Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2008, 04:59 AM

7,084 posts, read 14,805,707 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobolt View Post
My ex was a legal resident but had yet to earn his citizenship. As a legal resident, you are paying into the SS system but that amount is not going towards your entitlement. That doesn't start until you are an acutal citizen.

As for the immigrant student population, I was torn in the sense that there was a different mentality even between the legals and the illegals. Now I will say that immigrant students, for the most part, worked much harder at academics than their American born counterparts. It's almost like the Americans took things for granted and felt entitled whereas the immigrant kids were thirsting for knowledge. Yet whereas the legal kids had a respect for the law, alot of the illegal kids had this "I got over on the system" attitude and it seemed to bleed over to their approach towards schoolwork, work ethic etc. I really heard some horrific stories from these kids.
I would feel hypocritical if I condemned a group of people for coming to this country for the same reasons my family did 300 years ago. My ancestors were searching for a better life and were not afraid to work to earn it, the same drive I see in a lot of Hispanics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2008, 11:19 AM

959 posts, read 2,353,421 times
Again, I haven't seen anyone here who has professed a problem with LEGAL immigrants.

And I realize that our system and way of dealing with immigration is at fault, but the government has been pushed, time and time again, by liberals to allow for more immigration, more welfare assistance, and less border control. Almost every time a stiff measure of control, or immigration "cap" has been proposed, cries of "racism" have been front-page, top story news.

Apparently, these people wield more power over government and Congress than they should.

Old 05-09-2008, 11:30 AM

3,539 posts, read 7,610,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskagrl View Post
Again, I haven't seen anyone here who has professed a problem with LEGAL immigrants.
I haven't seen anyone profess to being able to distinquish between a legal immigrant and an illegal one; yet virtually everyone has indicated that more or less they view every Mexican as suspect, to say the least.

They act and sound as if all Hispanics are on welfare. They act and sound as if all of them are thieves, taking what isn't rightfully theirs if they use any of the social welfare or other systems we have in place.

It looks and sounds and smells just an awful lot like racist bigotry to me.

Old 05-09-2008, 12:13 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,674,166 times
You should see some of the posts in the immigration forum. Talk about brainwashed and racist. And most of them clan up and attack anyone that has something good to say. Very similar to a klu klux klan mentality. It's really pathetic.

Old 05-09-2008, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd_Davidson View Post
I haven't seen anyone profess to being able to distinquish between a legal immigrant and an illegal one; yet virtually everyone has indicated that more or less they view every Mexican as suspect, to say the least.

They act and sound as if all Hispanics are on welfare. They act and sound as if all of them are thieves, taking what isn't rightfully theirs if they use any of the social welfare or other systems we have in place.

It looks and sounds and smells just an awful lot like racist bigotry to me.
Legal vs. illegal--pretty easy to know the difference here. Really simple; one party came in with the proper documents, pledged allegiance to America, could speak at least a little English, and had some kind of skill that they could use to earn money. Illegal--none of the above, and may be a hardened criminal, to boot.

And, for hardworking folks that are trying to raise a family; I, for one, have no problem if they need to have some assistance for a relatively short period of time--THAT would be a functional welfare system, which we don't have right now.
Nothing racist or bigot about that...what I've said above could apply to ANY ethnicity of legal/illegal immigrant.

Old 05-09-2008, 12:42 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,517,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rance View Post
You should see some of the posts in the immigration forum. Talk about brainwashed and racist. And most of them clan up and attack anyone that has something good to say. Very similar to a klu klux klan mentality. It's really pathetic.
Oh yeah, I'm totally familiar w/that forum, I've been on it & posted things recently & jesus does the **** hit the fan when I do!! There's nothing but evil going on w/those people, I don't know how they live w/themselves.

Old 05-09-2008, 12:45 PM

I really hope you are not lumping me in with them, because nothing could be farther from the truth.

Old 05-09-2008, 12:48 PM

3,539 posts, read 7,610,609 times
Quote:
Legal vs. illegal--pretty easy to know the difference here. Really simple; one party came in with the proper documents, pledged allegiance to America, could speak at least a little English, and had some kind of skill that they could use to earn money. Illegal--none of the above, and may be a hardened criminal, to boot.

And, for hardworking folks that are trying to raise a family; I, for one, have no problem if they need to have some assistance for a relatively short period of time--THAT would be a functional welfare system, which we don't have right now.
Nothing racist or bigot about that...what I've said above could apply to ANY ethnicity of legal/illegal immigrant.
Okay, so tell me how many of those you've seen in the past week,
or the past month or even in the past year? I haven't seen even one person that looked like what you described.

Old 05-09-2008, 01:03 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,517,333 times
Quote:
I really hope you are not lumping me in with them, because nothing could be farther from the truth.
No, not yet

Old 05-09-2008, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd_Davidson View Post
Okay, so tell me how many of those you've seen in the past week,
or the past month or even in the past year? I haven't seen even one person that looked like what you described.
Well, it's pretty hard to tell by LOOKS whether someone's gone through legal immigration process or not! Even I'm not that brilliant!

Seriously, I think what many people base their argument on is the fact that SO MANY illegals are now in the media, especially when they commit crimes, are issued valid drivers licenses, etc. Some of us just can't believe that so many illegals are here, and are receiving assistance and other benefits without proving citizenship. And what really irks us is when "sanctuary cities" actually do their best to protect them from deportation.

Personally, I don't feel affected by this up here in AK...but my family back in MN is seeing the effects, and I do care about the issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska