Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2008, 11:42 AM

395 posts, read 1,717,047 times

Advertisements

I vote for towing the second vehicle if either one is capable of towing the other and is partially towing equipped. Many large American PU and SUV already have a receiver for towing. Even w/fuel prices at this level, towing is less expensive than shipping.
Yes, your other choice of selling one is fine but, finding an equivalent value vehicle up there, in my opinion, do not pencil out vs the extra cost of equipping for towing and the extra fuel. Unless, of course, U are putting in a Rollie type tow bar. One of the reason for selling is the vehicles in question is they are dated and due for a replacement anyway. At your age, I am willing to bet you've already accumulated a lot of keepsakes you are reluctant to part with. That Toad can act like a trailer, within weght limits, of course.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2008, 12:51 PM

6,424 posts, read 13,246,280 times
We're heading up in a couple of month ourselves from MI. We originally were going to drive all the way up the Alcan. We have sense changed our minds and decided to bypass Canada and take the ferry up from Bellingham. We're taking 2 cars, one pulling a cargo trailer with our stuff.

I just got 2 quotes from shippers out of Seattle, Northland Services and Alaska Marine Lines. They were both much higher in cost than the ferry to carry our trailer and one car. So, we're sticking to just the ferry.

Old 05-23-2008, 05:16 PM

4,731 posts, read 9,946,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magoon View Post
Also, if you have an address before you go up, it is very reasonable to mail stuff to yourself. The Postal Service, at least from where I am, is way cheaper than UPS or FEDEX. If you don't have an address yet, you can always leave the boxes with some reliable person :-)
The UPS Store and FedEx Kinko mail centers local to you may also allow you to "remotely" purchase a "mailbox" in AK (if your destination or nearby town has one). That way you have an address to mail stuff to and forward your home mail to before you even get there... and those locations are licensed, insured and bonded so you have a good chance that your stuff wouldn't conveniently "go missing" or you'd get replacement costs for it!

My sister did this when moving from CA to TX, because the Post Office in TX (when she was visiting) wouldn't give her a box until the house closed and title was transferred, she had utilities bills at that location, had gotten her new driver's license, and her husband was there (in person) to sign the box rental agreement (with HIS new driver's license). All of that was insane, considering that the house wasn't closing for at leats a month and they still lived in CA. She rented a box in TX from the UPS store down the street from the CA in about 5 minutes... problem solved.

Old 05-24-2008, 06:09 AM

7,502 posts, read 5,751,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAMFEB31 View Post
I vote for towing the second vehicle if either one is capable of towing the other and is partially towing equipped. Many large American PU and SUV already have a receiver for towing. Even w/fuel prices at this level, towing is less expensive than shipping.
Yes, your other choice of selling one is fine but, finding an equivalent value vehicle up there, in my opinion, do not pencil out vs the extra cost of equipping for towing and the extra fuel. Unless, of course, U are putting in a Rollie type tow bar. One of the reason for selling is the vehicles in question is they are dated and due for a replacement anyway. At your age, I am willing to bet you've already accumulated a lot of keepsakes you are reluctant to part with. That Toad can act like a trailer, within weght limits, of course.
Our towing vehicle is an H3 and believe it or not it gets around 20 mpg on the highway. That of course will go way down towing our other car which is a Pontiac G5. The G5 is small and should tow pretty easy. The G5 is a 2006 so it is pretty new. As far as the "keepsakes" that is mainly pictures, antiques etc.. The "stuff" we actually want to keep probably comes out to one pallet around 5-6 high.

Old 05-24-2008, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nephler View Post
We're heading up in a couple of month ourselves from MI. We originally were going to drive all the way up the Alcan. We have sense changed our minds and decided to bypass Canada and take the ferry up from Bellingham. We're taking 2 cars, one pulling a cargo trailer with our stuff.

I just got 2 quotes from shippers out of Seattle, Northland Services and Alaska Marine Lines. They were both much higher in cost than the ferry to carry our trailer and one car. So, we're sticking to just the ferry.
If we can get out of here in time were are going to take the Alcan just for the experience. From what I have read it is not like the days of old and is a really nice ride if you are not in a hurry. Some sections are still gravel but other than that I haven't read any nightmare stories.

Old 05-24-2008, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissingAll4Seasons View Post
The UPS Store and FedEx Kinko mail centers local to you may also allow you to "remotely" purchase a "mailbox" in AK (if your destination or nearby town has one). That way you have an address to mail stuff to and forward your home mail to before you even get there... and those locations are licensed, insured and bonded so you have a good chance that your stuff wouldn't conveniently "go missing" or you'd get replacement costs for it!

My sister did this when moving from CA to TX, because the Post Office in TX (when she was visiting) wouldn't give her a box until the house closed and title was transferred, she had utilities bills at that location, had gotten her new driver's license, and her husband was there (in person) to sign the box rental agreement (with HIS new driver's license). All of that was insane, considering that the house wasn't closing for at leats a month and they still lived in CA. She rented a box in TX from the UPS store down the street from the CA in about 5 minutes... problem solved.
I was thinking about this the other day. I will have my logistic's person, my wife, check into that. We plan on renting for a month or two, if we can, while we look to purchase a home. The word is, I think for xa'at, is that rentals can be tough to find. We asked our buyers agent to see is she could round up something simple, furnished and allows pets.

Old 05-24-2008, 03:27 PM

310 posts, read 777,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossfire600 View Post
Ok, here is another question. We have two vehicles. One of them will need to get to Alaska via a freight carrier. I have looked and well.. I can't find anyone or anything that tells me yup, we can get your car from PA to AK... What knowledge can someone give me on shipping vehicles. Oh, the "knowledge" part comes from my son who was a Marine. In boot and SOI they always told him they were giving him "knowledge" when they taught or told him something
We are moving out next year from Delaware. I had a to jeep I was going to ship but it wasn't worth the cost. Check out Mcnutt transport. I have used them 4 times to ship toys around the country with no complaints. They are on line. They are brokers that deal with about 150 independants that criss cross the country every week.

We have decided to ship my wifes car in the moving van with our stuff and we will drive out with the other towing a travel trailer. We have 2 St. Bernards that we will not fly out.

Old 05-24-2008, 08:06 PM

11 posts, read 41,788 times
We are checking into shipping a car from Michigan this summer. I did the quotes two ways - one shipped directly to Alaska for $2400. The other shipped to Seattle for about $800, then shipped to Anchorage for about $1500. So in my mind they are about the same.

Old 05-25-2008, 02:23 AM

395 posts, read 1,717,047 times
Darn it, "Cross", I hope I did not put my foot in my mouth. I cannot find your G5 listed in MotorHome magazine for Dingy/Toad towing (RVer parlance for a towed vehicle) "4 on the floor" or 4 wheels on the ground. The 2006 guide do list a G6 and a Vibe for for towing with either automatic or manual. But then, it may not matter if you use a tow dolly instead of mounting a hitch onto the towed vehicle which may be less expensive anyway. Then, you will have surge brakes on the tow dolly and have some external rear lights mounted. Or the more expensive route of a full trailer large enough to accomodate the car and your keepsake. Good luck on your trip and your choice. Now, I am not sure this choice is a less expensive route instead of selling the wheels'.

Last edited by RAMFEB31; 05-25-2008 at 02:29 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 05-25-2008, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltdontcare View Post
We are moving out next year from Delaware. I had a to jeep I was going to ship but it wasn't worth the cost. Check out Mcnutt transport. I have used them 4 times to ship toys around the country with no complaints. They are on line. They are brokers that deal with about 150 independants that criss cross the country every week.

We have decided to ship my wifes car in the moving van with our stuff and we will drive out with the other towing a travel trailer. We have 2 St. Bernards that we will not fly out.
Wow, I got an estimate on McNutt and it was only $1500.00 which would be an awesome deal compared to the other quote I got which was $3,500. Filed that one in my browser favorites!

Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska