U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2008, 01:26 PM

1 posts, read 5,168 times

Advertisements

hey guys,
just a quick questions; what do people eat and drink in barrow?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2008, 02:31 PM

7,311 posts, read 12,193,498 times
Mexican food over at PePe's. No alcohol is sold in Barrow.
Profiles - Tacos of the Tundra
Pepe's North of the Border, Barrow Alaska Tribute by Jeffrey Sward

Old 05-01-2008, 09:50 PM

3,539 posts, read 6,560,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glamflan View Post
hey guys,
just a quick questions; what do people eat and drink in barrow?
Depends on what "people" want to eat and drink! :-)

Anything you like is probably available, one way or another, assuming you are willing to pay for it. For example, buying food in the local grocery store is extremely expensive; hence, a majority of people in town engage in subsistence hunting. Bowhead whale is the most commonly available subsistence food here, but caribou, fish, seals, walrus, waterfowl, and a few other odd items are all common too.

People commonly drink water here, and coffee, and tons and tons of soda pop.

Now, if you meant what would people like you eat here, if you were visiting... that's a whole different story. You'd probably want to go to a restaurant for you meals. We have at least 8 different food joints. One is the deli at the AC Store. One is Pepe's North of the Border Mexican Restaurant. All of the others are owned by Koreans and serve some variety of "Chinese" food, except for Osaka, which offers "Japanese" food and really good sushi too. (Incidentally, Pepe's can put out Japanese food that will make a Japanese person feel at home.)

The best place, both as far as price and good food, is Sam & Lee's Chinese Restaurant.

And by "drink", if you mean alcohol... this is a "damp" town, which means you can import a limited amount (a permit is necessary) but it cannot be sold legally.

Old 05-04-2008, 02:25 PM

Location: Currently living @ the Top of the World in Barrow Alaska
144 posts, read 651,595 times
VIRTUALLY.. .. anything you want, to eat, is available here, in town at Stuaqpak (store).

there are many different stores here in town, but Stauqpak is the biggest and the one that most people use, smaller stores are in town that offer a good selection but as Floyd put it.. food is very expensive, in any village.

Let me tell you, after living in Point Hope, Barrows food market or store is a very welcome sight. These smaller villages do not receive 'fresh' food, every thing has to be frozen. (meat).

Our favorite food is Pizza !! and I am surpised at how good the pizza here is. Several places, have it and the foods you probably are thinking about i.e. cheesburgers, fries, good ol american junk food. It is all here.!!

Walking around the village, your bound to see 'meat' hanging outside, drying to make paniktaq (jerky) it is delicious !! This is one of the staple items hunters bring with them as they embark on long hunting trips lasting several weeks, or longer.

You just never know what your going to see, when walking around this village. Some things are quite shocking at times to come upon, see,, I could have sworn I saw that eye .. blink !!

Old 05-11-2008, 06:28 PM

3 posts, read 15,151 times
Default Visiting Barrow in early June

I'm going to be in Barrow for 4days/3nights in early June. Originally I planned a packaged overnight trip, but the more I heard about Barrow, I extended the time and just got my airfare and hotel room separate.

I'm not worried about food (and, I've been warned it's expensive) as I've seen the list of restaurants available. I'm not worried about alcohol either as I'm not a big drinker and shortly after I leave Barrow I'll get on a cruise ship where I can get all the adult beverages I want.

I know I can book tours when I get there - but, can any of you that live in Barrow suggest something really out of the ordinary? Something that most tourists don't get to see when they visit?

I'm travelling solo so I just need to worry about me. No traveling companion to worry about that might have conflicting ideas about what to see and do.

Old 05-11-2008, 07:22 PM

3,539 posts, read 6,560,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLM2 View Post
I'm going to be in Barrow for 4days/3nights in early June. Originally I planned a packaged overnight trip, but the more I heard about Barrow, I extended the time and just got my airfare and hotel room separate.
You are way smarter than the average tourist!
Quote:
I'm not worried about food (and, I've been warned it's expensive) as I've seen the list of restaurants available. I'm not worried about alcohol either as I'm not a big drinker and shortly after I leave Barrow I'll get on a cruise ship where I can get all the adult beverages I want.
Well, let me put some perspective on food... mostly because eating here, while expensive, is just as much an adventure as everything else.

Breakfast: Pepe's is okay, but Sam & Lee's is the best and cost the least. Pepe's is quiet though. If you want quiet at Sam & Lee's, go upstairs. If you want to see some of the locals and learn something, stay downstairs. You can have breakfast at Osaka too, but... (and the other joints don't open for breakfast).

Lunch is pretty much the same, except every place in town is open. Brower's Cafe and Northern Lights are both okay for lunch too. (I personally do not eat at Terriaki House/Shogun or at Arctic Pizza, ever.)

All of the above is still the same for dinner. The one catch is that Sam & Lee's stays open until 2AM (the others close at 10 or 11), and doesn't mind if you sit and drink coffee for a couple hours. It is also the only restaurant in town where you can get WIFI access, though you have to ask about it.

My recommendation would be to eat just about every other meal at Sam & Lee's, and every other one at one of the others.

Quote:
I know I can book tours when I get there - but, can any of you that live in Barrow suggest something really out of the ordinary? Something that most tourists don't get to see when they visit?
Two that you don't want to miss.

One is a trip out to the point and a bit beyond, looking for Polar Bears. The chances you'll actually see one are almost none, but it could happen; and even if you don't you'll see something of interest. I don't know what it cost, but is probably something between $75-150 per person. Call Daniel Lum at 907-878-5883 for details and a reservation. And you very specifically do want to tell him that I recommended you call him!

The other thing you do not want to miss is Joe the Waterman's museum. The trick to that is pretty easy. First, you have to tell me when you're going to do it, and I'll go with you (and take pictures). But the way to schedule it is to go to Pepe's for dinner at about 8 or 9 PM, with the idea in mind that at 10:30 Joe will be done working (Joe is the skinny guy about 50 years old who runs the joint for his mother, Fran Tate) and will walk across the road and give you a tour. There is no set price, he will not mention it at all, but there is a dish in very plain sight with some money in it, and he would definitely appreciate if there is more when you leave than there was when you arrived.

Okay... there sometimes is a third thing to do. You'd want to find some retired old fart who has a vehicle, time on his hands, likes to show off Barrow, and has a camera. That ROF will take you out this road and out that road, drive all over town visiting various things... and stop at Sam & Lee's for coffee twice a day. (I'm in the phone book, or just stop by Sam & Lee's and ask about me.)

Quote:
I'm travelling solo so I just need to worry about me. No traveling companion to worry about that might have conflicting ideas about what to see and do.
Early June... will likely be when the water from melting snow is at its peak. It is after whaling (May) and before Nalukataq (starts about June 20th). There will be some snow left, maybe, some birds here already, it will likely be in the mid-30's to mid-40's (on a hot day), and the wind will blow 12 mph from the east! It is very unlikely that you'll see any rain, and there is a fair chance you'll see a little snow come down. The sun will not set until you get on the airplane and leave.

Old 05-11-2008, 09:57 PM

3 posts, read 15,151 times
Default Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd_Davidson View Post
Two that you don't want to miss.

One is a trip out to the point and a bit beyond, looking for Polar Bears. The chances you'll actually see one are almost none, but it could happen; and even if you don't you'll see something of interest. I don't know what it cost, but is probably something between $75-150 per person. Call Daniel Lum at 907-878-5883 for details and a reservation. And you very specifically do want to tell him that I recommended you call him!

The other thing you do not want to miss is Joe the Waterman's museum. The trick to that is pretty easy. First, you have to tell me when you're going to do it, and I'll go with you (and take pictures). But the way to schedule it is to go to Pepe's for dinner at about 8 or 9 PM, with the idea in mind that at 10:30 Joe will be done working (Joe is the skinny guy about 50 years old who runs the joint for his mother, Fran Tate) and will walk across the road and give you a tour. There is no set price, he will not mention it at all, but there is a dish in very plain sight with some money in it, and he would definitely appreciate if there is more when you leave than there was when you arrived.

Okay... there sometimes is a third thing to do. You'd want to find some retired old fart who has a vehicle, time on his hands, likes to show off Barrow, and has a camera. That ROF will take you out this road and out that road, drive all over town visiting various things... and stop at Sam & Lee's for coffee twice a day. (I'm in the phone book, or just stop by Sam & Lee's and ask about me.)

The sun will not set until you get on the airplane and leave.
So that's what "ROF" means.
Thank you. What a generous offer. I will definately seek you out when I get there.

I've read "Tacos on the Tundra" and I had heard that Joe the Waterman had a museum in his home. I'm glad to hear the trick to seeing it. I will definately need to bring a photographer along.

I'm excited about the prospect of not seeing a sunset/sunrise for several days.

I can't imagine that I'll be lucky enough to see a polar bear. I think that would really be expecting way too much. Last June I went to China and volunteered at the Wolong Panda Reserve for a day. I got to help take care of two pregnant mamas and got to play with eight 1 1/2 year olds. That was a thrill of a lifetime. But, I have no desire to get that close to a polar bear or cubs - as that, most likely, would be the END of a lifetime!

I do like to bring special treats for hotel/housekeeping staff* and little kids that I meet. Is there anything special that you can recommend that would be appreciated? I realize that you can get most anything in Barrow - but, the expense might make somethings more of a luxury than someone from the lower 48 would ordinarily think of.

*These special treats are in addition to, not in lieu of a tip - I'm not a cheap person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska