Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 10:24 AM

15,603 posts, read 39,823,601 times

Advertisements

Yes you should feel special. It wasn't too long ago members could give negative reps. Which took away points and left little red boxes. I am proud to say I have one! But some got way out of hand with those so they've done away with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2008, 10:43 AM

10,503 posts, read 15,563,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rance View Post
Yes you should feel special. It wasn't too long ago members could give negative reps. Which took away points and left little red boxes. I am proud to say I have one! But some got way out of hand with those so they've done away with it.
Well they can't get rid of me that easily, I just posted another one on the gay marriage forum

Old 05-12-2008, 11:07 AM

11,839 posts, read 28,951,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
Well they can't get rid of me that easily, I just posted another one on the gay marriage forum
Give us some links!

Old 05-12-2008, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
Give us some links!
city-data.com/forum/politics-other-controversies/257763-what-s-wrong-gay-marriage-74.html - of course I got expected responses-so droll

Old 05-12-2008, 11:29 AM

http://www.city-data.com/forum/polit...rriage-74.html
wait, this is easier to just click on

Old 05-12-2008, 01:20 PM

2,628 posts, read 6,887,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xa'at View Post
10 Reasons why Legalizing Gay Marriage Will Ruin Society
  1. Being gay is not natural. Real Americansâ„¢ always reject unnatural things like eyeglasses, polyester, and air conditioning.
  2. Gay marriage will encourage people to be gay, in the same way that hanging around tall people will make you tall.
  3. Legalizing gay marriage will open the door to all kinds of crazy behavior. People may even wish to marry their pets because a dog has legal standing and can sign a marriage contract.
  4. Straight marriage has been around a long time and hasn’t changed at all; women are still property, blacks still can’t marry whites, and divorce is still illegal.
  5. Straight marriage will be less meaningful if gay marriage were allowed; the sanctity of Britany Spears’ 55-hour just-for-fun marriage would be destroyed.
  6. Straight marriages are valid because they produce children. Gay couples, infertile couples, and old people shouldn’t be allowed to marry because our orphanages aren’t full yet, and the world needs more children.
  7. Obviously gay parents will raise gay children, since straight parents only raise straight children.
  8. Gay marriage is not supported by religion. In a theocracy like ours, the values of one religion are imposed on the entire country. That’s why we have only one religion in America.
  9. Children can never succeed without a male and a female role model at home. That’s why we as a society expressly forbid single parents to raise children.
  10. Gay marriage will change the foundation of society; we could never adapt to new social norms. Just like we haven’t adapted to cars, the service-sector economy, or longer life spans.
I'm sorry that there is such rampant homophobia in our country. It makes me deeply sad to see such closed-mindedness and bigotry in this land I used to believe was so great. It also makes me sad to know that there are people out there who actually believe that I should conform to their ideologies and morals for no reason other than the fact that they are currently in power. Do believe me when I say I have great pity for homophobes- I cannot imagine what it must be like to be so conflicted.
Oh man, I thought you guys were gonna keep me from wreaking havoc on those forums...?!

Old 05-12-2008, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xa'at View Post
Oh man, I thought you guys were gonna keep me from wreaking havoc on those forums...?!
Xa'at have you told them that you're running for president yet?

Old 05-12-2008, 03:01 PM

959 posts, read 2,360,851 times
Gee, I musta said something you guys liked...I hoped that would happen eventually!!

Oh by the way...our store FINALLY got some Pinot Noir in...a flavor of wine perhaps too refined for the average Alaskan, as they've never carried it before

The more spendy stuff was pretty darn good, I must say, as I indulged on Friday evening. The other variety had a screw-top cap, so I shunned it. I gotta join a wine-of-the-month club or something. It would be something to look forward to!

Old 05-12-2008, 03:08 PM

There's a white dessert wine called Quandry Electra. Its around $20 a bottle, for a full size bottle. The cruise lines sell it for $13 for a 375ml bottle.
Its very tasty.

Here's something for your next foray into the pit.

ProCon.org - Pros and Cons of Controversial Issues

Old 05-12-2008, 03:26 PM

959 posts, read 2,360,851 times
My favorite issues to debate about are alternative energy and gun rights, as well as some other stuff here and there.

There are some frickin' CRAZY people in there, on both sides of the coin, aren't there?? Holy crap! I usually get out of the convo before it goes really Twilight Zone.

Thanks for the good website but their whole nuclear/alt energy link says "archived--no new info since 1988." Other stuff looks great, though.

I gotta get on the stick and find some new (and relatively non-biased, if possible) sources of information about solar, wind, nuclear, and geo-thermal technology, for my own info..not just debate fodder. I think some of my technical knowledge is probably pretty outdated.

However, I follow such projects/proposals pretty closely here in Alaska. If you come across anything in this realm, shoot me a PM if you think about it. Thanks.

--KT
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska