U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-04-2020, 08:02 AM
 
59 posts, read 51,599 times
Reputation: 156

Advertisements

My wife and I are planning a summer vacation for next year. We've never been to Alaska and would like to spend a month or so there (we are retired). Any suggestions on a nice place in Alaska to spend most of the summer? Thank you for your time.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-04-2020, 10:34 AM
 
Location: Anchorage
845 posts, read 463,169 times
Reputation: 2126
That's a pretty wide open question. What is it about Alaska that interests you?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-04-2020, 01:16 PM
 
Location: on the wind
12,920 posts, read 6,444,509 times
Reputation: 42485
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northrick View Post
That's a pretty wide open question. What is it about Alaska that interests you?
THIS! Alaska is a huge, diverse place! What Ketchikan offers is very different than what Nome does. If you want proximity to "civilization" (museums, shopping, a variety of more conventional attractions) you wouldn't want to pick Adak (nothing against Adak...but it will appeal to a select group of visitors). If you want to rent a car and do some road touring you wouldn't want to pick Juneau. Photograph the aurora borealis? Don't come in midsummer...you won't even see it. Big mountain and glacier flightseeing? Barrow (pardon me...Utqiagvik) wouldn't offer that. Salmon fishing, boating, and marine wildlife viewing? Watch caribou migration or brown bears catching salmon? On and on. Why don't you spend some effort reading about the state and prioritize what you'd most like to do or see? Then focus your search to the areas that offer those opportunities and when during your two months would be best.

Last edited by Parnassia; 10-04-2020 at 02:27 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-04-2020, 01:25 PM
 
Location: Wasilla, AK
2,692 posts, read 4,581,145 times
Reputation: 2260
I wouldn't spend the whole month in one place. If it was me and I was looking for scenic sights, some relaxing and some fun; I would take a couple days to get to Valdez and spend the rest of the week there. Then a couple of days to Denali National Park and the rest of the week there. Then two or three days getting to Seward and the rest of the week there. And then maybe Homer for the rest of the time? Maybe I'd throw a couple of days in Whittier/Girdwood/Portage in there too?
It sounds like you'd benefit from ordering a copy of www.TheMilepost.com to help with your trip planning.
I'd also spend some time on the TripAdvisor forum for Alaska: https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowForu...49-Alaska.html
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-04-2020, 04:57 PM
 
59 posts, read 51,599 times
Reputation: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
THIS! Alaska is a huge, diverse place! What Ketchikan offers is very different than what Nome does. If you want proximity to "civilization" (museums, shopping, a variety of more conventional attractions) you wouldn't want to pick Adak (nothing against Adak...but it will appeal to a select group of visitors). If you want to rent a car and do some road touring you wouldn't want to pick Juneau. Photograph the aurora borealis? Don't come in midsummer...you won't even see it. Big mountain and glacier flightseeing? Barrow (pardon me...Utqiagvik) wouldn't offer that. Salmon fishing, boating, and marine wildlife viewing? Watch caribou migration or brown bears catching salmon? On and on. Why don't you spend some effort reading about the state and prioritize what you'd most like to do or see? Then focus your search to the areas that offer those opportunities and when during your two months would be best.
Sound advice. Thank you.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-04-2020, 04:59 PM
 
59 posts, read 51,599 times
Reputation: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKStafford View Post
I wouldn't spend the whole month in one place. If it was me and I was looking for scenic sights, some relaxing and some fun; I would take a couple days to get to Valdez and spend the rest of the week there. Then a couple of days to Denali National Park and the rest of the week there. Then two or three days getting to Seward and the rest of the week there. And then maybe Homer for the rest of the time? Maybe I'd throw a couple of days in Whittier/Girdwood/Portage in there too?
It sounds like you'd benefit from ordering a copy of www.TheMilepost.com to help with your trip planning.
I'd also spend some time on the TripAdvisor forum for Alaska: https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowForu...49-Alaska.html

Very valuable. Good stuff. Thank you.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-06-2020, 09:50 AM
 
Location: NW Nevada - and the world
716 posts, read 251,703 times
Reputation: 869
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKStafford View Post
I wouldn't spend the whole month in one place. If it was me and I was looking for scenic sights, some relaxing and some fun; I would take a couple days to get to Valdez and spend the rest of the week there. Then a couple of days to Denali National Park and the rest of the week there. Then two or three days getting to Seward and the rest of the week there. And then maybe Homer for the rest of the time? Maybe I'd throw a couple of days in Whittier/Girdwood/Portage in there too?
It sounds like you'd benefit from ordering a copy of www.TheMilepost.com to help with your trip planning.
I'd also spend some time on the TripAdvisor forum for Alaska: https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowForu...49-Alaska.html
On the other hand, my advice is don't do what many people do and try to see too darn much, and spend your time driving instead of enjoying. Pick a smaller region and tour around, instead of trying to see everything from Chicken down to Seward. If you visited, say, Tennessee for the first time would you do an auto tour from Kingsport to Memphis?

You could easily spend a fun and interesting month starting in Anchorage with the museums with the rest around the Kenai Peninsula.

Last edited by alaskaflyer; 10-06-2020 at 10:03 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-13-2020, 12:08 AM
 
3 posts, read 4,031 times
Reputation: 15
Spend it in the bush.

raw Alaska bush.

I mean there isnt a city in the country left that isnt messed up with fast food joints and strip malls and tourism.

fly to Fairbanks and THEN bush plane TO anywhere north of the yukon and be FREEEEEEEEEEE.

Last edited by Rance; 10-13-2020 at 11:58 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-13-2020, 06:36 PM
 
Location: Not far from Fairbanks, AK
17,470 posts, read 31,186,840 times
Reputation: 13600
If you have the money, Rent an RV in Anchorage and drive to Seward other places on the Kenai Peninsula. Take about a one 1.5 week or so traveling that way. Return to Anchorage and rest for a day or two, then drive the Glenn Highway to Glennallen stopping here and there to take photos and to rest. From Glennallen's gas station at the intersection, and after resting an filling the gas tank, make a right on the Richardson Highway, and go to Valdez; spend about 4-5 days around Valdez (remember to stop along the way to take photos and to rest.

From Valdez, travel the Richardson Highway, pass Glennallen-after filling the tank once more, and continue toward Delta Junction. Spend two of tree days along the way, since the scenery is quite beautiful, and if lucky, you will see some wildlife. Refuel at Delta Junction, and also stop by the supermarket should you need more groceries and things like that, and continue on the Richardson toward Fairbanks (spend one to three days doing this). In Fairbanks, go to the Morris Thompson Cultural & Visitor's Center and spend a couple of hours (watch the videos).

From Fairbanks, travel the Parks Highway toward Anchorage. Stop by the Denali park and spend a few days around there, then continue to Anchorage to the RV rental place, spend some time in Anchorage, and then fly back to your home.

Remember to make reservations for the RV, hotels, and Denali park if you plan to take the tour bus at the park.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-15-2020, 10:31 AM
 
Location: Yadaa.at Kale
6,578 posts, read 3,352,648 times
Reputation: 8403
Probably the best bet would be to aim for Kenai peninsula/Anchorage to Glenn Highway etc. as mentioned above.

Haines, Juneau and Sitka are nice places in SE if the weather is cooperative. Some retirees bring RVs into campgrounds at Haines or Juneau and just hang out for weeks on end.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top