months? You're not even an Alaskan! Which is clearly evidenced by the complete illegitimacy of what you've been writing. Anyone who thinks Anchoragites are second class citizens has spent her entire life living in a delusional fantasyland. Anchorage gets everything. The rest of us have to take whatever scraps the high and mighty anchoragites don't want and you have the gall to say you're a second class citizen? If you had even the slightest clue of what it's like to be a real second-class citizen, I have no doubt you'd be running back home down south in a heartbeat, hopefully bringing your whiny self-serving little girl attitude with you. No one here is feeling even the slightest bit of pain for you, okay?
Yo Dude been here for 35 years this is my home, and re-read my post again you will see that was a question not a statement. I've been here longer than you've been alive I would bet.

Old 05-07-2008, 02:04 PM

2,628 posts, read 6,856,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tressa View Post
Yo Dude been here for 35 years this is my home, and re-read my post again you will see that was a question not a statement. I've been here longer than you've been alive I would bet.
Hmm, I mixed you up with someone else. But the rest of my statement stands. Anchoragites are about the farthest thing from second class citizens and the sort of self-absorbed attitude you've been toting only proves it.

Old 05-07-2008, 02:15 PM

1,195 posts, read 5,399,284 times
Actually I don't feel that way at all, besides we're from Seward and Moose Pass. We know what it's like to be at the end of the road, when the power goes out, high prices of oil and propane, food cost out the roof and they stick you for gasoline as well. Been there done that. And it was my choice to live where I wanted, as well as it's your choice we take the risks that come.

Old 05-07-2008, 06:51 PM

26,506 posts, read 36,360,007 times
For those of you slamming other places....how much time have you spent in the places you're complaining about?

Man, all this Anchorage vs Juneua bs is getting real old.

Old 05-07-2008, 07:47 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,674,166 times
I heard today that gas jumped 25 cents over night at Freddies in Soldotna. I guess there were lines at the pumps last night...everyone trying to fill up before the 25 cent increase. I just may have to invest in a horse and buggy. Good thing it's summer time. I'll be driving the model T's more than ever now. I can drive my roadster pickup everyday for a week...on 10 gallons of gas.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska