Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2022, 07:59 AM

1,811 posts, read 899,992 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDawg View Post
I imagine you could snowmachine from the Russian coast to Little Diomede if the sea froze just right, but I wouldn't advise anyone to try it.
It seldom freezes just right. Most folks that try to make that trek do it on foot. It often doesn’t end well.

https://apnews.com/article/802c3f0d5...2799fcd31c40d0
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2022, 10:47 AM

2,043 posts, read 1,659,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDawg View Post
I imagine you could snowmachine from the Russian coast to Little Diomede if the sea froze just right, but I wouldn't advise anyone to try it.

It's not a lake. Ice in that area is not static, it's always moving.

Old 08-28-2022, 10:51 PM

4,412 posts, read 4,902,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post
dare I ask what's the problem with going though Canada?
Many Americans don't have the required vaccines to enter Canada.

Canada also doesn't let Americans transport their firearms into the country.

Canada doesn't allow visitors who have had a DUI. I don't know how many Americans that is but I'm sure it's in the millions.

I'm not suggesting the OP falls into any of these categories, but a friend of mine was turned away at the border because he didn't have proof of car insurance. The insurance company eventually faxed it to the border station but the snafu ate up most of a day.

Some people would rather avoid being at the whim of a foreign government.

When I drove to Alaska we were taken into a room at the Canadian border with Washington and interviewed. Meanwhile, Canadian border patrol was emptying our Ford Explorer and the trailer we were towing in a parking lot. So we got to pack twice. Once in Oregon before leaving, and a second time with all our stuff getting rained on at the border. I understand the interview, they wanted to make sure we had the means to get all the way to Alaska and wouldn't become permanent visitors to their country. Not sure of the reason for unpacking and going through all our stuff. This was back in the late 90's. Maybe they thought we were smuggling in cheap USA cigarettes. That was a thing back then.

Last edited by terracore; 08-28-2022 at 11:03 PM..

Old 08-29-2022, 09:57 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,552,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terracore View Post
Many Americans don't have the required vaccines to enter Canada.

Canada also doesn't let Americans transport their firearms into the country.

Canada doesn't allow visitors who have had a DUI. I don't know how many Americans that is but I'm sure it's in the millions.

I'm not suggesting the OP falls into any of these categories, but a friend of mine was turned away at the border because he didn't have proof of car insurance. The insurance company eventually faxed it to the border station but the snafu ate up most of a day.

Some people would rather avoid being at the whim of a foreign government.

When I drove to Alaska we were taken into a room at the Canadian border with Washington and interviewed. Meanwhile, Canadian border patrol was emptying our Ford Explorer and the trailer we were towing in a parking lot. So we got to pack twice. Once in Oregon before leaving, and a second time with all our stuff getting rained on at the border. I understand the interview, they wanted to make sure we had the means to get all the way to Alaska and wouldn't become permanent visitors to their country. Not sure of the reason for unpacking and going through all our stuff. This was back in the late 90's. Maybe they thought we were smuggling in cheap USA cigarettes. That was a thing back then.
Canada does allow the transport of certain guns through Canada to Alaska.

"The Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) reminds travellers transiting through Canada to and from Alaska to declare any firearms in their possession to a CBSA officer when entering Canada. Failure to declare firearms may result in criminal prosecution in a court of law."

https://www.canada.ca/en/border-serv...an-border.html

"When crossing the border into Canada, hunters must declare all firearms in their possession. Declared rifles and shotguns may be carried through Canada while in transit to Alaska. Certain types of handguns are not permitted in Canada under any circumstances. Other handguns may be carried into Canada under certain circumstances."

https://adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm?ad...rticles_id=695

Old 08-29-2022, 03:57 PM

4,412 posts, read 4,902,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Canada does allow the transport of certain guns through Canada to Alaska.

"The Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) reminds travellers transiting through Canada to and from Alaska to declare any firearms in their possession to a CBSA officer when entering Canada. Failure to declare firearms may result in criminal prosecution in a court of law."

https://www.canada.ca/en/border-serv...an-border.html

"When crossing the border into Canada, hunters must declare all firearms in their possession. Declared rifles and shotguns may be carried through Canada while in transit to Alaska. Certain types of handguns are not permitted in Canada under any circumstances. Other handguns may be carried into Canada under certain circumstances."

https://adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm?ad...rticles_id=695
Good to know. I thought all handguns were prohibited.

Old 08-29-2022, 04:36 PM

7,321 posts, read 6,925,052 times
You might look into "The Alaska Outdoor Forum"
There are many considerations one must consider before moving there.
One method being used for moving there is a shipping container, the trick is to pack it as though it will be turned upside down and rolled down hill. Most furniture doesn't make it in one piece (they tell me) even if you haul it yourself. The roads are rough.
You probably think I am exaggerating but this is from several folks that have made the journey, not me. not yet.
Ideally, furniture that can be disassembled and then packed might survive better.
Guns might be better handled through an FFL than trying to take them along with you.
Your vehicle needs to be winterized and rough road ready, there are not a lot of services along the way to help with special needs. New tires and at least 2 real spares, not doughnut temporary.
You can have a newspaper from Anchorage sent to you, to get an idea of what's happening and advice on places to stay and or avoid, or explore the job market.

Old 08-29-2022, 05:28 PM

1,004 posts, read 1,189,020 times
Forget the Anchorage newspaper idea. It is hardly big enough to be put in the bottom of the bird cage. You won't find enough information in it to be worth the trouble, and run by devout democrats who ignore any news of the other side.

Old 08-29-2022, 07:04 PM

2,623 posts, read 1,217,629 times
I like Alaska

Old 08-29-2022, 08:00 PM

10,557 posts, read 7,755,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terracore View Post

Canada doesn't allow visitors who have had a DUI. .
I didn't know that. Had to look it up- sure enough. Looks like a fairly new law, as of 2018.

That's OK by me, along with their other restrictions.

Old 08-30-2022, 10:26 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,552,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post
I didn't know that. Had to look it up- sure enough. Looks like a fairly new law, as of 2018.

That's OK by me, along with their other restrictions.
It's not a new law. DUI's are considered a more serious offence on your first conviction in Canada.

In 2018 the law changed to add stricter penalties and time related rehabilitation rules, which may affect a foreigner from entering Canada differently than before.

In Canada the level of offences are indictable, hybrid and summary. We do not have misdemeanours or felonies.

DUI laws in Canada have been federal since 1921. DUI's are indictable offences even on your first offence. Indictable offences are similar to your felonies.

In the US first offences DUI's are usually misdemeanours.

So anyone with an indictable ( felony ) offence on their record, is going to have a more difficult time entering Canada.

If you do have a DUI, it's not impossible to enter Canada, just read up on what needs to be done, and hope the border agent agrees.

Last edited by Natnasci; 08-30-2022 at 10:44 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska