U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-04-2008, 12:06 AM
 
Location: Wasilla
1,331 posts, read 2,634,905 times
Reputation: 348

Advertisements

Well, we're flying into Anchorage next weekend. Does anybody have some good tips on house-hunting? We've no strangers to buying a house but are fully cognizant of the fact that Alaska may be just a weee bit different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-04-2008, 01:43 AM
 
Location: Bethel, Alaska
21,363 posts, read 33,058,512 times
Reputation: 13770
House hunting. They're banning lead shot now. You'll have to try practicing with steel shot. Shooting steel is a bit different that shooting lead. With lead shot you had to lead the house a little bit because the lead was so heavy. Now with the lightness of steel and how fast it gets there, you don't lead them as much. The second you have the house blotted out with the barrel, you shoot. You should be able to knock the house down that way. If you miss the first few times, nothing like practice which makes perfect! Good luck on the hunt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2008, 01:44 AM
 
Location: Bethel, Alaska
21,363 posts, read 33,058,512 times
Reputation: 13770
Wait, thats duck hunting. Nevermind.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2008, 01:48 AM
 
Location: Wasilla
1,331 posts, read 2,634,905 times
Reputation: 348
Good one warpt, good one. I guess that wonderful spring weather in Bethel has your head spinning a bit eh?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2008, 02:04 AM
 
Location: Bethel, Alaska
21,363 posts, read 33,058,512 times
Reputation: 13770
Actually, I'm in Anchorage bored off my ass. I'm leaving to London on Monday night. I figure I'd fly here for the weekend to relax with a few friends, and the bastards changed their phone numbers. So here I am on a Saturday night doing absolutely nothing. I went driving around, that got old. I hate the traffic here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2008, 02:07 AM
 
Location: South Dakota
4,137 posts, read 7,983,045 times
Reputation: 1914
The traffic in Anchorage thoroughly intimidated me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2008, 02:07 AM
 
Location: Wasilla
1,331 posts, read 2,634,905 times
Reputation: 348
Quote:
Originally Posted by warptman View Post
Actually, I'm in Anchorage bored off my ass. I'm leaving to London on Monday night. I figure I'd fly here for the weekend to relax with a few friends, and the bastards changed their phone numbers. So here I am on a Saturday night doing absolutely nothing. I went driving around, that got old. I hate the traffic here.
Traffic brother? I'm looking FORWARD to Anchorage traffic given the crap I have to deal with around here. But, when one is used to sparsely traveled roadways, I can understand your dismay.

Wow, London huh? That sounds very, very interesting. Have fun!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2008, 02:19 AM
 
Location: Jacksonville, Fl
1,280 posts, read 1,437,462 times
Reputation: 2495
Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic Satch View Post
Well, we're flying into Anchorage next weekend. Does anybody have some good tips on house-hunting? We've no strangers to buying a house but are fully cognizant of the fact that Alaska may be just a weee bit different.

Where exactly you planing to hunt? Best thing I can recommend is to find a very good agent willing to show you lots of homes. Anchorage is about like any small city as for hunting. Certain areas, certain house types will almost always yield similar pricing. In the MatSu Valley, it is a little more challenging as their is such a wide range of pricing and house types. Prices are fairly stable in Alaska too, not many repos here like the rest of the country. I just sold my home about 2 months ago. Sold it in under a week. So if you find something that seems like a good deal and you really like it, don't wait as other buyers might feel the same way right behind you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2008, 02:26 AM
 
Location: Wasilla
1,331 posts, read 2,634,905 times
Reputation: 348
Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskaboy View Post
Where exactly you planing to hunt? Best thing I can recommend is to find a very good agent willing to show you lots of homes. Anchorage is about like any small city as for hunting. Certain areas, certain house types will almost always yield similar pricing. In the MatSu Valley, it is a little more challenging as their is such a wide range of pricing and house types. Prices are fairly stable in Alaska too, not many repos here like the rest of the country. I just sold my home about 2 months ago. Sold it in under a week. So if you find something that seems like a good deal and you really like it, don't wait as other buyers might feel the same way right behind you.
Our target area is MatSu and we've been in contact with an agent for about 2 months. However, I've been doing extensive research and the trend towards a "buyer's market" seems to have hit Alaska as well. It isn't anywhere near the disaster that is Detroit or Sacramento but tightening credit standards and the overall real estate situation have pretty much impacted the entire nation, with exceptions of course.

I just can't wait to get the hell out of this insane and overpopulated asylum better known as "California." It will be quite a relief to exit a state where a significant portion of the population doesn't speak English and has the chutzpah to expect you to speak theirs.

Last edited by Classic Satch; 05-04-2008 at 02:44 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2008, 03:44 AM
 
Location: NC, USA
7,088 posts, read 13,051,388 times
Reputation: 3984
Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic Satch View Post
Our target area is MatSu and we've been in contact with an agent for about 2 months. However, I've been doing extensive research and the trend towards a "buyer's market" seems to have hit Alaska as well. It isn't anywhere near the disaster that is Detroit or Sacramento but tightening credit standards and the overall real estate situation have pretty much impacted the entire nation, with exceptions of course.

I just can't wait to get the hell out of this insane and overpopulated asylum better known as "California." It will be quite a relief to exit a state where a significant portion of the population doesn't speak English and has the chutzpah to expect you to speak theirs.
Hummmm, interesting, don't know that I would have used the word "chutzpah" while complaining of other languages expecting you to know their terms instead of using the AmEnglish term "nerve"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:06 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top