U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Old 12-10-2009, 02:22 PM
 
Location: In a time warp
781 posts, read 779,894 times
Reputation: 780
Which state are you moving to which doesn't have the problems you mention, 2riversak? You gripe about people moving in, but I notice that you're not a native Alaskan, either. Furthermore, wherever you go, there'll be people much like yourself who grumble about you moving into "their" area. If you think Alaska has scumbags, you're in for a rude awakening in the lower 48. Crime is through the roof. I'm a native Washingtonian, and this place is a shell of it's former self. The population in this country is growing by leaps and bounds, but contrary to what you posted, Alaska is certainly NOT leading that charge. It ranks 27th out of 50 states with Utah being first, and AZ second. Alaska will NEVER be one of the most popular states simply because of the climate and it's remote location. Most people prefer warmer climes, and that will always temper growth. Food stamps are up dramatically everywhere, and that's due to the p i s s poor economy. Unless you're heading to eastern MT, the Dakotas, Wyoming, or a handful of other remote areas, you're not going to escape that which you complain about. And, the areas I mentioned will present their own problems.

PS: The population estimate for 2008 in Alaska is 686,293. I can tell you're upset, but look into facts instead of allowing emotion to get in the way. I practice this myself. Good luck.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-10-2009, 05:25 PM
 
Location: Over the Rainbow...
5,964 posts, read 6,859,102 times
Reputation: 3058
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadicBear View Post
Which state are you moving to which doesn't have the problems you mention, 2riversak? You gripe about people moving in, but I notice that you're not a native Alaskan, either. Furthermore, wherever you go, there'll be people much like yourself who grumble about you moving into "their" area. If you think Alaska has scumbags, you're in for a rude awakening in the lower 48. Crime is through the roof. I'm a native Washingtonian, and this place is a shell of it's former self. The population in this country is growing by leaps and bounds, but contrary to what you posted, Alaska is certainly NOT leading that charge. It ranks 27th out of 50 states with Utah being first, and AZ second. Alaska will NEVER be one of the most popular states simply because of the climate and it's remote location. Most people prefer warmer climes, and that will always temper growth. Food stamps are up dramatically everywhere, and that's due to the p i s s poor economy. Unless you're heading to eastern MT, the Dakotas, Wyoming, or a handful of other remote areas, you're not going to escape that which you complain about. And, the areas I mentioned will present their own problems.

PS: The population estimate for 2008 in Alaska is 686,293. I can tell you're upset, but look into facts instead of allowing emotion to get in the way. I practice this myself. Good luck.

It doesn't matter whether one is a Native Alaskan or not and they decide to leave. Alaska is full of transplants. I have a good friend who was born and raised in Anchorage. She chose to leave Alaska a few months ago to explore other States. The reason being she was tired of the winters and wanted something different.

BTW, food stamp usage is up in Alaska. Take a look at the following link. Scroll down, the States are listed on the right hand side.

Food stamp stimulus hits state economies
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-10-2009, 05:40 PM
 
Location: In a time warp
781 posts, read 779,894 times
Reputation: 780
Hi, Pat. I'm not sure I follow your point about native Alaskans. My point was that 2riversak is complaining about hordes of people moving to Alaska, but he/she is a transplant as well. It screams hypocrisy to me. As far as the food stamps go, your link serves to reinforce my point that food stamp usage is up dramatically everywhere, and Alaska is not, by any means, experiencing the spike that other places are. Take a look at that chart, and you will find that 43 other states had larger increases in food stamp usage than Alaska.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-10-2009, 06:22 PM
 
Location: Over the Rainbow...
5,964 posts, read 6,859,102 times
Reputation: 3058
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadicBear View Post
Hi, Pat. I'm not sure I follow your point about native Alaskans. My point was that 2riversak is complaining about hordes of people moving to Alaska, but he/she is a transplant as well. It screams hypocrisy to me. As far as the food stamps go, your link serves to reinforce my point that food stamp usage is up dramatically everywhere, and Alaska is not, by any means, experiencing the spike that other places are. Take a look at that chart, and you will find that 43 other states had larger increases in food stamp usage than Alaska.

Hi Nomadic, what I meant about Native Alaskans was the point that they also move out of Alaska, not just transplants. I understand what you pointed out about hypocrisy; I think what it is people move here hoping to escape what they are leaving behind and then when alot of the things start to creep in such as crime, unemployment, etc. they become disillusioned.

Most of the people that I have heard complain that there are too many people moving up here were new to Alaska themselves. But I've also heard some old timers complain of the same thing and that how things have changed.

Many don't like the long winters or things just go sour for them. That is why folks on the Alaska forum always stress to those moving up here to check things out thoroughly, be sure they have employment and/or lots of funds.

I was pointing out with that chart that food stamps usage has also increased here in Alaska given our smaller population. I noted the estimated 2008 population was 686,293. The recession is catching up with us here.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-10-2009, 06:45 PM
 
Location: In a time warp
781 posts, read 779,894 times
Reputation: 780
Thanks for the clarification, Pat. I understand people's frustration with things changing as it can be a bitter pill to swallow. I can't stand what's happened to WA, but I realize I cannot control or change it, so I've decided to search out a different place which may, or may not, be more to my liking. You never know until you try. If I move to Alaska, I'll be prepared, and will certainly have enough funds to leave should I not be able to accomplish what I hope to.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-10-2009, 06:59 PM
 
Location: Over the Rainbow...
5,964 posts, read 6,859,102 times
Reputation: 3058
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadicBear View Post
Thanks for the clarification, Pat. I understand people's frustration with things changing as it can be a bitter pill to swallow. I can't stand what's happened to WA, but I realize I cannot control or change it, so I've decided to search out a different place which may, or may not, be more to my liking. You never know until you try. If I move to Alaska, I'll be prepared, and will certainly have enough funds to leave should I not be able to accomplish what I hope to.

You're welcome. What part of Washington are you in if you don't mind my asking? How has it changed? I would like to visit Port Orchard one day and the Puget Sound area.

Yes you are right that none of us can control or change things and it is a good option to search out different places, and as you said, you never know until you try. If someone had said to me about 10 years ago that I'd be living in Alaska, I would have thought they had lost their mind. .
My family as well as husband's family thought we were nuts for moving up here, matter of fact, they still think we're nuts for living here lol.

What part of Alaska are you interested in moving to?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-10-2009, 07:23 PM
 
15,791 posts, read 15,131,782 times
Reputation: 6865
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2riversak View Post
We are 15+year Alaskans going to leave probably within a year. Why? Partly because of the influx of scumbags from the lower 48 who have come here. Food stamps are up 28% and Alaska now is over 800,000 people, with most moving to Fairbanks and Anchorage. Alaska is now the second highest state for new people moving in. On top of that, the rising costs in heating oil, fuel and groceries is starting to take it's toll on us. My husband and I have good paying jobs and watch it all go to the oil and electric companies. The military is another reason for us going. While yes we are proud to have our freedom. I would love to have the statistics on how much crime is commited (rape, murder, DUI, burglary) by military. Each year for the last 8 years, the military has grown to the point that because of them, housing prices and rent is no longer affordable. Most dont like living here and complain about it constantly and always ask for a military discount wherever they go. No to mention how they try to get PFD's with absolutely no intention of staying in alaska and many of them dont even register their cars to alaska. I love Alaska and would love to stay but it just isnt as nice as it use to be here. I have talked to many who came up with no jobs, no housing lined up and they just go sign up for welfare, low income housing, etc. It would be nice if they used some of the PFD money to send these idiots home. While Alaska has always had it's share of people who move up here with high expectations only to realize it isn't the place they expected, there are more moving who dont respect Alaska and all that it has to offer than people moving here who will take care of the land. I will miss it here, too bad so many had to ruin it for the rest of us.
Bye now.

Food stamp usage is up everywhere.

As far as your comments on the military not paying taxes into the state, I wasn't aware that Alaska has a state income tax. And if they are trying to get PDFs, they probably won't get them unless they qualify and if they get them under false pretenses it's a prosecutable offense. I'd like to see some stats on your allegations concerning the crimes they commit also, got any?

It needs to be noted that the posters comments are specific to urban Alaska. I've seen very little of what she describes in other parts of the state and I've got a bit more than fifteen years into it. The Anchorage/Fairbanks areas certainly have their growing pains but I think that a couple with "good jobs" who really like the place would be able to have a reasonable quality of life. What other people are doing...getting food stamps, being out of work, being in the military, etc., just shouldn't matter that much.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 12-10-2009 at 07:37 PM..
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-10-2009, 07:33 PM
 
Location: In a time warp
781 posts, read 779,894 times
Reputation: 780
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskapat528 View Post
You're welcome. What part of Washington are you in if you don't mind my asking? How has it changed? I would like to visit Port Orchard one day and the Puget Sound area.

Yes you are right that none of us can control or change things and it is a good option to search out different places, and as you said, you never know until you try. If someone had said to me about 10 years ago that I'd be living in Alaska, I would have thought they had lost their mind. .
My family as well as husband's family thought we were nuts for moving up here, matter of fact, they still think we're nuts for living here lol.

What part of Alaska are you interested in moving to?
Hi, Pat. I was born in Kirkland, but I'm in the South Sound area. There are many things to love about WA, and it will always be my home state, but the over-development, overpopulation and the horrendous destruction of the natural environment (amongst other things) have finally gotten to me. There are fewer and fewer outdoor places to get away anymore, and that's rapidly shrinking. The loggers and developers have done irreparable damage, and my long term goals aren't compatible with the moneyed interests of the area.

I know Port Orchard well. I lived in North Kitsap for several years. If you go there, you should check out Kingston, Poulsbo, Port Gamble, Bainbridge Island, and all the other little seaside towns, even take a trip over to the Olympic Peninsula.

As far as the WHERE in Alaska, that's what I'm trying to figure out. From all of the research I've done, the Kenai Peninsula seems to fit what I'm looking for, but I won't know till I go exploring. I hope to take a trip up this spring.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-11-2009, 01:43 PM
 
251 posts, read 411,303 times
Reputation: 57
Anchorage and fairbanks are really the only areas that matter when it comes to alaska because there are no roads to most other places and no jobs to speak of. You have to have a source of income and most of that income is generated in anchorage or fairbanks so yea of course they are talking about "urban alaska". I have to agree with the problems the military base brings, no alaskans dont pay income tax (which most could not afford after their property taxes and high cost of living) but we do pay pretty heafty property taxes so unless the military members are buying realestate they are not really paying taxes. But really I dont think military is the worse problem alot of it is lax immigration policys with somoans and other 3rd worlders coming in. It would be great if we could control immigration to this state almost like we were a separate country and set up a point system to move here.

The only reason I would leave is if I lost my source of income and could not find a new job in a timely manner for similar income, alaska has a very high cost of living so just having "a job" does not cut it unless you want your quality of life to be at the bottom of the barrel.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-11-2009, 03:57 PM
 
15,791 posts, read 15,131,782 times
Reputation: 6865
Quote:
Originally Posted by rppearso View Post
Anchorage and fairbanks are really the only areas that matter when it comes to alaska because there are no roads to most other places and no jobs to speak of. You have to have a source of income and most of that income is generated in anchorage or fairbanks so yea of course they are talking about "urban alaska". I have to agree with the problems the military base brings, no alaskans dont pay income tax (which most could not afford after their property taxes and high cost of living) but we do pay pretty heafty property taxes so unless the military members are buying realestate they are not really paying taxes. But really I dont think military is the worse problem alot of it is lax immigration policys with somoans and other 3rd worlders coming in. It would be great if we could control immigration to this state almost like we were a separate country and set up a point system to move here.

The only reason I would leave is if I lost my source of income and could not find a new job in a timely manner for similar income, alaska has a very high cost of living so just having "a job" does not cut it unless you want your quality of life to be at the bottom of the barrel.
There is more to Alaska than Anchorage and Fairbanks, and there is an Anchorage forum specific to discussion concerning that city. Not all income is generated in the urban areas; the posters on this board are proof enough of that.

We don't all pay property taxes either
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top