U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 07:27 PM

16,972 posts, read 22,295,143 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossfire600 View Post
Is there some local ideology that we are missing here?
I thought it might be different in the more "civilized" (not a positive term to me) areas like Juneau or such (apparently not), but I thought I was a bad pack rat and unorganized (as in stuff not exactly put away right away...), but a lot of people in the Interior/Northern parts of the state have me beat well. Not that it bothers me (the trees hide it anyways where I was), personally, I see being able to be a bit untidy in the yard and such as a sign that there's some freedom, from the oppressive HOA's and such that are all over the US. No one writing you a ticket if you leave something in the yard 5 minutes. Let the junk pile up! Some might disagree with my feelings though.

If a property is nice though and the junk will be picked up before you move in, don't let it stop you. Just be sure the important stuff is in good shape, messes can be cleaned...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2008, 08:17 PM

11,836 posts, read 25,491,928 times
I have a neighbor in back of me that has 20 cars in his driveway at any given time. My fence hides most of the mess & he's been a lot better about not testing engines after 11pm. We don't have an HOA in our little corner of the lower 48 & I think that they suck. Way too regimented & controlling for my tastes.

Old 05-07-2008, 09:01 PM

2,628 posts, read 6,131,352 times
Quote:
Xa'at and all -
This is Crossfire600's wife.....Thank-you so much for your answers, you guys have been great! We will definitely check out the links. We are planning our trip up in January to look-see at houses, talk to employers, etc. Also going to check out some community activities we enjoy while there.

Then the plan is to move up a few months after that. We've got less than 1 year and counting down. I know when we step off the plane in January, we'll know if it "feels right." You might say January is a goofy time to make our trip, but I did 15 months on Adak in the Navy and I regret all the opportunity I didn't enjoy when I was there. Too young and immature at the time. If the snow isn't blowing sideways at 40 miles an hour, I'll call it a nice day.
Thanks again for everyones input!!!!
Dawn
Hi Dawn-
I'm going to respectfully disagree with what people have told you, then- I think January is the perfect time to come! It's quiet, everyone's sort of settled in for the winter, the legislators haven't arrived yet. Plus, there's the weather factor- visiting in January you won't get the "I didn't expect it to be so cold!" syndrome because you'll see us in the coldest month! I personally also think it's the most beautiful time- lots of days like this one:

Feel free to pop me an e-mail or pm if you have any questions. You folks seem like the type who will make excellent additions to our community, and I want you to feel at home so you'll stick around!
Have a great weekend, now, and happy mothers day.

Old 05-08-2008, 01:43 AM

1,121 posts, read 4,036,830 times
Default unwarranted optimism

I think you're experiencing a combination of lazy real-estate agents, overscheduled/naturally slovenly homeowners, and unwarranted optimism as to the strength of Juneaus real estate market. As has been pointed out, when it's a sellers market (or if they think it still is, anyway), why fix anything you don't have to? Add that to the natural tendency of long-time Alaskans to packrat anything and everything (shipping costs a lot and takes forever, you might just need a part in a hurry some day) and you can get some pretty cluttered properties.

There's really no excuse to be looking at someones dirty laundry or a sink full of dishes, but some listings are probably more about trolling for full-price offers than really selling the place. If they're serious enough, they'll eventually listen to their agents suggestions and clean the place up...or not. You might be looking at places that are currently rented and up for sale, in which case it's probably only going to look worse when the renters move out.

On the positive side, if you're house shopping in January, ALL the yards will look great since most of the junk and all of the trash will still be hidden under a thick coating of pure, white snow. It'll be like a scavengers hunt come spring, you never know what you'll find out there.

Old 05-08-2008, 06:08 AM

6,352 posts, read 4,378,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorhead View Post
I think you're experiencing a combination of lazy real-estate agents, overscheduled/naturally slovenly homeowners, and unwarranted optimism as to the strength of Juneaus real estate market. As has been pointed out, when it's a sellers market (or if they think it still is, anyway), why fix anything you don't have to? Add that to the natural tendency of long-time Alaskans to packrat anything and everything (shipping costs a lot and takes forever, you might just need a part in a hurry some day) and you can get some pretty cluttered properties.

There's really no excuse to be looking at someones dirty laundry or a sink full of dishes, but some listings are probably more about trolling for full-price offers than really selling the place. If they're serious enough, they'll eventually listen to their agents suggestions and clean the place up...or not. You might be looking at places that are currently rented and up for sale, in which case it's probably only going to look worse when the renters move out.

On the positive side, if you're house shopping in January, ALL the yards will look great since most of the junk and all of the trash will still be hidden under a thick coating of pure, white snow. It'll be like a scavengers hunt come spring, you never know what you'll find out there.
ROTFLAMO!!! That's a howl! I just love scavenger hunting...

We spent some time looking again last night. The price of homes is so inconsistent it is shocking. We own our home here and have been through the buyers end of the market so we are not new to this. I realize tha different area's demand different prices, bedrooms, view bla bla..

But, some of these homes are sooooooo far apart in price. One home we looked at was a trailer from what looked to be the 1950's with a hastily made roof on for $199,000... ROFLMAO!!!! Then the next listing down was a newer 3 bed 2 bath home that was clean and very nice for $241,000.. Humm

Oh, well...time to move on and quit complaining. It is what it is...

Old 05-08-2008, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xa'at View Post
Hi Dawn-
You folks seem like the type who will make excellent additions to our community, and I want you to feel at home so you'll stick around!
Have a great weekend, now, and happy mothers day.
Hey Xa'at,

Trust me she is a super person.. my bestest friend in the whole wide world and the fact that she is my wife also makes me the luckiest fella in the whole wide world.. Just don't know what I would be without her

Old 05-08-2008, 08:42 AM

2,518 posts, read 6,029,534 times
Quote:
ROTFLAMO!!! That's a howl! I just love scavenger hunting...

We spent some time looking again last night. The price of homes is so inconsistent it is shocking. We own our home here and have been through the buyers end of the market so we are not new to this. I realize tha different area's demand different prices, bedrooms, view bla bla..

But, some of these homes are sooooooo far apart in price. One home we looked at was a trailer from what looked to be the 1950's with a hastily made roof on for $199,000... ROFLMAO!!!! Then the next listing down was a newer 3 bed 2 bath home that was clean and very nice for $241,000.. Humm

Oh, well...time to move on and quit complaining. It is what it is...
I have lived 54 years in Alaska...and still haven't been to Juneau. BUT, it is likely similar to most places in Alaska, real estate wise. And it's similar to most places anywhere...it's all about location.

A run down trailer that is 40 years old becomes worth more than a new 3000 square foot house if it happens to be located on a lot worth $20 a square foot. Who knew that lot would be worth so much when they moved the trailer on it 40 years ago?

It is extremely hard to keep yourself from pre-judging properties from a distance. But you have to just keep all your options open. Try as hard as you can to keep an open mind and don't throw out options before you arrive.

Get a Realtor that is experienced, by that I mean someone who actually does a decent amount of transactions, not someone who has just been in the business for 20 years. Most Realtors average less than 5 transactions a year, you don't want someone like that.

If you aren't already hooked up with someone, you might try Debbie White. (http://www.isellalaska.com/Nav.aspx/Page=/Forms/ContactForm.aspx - broken link)
I have never met her, but have communicated via email with her a few times over the years about mutual clients. She seems to know what she is doing.

Old 05-08-2008, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Van Diest View Post
I have lived 54 years in Alaska...and still haven't been to Juneau. BUT, it is likely similar to most places in Alaska, real estate wise. And it's similar to most places anywhere...it's all about location.

A run down trailer that is 40 years old becomes worth more than a new 3000 square foot house if it happens to be located on a lot worth $20 a square foot. Who knew that lot would be worth so much when they moved the trailer on it 40 years ago?

It is extremely hard to keep yourself from pre-judging properties from a distance. But you have to just keep all your options open. Try as hard as you can to keep an open mind and don't throw out options before you arrive.

Get a Realtor that is experienced, by that I mean someone who actually does a decent amount of transactions, not someone who has just been in the business for 20 years. Most Realtors average less than 5 transactions a year, you don't want someone like that.

If you aren't already hooked up with someone, you might try Debbie White. (http://www.isellalaska.com/Nav.aspx/Page=/Forms/ContactForm.aspx - broken link)
I have never met her, but have communicated via email with her a few times over the years about mutual clients. She seems to know what she is doing.
Sound advice! Since we do not know the area it does make it difficult if not impossible to determine the value of the location.

We are already working with Debbie, she was the only one to answer our emails. Since then we have talked on the phone and emailed back and forth. There were several other agents from Re/Max that we emailed and never heard anything back from. One was a Larry Telfer.. we emailed him first and he never replied. Apparently he must represent to many people or has sold enough homes that he doesn't need to sell anymore..

Last edited by Crossfire600; 05-08-2008 at 09:58 AM..

Old 05-08-2008, 08:53 AM

11,836 posts, read 25,491,928 times
Would it be right to think that with the impending rise in electrical bills that Juneau would now be a buyers' market?

Old 05-08-2008, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
Would it be right to think that with the impending rise in electrical bills that Juneau would now be a buyers' market?
Wishful thinking, now if the rates stay high then I would think that would be a bad thing for the market..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska